The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 28, 2015, 06:02 PM   #1
9mmSkeeter

Decapping pin broke, now what?

I was given an old 38 Special RCBS die set probably from the 70s, and I went to deprime my first cases and the pin just snapped off. There's a little rust on the dies so they probably weren't stored the best. Do I replace the decapping pin, and how do i do it? Or do I just buy a new die? Or maybe a whole new die set if this one is really old? Not sure if they are carbide or steel, they came in a green box with the huge lock rings.

Thanks!
Old January 28, 2015, 06:08 PM   #2
jwrowland77

Either A.) buy a new pin, or B.) what most people do, email RCBS and they'll probably send you a new one.
Old January 28, 2015, 06:09 PM   #3
Blindstitch

Remove the decapping pin and inspect it. Then order a replacement.

Try contacting RCBS. I don't break many but I broke one from a Lee last summer and they replace it for free.
Old January 28, 2015, 06:26 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

Call RCBS and tell them it broke.

Then,
remove the decapping stem from the die,
unscrew the 'expander ball' from the decapping stem,
and pull the remaining piece of the decapping pin (if any).

Installation is simply reverse order.

If you find any more issues during disassembly, wait to see what RCBS sends you. Quite often, then send entire decapping stems, rather than just the pins (especially now, with the switch to 'headed' pins).

I only damage the RCBS pins or stems when doing things the die was not designed for, or when doing something completely stupid. Even so... RCBS has always sent free replacements, even when I was brutally honest about the amount of stupidity involved in breaking the tool.
Just to be safe, I have a small collection of .22-.30 caliber decapping stems and expander balls that were salvaged from past incidents, and I always keep a stash of small, large, small 'headed', and large 'headed' pins on hand (just so that I can keep moving along, and call RCBS when I'm done).
Old January 28, 2015, 06:30 PM   #5
condor bravo

In the meantime while waiting for a replacement, you could probably borrow one from another die. Not sure how it happened but I have at least 20 replacement pins. Must be that in other times they provided extra pins with the die sets.

Last edited by condor bravo; January 28, 2015 at 06:49 PM.
Old January 28, 2015, 06:30 PM   #6
jtmckinney

If it isn't a carbide die I would seriously consider getting one and not spending any money or time on an old non-carbide. I have a RCBS die set for 44 mag/special and am considering getting a carbide sizing die just for the convenience of it.
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; When I am stronger than you, I take away your freedoms because that is according to my principles. Frank Herbert "Children of Dune"
Old January 28, 2015, 06:30 PM   #7
Wreck-n-Crew

Broke one in my 9mm Lee Carbide Die last year. Pulled one from a different caliber Die and kept on rolling. Was my fault, carbide or not I forgot to polish my brass after cleaning with lemon juice (left them hard to size) and I had my collate too tight on my decapping pin.
Old January 28, 2015, 09:44 PM   #8
Longshot4

Been there done that one time in 35 years. You should not have a problem finding a new pin. How ever! Perhaps you need to be more careful how you handle your equipment. I have learned to start by setting up the die and carefully feel for the pin to locate in the flash hole then lock the pin in location. I hear people having problems with seating bullets and busting pins. Think of it as a delicate process. Handle the tools with fines. You aren't driving nails of splitting wood. Take that press handle with your finger tips and feel what you are doing. Kind of like squeezing the trigger.
Old January 28, 2015, 09:47 PM   #9
9mmSkeeter

I appreciate the advice but this was not due to mishandling. I have never once broke a decapping pin on any of my dies. The first casing caused this, and it just snapped, like it was rusted.
Old January 28, 2015, 09:50 PM   #10
Nick_C_S

FrankenMauser nailed it.

I know RCBS will send you a freebie. But I went the proactive route and just bought like 5 replacement pins, and 3 assemblies.

Funny thing is, I've never broke one. But I'm ready if I do
Old January 28, 2015, 11:13 PM   #11
hartcreek

RCBS has used at least two different designs in their dies. The old style dies used a decapping pin that had a shoulder on it. You usscrew the sizer and dump out the broken pin and insert another with the pin coming through the sizer.

The newer style the decapping pin fits into a collet.
Old January 29, 2015, 12:47 AM   #12
FrankenMauser

Quote:
RCBS has used at least two different designs in their dies. The old style dies used a decapping pin that had a shoulder on it. You usscrew the sizer and dump out the broken pin and insert another with the pin coming through the sizer.

The newer style the decapping pin fits into a collet.
You've got it backward.

The old style is the straight pin.
The new style is the 'headed' pin.

I can't find a link with the pertinent information on their website, but here is a except from an RCBS catalog:
Quote:
"New" (headed) decapping pins for RCBS dies are available
all Precision dies, # 90164
except 6mm PPC, 7mm TCU, 35 Whelen, 357 Sig, 358 Winchester/356 Winchester, 416 Remington Magnum. [**]
"Regular" decapping pins for older RCBS dies are available
.22 through .25 caliber use small pins, # 09608
6.5mm through .45 use large pins, # 09609
**I don't know what these exceptions are supposed to be, and there isn't a part number listed for them. I do have a set of .35 Whelen dies made after the switch to 'headed' pins, and the pin is.... headed.
Old January 29, 2015, 11:45 AM   #13
hooligan1

I have an plder set of rcbs dies, .38 special, and at one time I was going to loads some but my dies were rusty, I just dropped them into my thumlers tumbler overnight and they came out brand new....
Call rcbs, and they will send you the parts,,over the years they have never charged me a penny for anything they have mailed me.....I do break stuff once in awhile, and usually it's like FrankenMauser said stupidity.....,,thank god for RCBS's customer service..
Old January 29, 2015, 12:35 PM   #14
g.willikers

Quote:
Not sure if they are carbide or steel
It's easy to see the difference.
The carbide version has a ring of different metal around the entrance.
Old January 29, 2015, 12:50 PM   #15
rsnell

Number 12 post is correct. I just replaced a decapping pin in an old die (about 25 years old). I called RCBS and was informed that the pin design had changed but they would send me a decapping rod and pin. I ask for several extra pins. I received the rod and pins in about 6 days at no cost.

Bob
Old January 31, 2015, 08:22 PM   #16
kostner

Decapping pin broke, now what? There is always bowling or get another pin.
Old February 1, 2015, 08:58 AM   #17
Jeff2131

Ive broken a couple decapping pins on my rcbs dies. What i found out was that it actually worked itself loose over time. I.contacted rcbs, they sent me a whole new decapping rod and a small bag with about 5 spare pins in it. My fix....blue loctite. That was quite awhile ago and i have yet to break a pin or have one loosen up on me.
Old February 1, 2015, 09:08 AM   #18
Smoke & Recoil

Just by chance, did you have an old BERDAN primed case in your set-up ?
Old February 1, 2015, 09:51 AM   #19
rg1

Yes RCBS will send you one for free if possible. In the meantime and you need to use the die you can measure the pin and take a drill the same or close to the diameter of your pin and cut off the shank of a drill. The shank of the drill is tough but not brittle. You need to grind or use an abrasive cut-off wheel to cut the shank of the drill. It's too tough for a regular saw blade.
Old February 3, 2015, 07:01 PM   #20
Ozzieman

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/145...ProductFinding
Last time I had an order from Midway I ordered 50 each small and large. I don’t break them often but for that little coin to have enough to last me the remainder of my life X 10 removes one more frustration in life.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old February 5, 2015, 01:34 AM   #21
Tinbucket

Last edited by Tinbucket; February 5, 2015 at 01:52 AM.
Old February 6, 2015, 09:41 AM   #22
rodfac

If you can't find the right dia. pin from RCBS, mic the one piece you've got and replace it a pin made from the shank of a drill bit of the same dia. Obviously, you'll have to cut/shorten it somewhat, but this has worked for me with an ancient set of Lachmiller dies from the 40's. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old February 7, 2015, 09:23 AM   #23
hammie

I don't think anyone has mentioned this so far. In my early days, I would, on rare occasions, bend or break a decapping pin or rod. I finally bought a Lee universal decapping die and just decapped the spent primers in a separate step. I've decapped buckets full of military 7.62x51mm brass, with crimped in primers, and there was never a hitch. RCBS, Hornady, and Redding also make decapping dies, but the Lee die is cheaper and more robust.

Midwayusa.com sells the Lee decapping die for 13 $ and Midway's catalog/product number is 136543.
Old February 7, 2015, 09:35 AM   #24
trapper9260

I have contact RCBS for brake a pin and they send me 4 replacements for free they said it was under warrenty .I have bought some from a gunsmith before that because I needed it at the time.
Old February 7, 2015, 11:59 AM   #25
hanno

Agree with Hammie, Lee is the way to go. Lee hit it out of the ballpark with this design.

http://www.amazon.com/Lee-LP90292-Pr...+decapping+die