The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 24, 2012, 07:36 PM   #1
jeffrey1121

Mini14 factory mag won't seat?

I just bought a new Mini-14 ranch a couple weeks ago and though i'm mostly happy with it, i'm having a magazine issue with it.

The 5 round factory magazine that came with it has stopped seating properly. Initially (as in the first couple times i took it to the range) the mag worked just fine....except for on a couple occasions when i would reload it with the bolt closed i noticed it wouldn't seat. The magazine would partially rock in, but during the second stage of the rocking in it would "gum up" and not catch on the magazine latch. I'm a big dude too--6'1 280lbs, so it's not for lack of strength.

so at the range whenever this would happen i would simply put the bolt in the hold open position and load it this way, which works fine.

over time the problem has gotten progressively worse to the point where the magazine will only seat properly from the hold-open position.

does this sound like a problem that could be blamed on a bad magazine? or something more serious? my understanding is that ruger factory mags are the most reliable for the Mini-14.
Old July 24, 2012, 07:57 PM   #2
Creeper

Quote:
I just bought a new Mini-14 ranch a couple weeks ago
I guess the obvious answer here is, call Ruger... they'll fix it.

Cheers,
C
Old July 24, 2012, 08:47 PM   #3
Apple a Day

First thing I'd do is check the front of the magazine and see if there's any strange wear or damage to the area where the front hole is located. I'd make double sure I was getting the front of the magazine all the way into position before rocking it back.
Then I'd clean the magazine and the mag well thoroughly.
Then I'd make sure I'm seating all of the rounds all the way to the rear of the magazine.
I wouldn't force it ever.

What about other magazines? Have you tried any others and have you had the same problem with them?

I have some polymer Thermold magazines that I had that problem with. I smoothed them down with a Dremmel because the feed lips were dragging on the bottom of the bolt. I wouldn't try that with a metal mag, though.
Old July 24, 2012, 08:52 PM   #4
jeffrey1121

i did call ruger and they are sending me a replacement mag, i'm just waiting on it. i'm hoping it's only the mag but i wanted some opinions here...

and no, i don't have any other mags to try with it.
Old July 25, 2012, 11:46 AM   #5
Edward429451

Mine did that too. Its a new mag, new gun and stiff. Download two rounds in the Mag and I bet it works then. After you get more rounds downrange and things loosen up a little it should clear up.
Old July 26, 2012, 04:35 AM   #6
rickyrick

I always load mags with the bolt open, otherwise it will dent the top round. Anyways, it still sounds like to much effort is required. My factory 5 rd can be installed with a finger.
Old July 28, 2012, 12:29 PM   #7
rugerfreak

What about with an empty mag?
Old July 29, 2012, 10:52 AM   #8
Rogervzv

Quote:
I always load mags with the bolt open, otherwise it will dent the top round. Anyways, it still sounds like to much effort is required. My factory 5 rd can be installed with a finger.
The Mini 14 is designed for the magazine to be inserted with the bolt open. I wonder if the OP was trying to load it with the bolt closed.

Tags
factory magazine , mini-14 , problem