The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 12, 2009, 03:59 PM   #1
spacecoast

Simple question I hope

In looking at this page - http://reloadammo.com/38loads.htm - I see that the same amount of powder (like 4.8 gr. of HP38) produces velocities of 985 with a lead bullet and 914 with a jacketed bullet, even though both are 125 grain bullets. Why the difference? I am planning to use all jacketed bullets, just want to be sure before I get started.
Old November 12, 2009, 04:13 PM   #2
Ivan

Jacketed bullets have more friction than lubricated Lead bullets.

- Ivan.
Old November 12, 2009, 05:49 PM   #3
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

AND because there is more friction, jacketed bullets will have higher pressures for the same volume of powder as lead bullets. For this reason, most reloading manuals will give you a jacketed load and a lead load. If you use the high end of a lead load with a jacketed bullet, long term use could cause premature wear on the firearm.
Old November 12, 2009, 06:27 PM   #4
Shoney

Actually, the lead expands (many incorrectly call that obturation) because of the pressure, to seal off the gasses, as long as the charge is not producing high pressure. Since the copper alloys do not seal the barrel as easily, more gasses escape past the bullet.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old November 12, 2009, 07:44 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

The lead upsets or expands to obturate (fill and seal off) the bore. So the bore is what is obturated, and not the bullet.

Regarding velocities, this is gun dependent. We are likely seeing results from a revolver. Owing to the barrel-to-cylinder gap, the higher pressure generated earlier in the jacketed bullet's travel means more gas is blown out of that gap than would be the case with the lead bullet. That reduces acceleration in the latter part of the tube. It would be interesting to try the two in a single-shot pistol and see whether the higher pressure overcomes the higher friction or not? I know rifles actually lose a little velocity when you moly coat bullets to reduce friction (due to the start pressure reduction retarding powder burn and, with it, peak pressure).
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle