The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 26, 2014, 07:35 PM   #1
Venom1956

Anyone own a Howdah Pistol?

Ill be honest. I watched The Ghost and the Darkness and was like how cool would it be to have a double barrel howdah. .500 S&W would be cool. or .45-70 maybe? Idk if I am manly enough for that.

Does anyone own/fired one? I gather they are unpleasant but so interesting.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old August 26, 2014, 08:38 PM   #2
sgms

Do not own one but have had a chance to fire one, a Petersoli (I think that was the brand) 20 gage black powder front stuffer. Pistol was a real heavyweight and loaded with buck and ball. It was handful but not bad to shoot. Never had a modern cartridge one in my hands so can't help with that one.
Old August 26, 2014, 10:13 PM   #3
Venom1956

Thats super super cool. Totally jealous. I'm not a huge magnum guy but Those look huge enough to eat up most of the energy. Kinda like the 500. That guns massive so shots aren't that big a deal.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old August 26, 2014, 10:24 PM   #4
Wyosmith

I made one once in a side by side 16 bore (66 cal) percussion muzzleloader. It was cool and fun to shoot, but you have to hang on.
Old August 26, 2014, 10:35 PM   #5
mete

The Lancaster 4 barrel is the one I want ,probably in 44 mag. But then I'd have to buy an elephant .
Old August 27, 2014, 12:18 AM   #6
Bill DeShivs

I'm building a 20 ga. double barreled pistol SBS. I gotta remember to do the paperwork so I can finish it. A little more engraving, then plating the action and it can go back together. It will have 20" bbls until the tax stamp comes in, then I'll cut them to 10".
Old August 27, 2014, 09:56 AM   #7
Venom1956

Over under or SxS? Could u please post me a picture? It sounds excellent! I looked @ the .45-70 derringer but it looks to small. I just like how massive they are and the styles.
Old August 27, 2014, 01:48 PM   #8
Bill DeShivs

I'll try to post a pic soon.
The gun is a SxS. It will be about 17 inches long when finished.
Old August 28, 2014, 06:32 PM   #9
Venom1956

I am drooling. Ill even take a long barreled picture.
Old August 28, 2014, 06:40 PM   #10
Model12Win

I don't own one but I WANT the Pedersoli 20 gauge Howdah!

I WANT IT BAD!!!
Old August 28, 2014, 07:16 PM   #11
Bill DeShivs

Here is the gun I'm modeling it after. Mine will be a double trigger, with engraving.
I'll take pics of the frame/grip later when I'm in the shop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg holland auto burglar.jpg (220.9 KB, 123 views)
Old August 28, 2014, 11:04 PM   #12
Bill DeShivs

Pictures.
I'm re engraving the terrible factory engraving on the action.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4037.JPG (44.6 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4038.JPG (40.4 KB, 79 views)
Old August 28, 2014, 11:28 PM   #13
USCS

I first saw a couple of Howdah Pistols at the Royal Armories in Leeds, UK. They were SxS break action pistols chambered in several of the big game cartridges in use at the time. I seem to remember them as rather plain working guns not engraved show pieces. I remember thinking the tiger would have to be climbing the elephant's trunk before I'd fire one of those pistols, the recoil must have been spectacular!

If anyone gets to Leeds go to the Royal Armouries Museum. It is well worth the side trip, plan to spend the day.
Old August 29, 2014, 12:03 AM   #14
Bill DeShivs

Most howdah guns were capable of firing ball or shot loads.
Many were elaborate, many were plain.
Old August 29, 2014, 10:04 AM   #15
aarondhgraham

Quote:
I remember thinking the tiger would have to be climbing the elephant's trunk before I'd fire one of those pistols,
I believe that was their exact intent,,,
To be used only at bad breath distances.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old August 29, 2014, 06:19 PM   #16
SVO

I'm getting old and the little gray cells aren't what they used to be But. I seem to remember that Lee Juras did up some T/C Contenders as Howdah Pistols. If I remember correctly, the caliber was called a .500 Howdah, based on a a cut down Winchester 450 Magnum case. If I'm remembering correctly.
Old August 30, 2014, 09:50 PM   #17
Creek Henry

It looks like a few people have used HRs to do this! I'd like 2 shots when fighting tigers though.

Old September 13, 2014, 07:21 AM   #18
prm

Creek - I don't think the BATF would see the humor in folks making those.

I do own one of the Pedersoli 20X20 Howdahs. The gun is a hoot. I get good accuracy and performance with 40 grains of FFG and a .60 patched round ball. It also patterns great with Ball and #4 buck shot out to about 15 yards.

I guess it has its place as far as a range novelty and a close distances would definitely be an attention getter. As far as being practical? It's too short to be a serious hunting arm, and I would rather have six shots out of my 1858 Remington .44 as the two .60 caliber balls from the Howdah.

I did spend a hundred bucks and had a custom holster made for mine patterned after the one showed. It always starts conversations... Guess it comes down to what you want.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ORIG_1335340547_howdah_leather_holster_1.jpg (133.4 KB, 37 views)
Old September 13, 2014, 02:05 PM   #19
Bill DeShivs

BATF could care less, as long as you do it legally.
Old September 13, 2014, 03:55 PM   #20
prm

Quote:
BATF could care less, as long as you do it legally.
That's saying a lot without being specific. Most folks who are doing a "bubba job" on a $49 dollar shotgun aren't complying with NFA.

As far as BATF taking it seriously... seems that was the exact activity that precipitated charges against Randy Weaver leading to the stand off at Ruby Ridge.

http://www.class3classifieds.com/nfa-rules-guidelines/
Old September 13, 2014, 09:25 PM   #21
Bill DeShivs

I think we are all experienced enough to understand that laws must be complied with. No one here is suggesting that anyone should make a sawed-off shotgun illegally.
I'll say it again- BATF could care less, as long as you do it legally.
Old September 13, 2014, 10:10 PM   #22
Lost Sheep

500 Smith over/under

For several years I have posted that the 500 Smith& Wesson cartridge chambered in a two-shot break-open pistol that could be carried holstered easily in the woods would be an ideal piece for protection against bears and such. You are not likely to get more than two shots if jumped and it would be a lot handier than the X-Framed Smith my friend has for that purpose.

Figure 12" overall length for a decent length barrel and with the over/under barrel configuration a lot more compact than the revolver.

Presto! The modern Howdah.

Lost Sheep