The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 3, 2011, 06:01 AM   #26
egor20

My wife bought me a Bakers rifle (the one from *Sharpes Rifles" on BBC), I've fired it 3 times. Its now a wall hanger. TBH I really do not have the patients to be a Black Powder guy.

EDIT:

Sorry I just noticed that this is a BP revolver thread; No I don't own one, But if I ever decide to it would be a pair of Colt Walker's.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand

Last edited by egor20; July 3, 2011 at 06:10 AM.
Old July 8, 2011, 08:20 PM   #27
William_IV

...So I purchased the 1860 army pietta from cabelas, I was a little disgruntled because the sales clerk couldn't find the box for the specific one I wanted and he banged the barrel against the frame of the glass cabinet when he took it out to show it to me. I finally had to choose the other display model which had a slight blemish on the handle, but he was able to locate the box which was also ripped up because the sales associates don't know how to open and close boxes apparently.

Long story short I got a slight discount on the gun because of above and they happened to have had two price tags that contradicted each other. All this when cab is celebrating 150th anniversary of the civil war and had a large spread in their flyer on BP revolvers? You would think they would have been prepared for a lot of customers coming in to check them out! Not to complain but it is frustrating when the buying experience goes bad, that's important to me.

Regardless of all this I am really glad I bought the gun and hope next time will be a better experience. The pietta felt good in the hand, it appears to be very well made it had a steel frame, nice detail and makes you want to just go out and get another. All this said I'm wondering about black powder, what is the best? And what is pyrodex? The canister says it is a black powder substitute, what does this mean? I was kind of hoping to shoot the real stuff. Also what brand of caps and balls should I get? And what diameter? It is a .45 but I see there are still different diameters?

Thanks for the great posts; I'm going to re-read them. I think some of you may already have answered my questions.
Old July 8, 2011, 08:41 PM   #28
William_IV

Quote:
Many on here will tell you they need work right out of the box and to view them as an unfinished project but they will work fine. yes they can benefit from some action smoothing but I never saw the need with any of mine.
I noticed the wood handles look and feel good but you can feel a slight transition between the handle and the back frame if you are really paying attention, I'm a bit of a wood worker at heart so could imagine making better fitting handles.
Old July 8, 2011, 08:44 PM   #29
mykeal

Quote:
I'm wondering about black powder, what is the best?
Good question. Get 10 people in a room and you'll get 10 different answers. My opinion, because you asked: Swiss, with Goex a close second and KIK third. All are good products and I wouldn't throw any of them away. All are real black powders, by the way.

Quote:
what is pyrodex? The canister says it is a black powder substitute, what does this mean?
Pyrodex, Triple 7, American Pioneer and others are black powder substitutes, which means they contain different ingredients than real black powder and are classified differently for purposes of storage and transportation. They can essentially be substituted for real black powder, usually one for one on the basis of volume (Triple 7 must be reduced by 15% to get a black powder equivalent load). Many people prefer Pyrodex, while just as many loathe it.

Quote:
what brand of caps and balls should I get? And what diameter?
Just as for powder brands, brands of caps and balls each have their followers. I have no personal preference for a brand of caps as they vary in size; you will probably need to try more than one to find out what fits your gun best. I prefer Speer swaged round balls; I find them more consistent than cast but many people have different ideas. As for diameter, start with .454. If they don't shave a full ring of lead off when loaded into the chamber, move up to .457. If they're too hard to load, move down to .451.

Grips, not handles.
Old July 8, 2011, 08:47 PM   #30
Hawg

Technically it's a .44 even tho it takes .454 balls. Pyrodex is a straight across substitute for bp by volume. Caps are most likely going to be #10(most revolvers are)
Old July 8, 2011, 09:08 PM   #31
William_IV

Quote:
Grips, not handles.
Thanks for correcting me.

I see Doc Hoy had a great post on components at the beginning of this thread.

I'll read more posts about powder before I buy.
Old July 8, 2011, 09:36 PM   #32
Hawg

You wont see real bp on a shelf due to regulations. You'll have to ask for it. Most places don't stock it. You can order online in bulk.
Old July 9, 2011, 01:14 AM   #33
William_IV

Quote:
You wont see real bp on a shelf due to regulations. You'll have to ask for it. Most places don't stock it. You can order online in bulk.
Thanks Hawg

I ended up getting pyrodex 3F equivalent, figure i'll get used to that use it up and by that time maybe have gained enough experience to decide what and where i want to go from there
Old July 9, 2011, 02:49 AM   #34
Doc Hoy

William

I have been at one Bass Pro Shop in Virginia and one Cabelas (PA I think) and nobody in either store seemed to have much knowledge of bp revolvers. I guess salespeople can't know everything.
Old July 9, 2011, 04:03 PM   #35
krazykat

william, i just got my pietta remington 44 a week ago and like me you'll love it as soon as you shoot it.

mine has shot great straight from the box with nothing but an initial cleaning.

i use 27 grains goex fffg, 454 hornady balls (i use a small rag coated with canola oil to wipe the balls, makes them go in easier and will prolong the life of your loading plunger), then some crisco on top of the ball, and remington
#11 caps...at 7 yards, doing my part, i can put them in the same ragged hole.

dont be fooled, these things can shoot very accurately.
Old July 10, 2011, 11:20 PM   #36
Shotput79

Not trying to hijack thread

Just bought my third Remington New Army. My first was the target model, second was the 5.5" model, and this one 8" no target sights. I like the Remingtion cause they're easy to get along with, and the cylinders are easy to get switch out for a fast reload, and fell good in my hand. My biggest problem is I like them all if you can call that a problem . I bought two 1860 Army models, two 1851 Navy models one brass .44 cal I don't think that one counts as a Navy, but it's a fun shooter. the second is a steel frame .36 Navy. All Pietta, and all came from Cabelas. The .36 Colt Navy shoots 6" high and right at 5"s to the left. I know how to take them apart and put them back together, also can replace parts if it ever calls for it. The four Colt revolvers all shoot high about 5 to 6"s I've never done anything to bring the POI down on them I just learned to aim low and it works out good cause my 1911 is the same way. Now when this little .36 came along I want to get it to shoot to POA. I'm no gunsmith and want to know what's the best way to go about fixing it to hit where I point it. The 51 Colt revolvers are pretty cool little revolvers and I like them. The 60 Army revolvers are real nice also. Not sorry I bought any of them. I'm hoping some of you guys can help me get it done without a lot of trouble. May-be some of the new shooters can learn from this also. If I can get this one done I'll try to do the others to bring them down to POA. Thinks for any and all the help I know you fellows have been through this at one time or another. ShotPut

Last edited by Shotput79; July 10, 2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old July 11, 2011, 03:31 AM   #37
Hawg

You can swap out the front sight for a taller one or you can file the hammer notch deeper.
Old July 11, 2011, 10:32 AM   #38
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_IV
So I got the bug for black powder revolver now what?
Since no one has said it yet; unless I missed it, reade GATOFEO's thread on "So you want a cap and ball revolver?" that is stickied at the top of this forum. It will answer about 99% of your questions.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old July 11, 2011, 09:45 PM   #39
ZVP

Great replies with tons of good advice! I don't know how much I can add?
The Army has a slightly longer gtip length and you'll find it does make a big difference to your hold. The Navy grip is similar to the Peacemaker and it does hold a bit different. The Remington holds even different and the cylinder is slightly higher over the axis of your grip even different. If you shoot every one of these, you'll see what I mean.
The handling qualities of different guns makes for a highly opninated and personal "feel".
There is no right and wrong one to choose, you'll know when you find your favorite!
The subtle differences is what makes this hobby so much fun and why we all have at least 3 guns in our "Pile" of revolvers! They're all fun to shoot and even the different calibers feel a lot different from eachother.
Yep yoiu are starting to get hooked and "Hooked" is not a bad place to be! I only own 6 different C&B revolvers but each is different in it's own way. I'm just on my 2nd year of being "Hooked"...
HTH
ZVP
Old July 12, 2011, 01:06 AM   #40
mannyCA

If you think you like your Remmie '58 now, wait until you find out how to load paper cartridges for 'em. You'll be buying powder by the case...
Old July 12, 2011, 02:52 AM   #41
Hawg

Quote:
If you think you like your Remmie '58 now, wait until you find out how to load paper cartridges for 'em. You'll be buying powder by the case..
I find it too time consuming and tedious.
Old July 12, 2011, 07:19 AM   #42
ltc444

Bought my Remington replica in 1972. Still shooting it.

Get an experienced shooter to train you, Curt Cearley was my mentor . It will save some major embarressment. Also a hole in your bedroom door and clothes hamper.

Have used many types of lube. Keep returning to crisco in a flat mustard squeeze bottle. Use hot soapy water to clean. Rinse with hot water and alcohol. Dry thourghly. and oil liberally.

Try squirrel hunting with it. It is fun to hear the bullit thumping branches and watch those same branches falling in slow motion.
Old July 12, 2011, 11:32 AM   #43
Doc Hoy

Read your post about squirrel hunting and the associated sounds, but did not read anything about squirrels chuckling.

This is why I don't hunt..... All the laughter is tough to take.