The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 2, 2013, 08:48 AM   #1
MajorNapalm

Repairing Spots on Shotgun Stock

I have a Winchester 50 shotgun, circa 1955, which has a very nice walnut stock. It had two spots of a tar-like substance that I removed with Goo Gone. Yes, of course, then I sanded just the spots with a 280 or so grit sandpaper. Now the spots won't take any stain or finish type product. They just sit there looking dull and grinning at me. I hate it when they do that.

I'm guessing I took too much or not enough of the finish off!? Mea culpa.

Please help. I know not what the original finish was. I doubt it was poly, maybe it was lacquer, but now I'm out of my league.

Thanks,

Jerry
Old October 2, 2013, 05:52 PM   #2
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Well, goop-off or goo-gone might have thinned the old finish enough that it soaked on down into the wood pours, I don't know. If the finish is gone, down to bare wood, then it should accept a finish, stain or varnish.

Winchester used a Linseed based oil finish, and a red-brown stain (just a touch of red). I think Connecticut Shotgun has the original formula, and offers small bottles for sale, since they make the 21 double now.

I have a like-new 50 feather weight, and I just looked at the finish on it to make sure, so the color and finish should be the same as your's.

Some folks don't like the 50, but I happen to be a big fan of them. IMO, they were well made. Winchester got a bad rap with the semi-autos they had before the 50, but the 50 worked.

http://www.connecticutshotgun.com/

http://www.csmcspecials.com/category_s/12.htm
Old October 7, 2013, 04:18 PM   #3
MajorNapalm

Thanks, Dixie, for your well thought out and helpful response.

I like the 50, too, because it has no cutie pie crap on it. It's just pure gun.