The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 27, 2000, 02:47 PM   #1
Alex Johnson

I've been shooting my 45-70 Shiloh sharps for about two years now and I'd like to try some paper patched bullets in it. Does anybody know a source of commerical molds for a paper patched style bullet?
Old April 27, 2000, 03:10 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alex Johnson:
I've been shooting my 45-70 Shiloh sharps for about two years now and I'd like to try some paper patched bullets in it. Does anybody know a source of commerical molds for a paper patched style bullet? [/quote]

Lyman or Lee would be the logical first place to start...

After that, I'd get on the Web and see what you can scare up through Google or one of the other sites.

Old April 27, 2000, 06:05 PM   #3
Robert Foote

Lots of luck. I have a great Yugo I would like to sell you. I dabbled with paper patching with my Shiloh .45-70 some years back, having the chamber reamed slightly for paper patch bullets, buying the RCBS adjustable mold for it, and all the impedimenta that goes with it. What I wound up with was an oversized forward chamber, bullets (from two molds) that did not cast to the size specified, and considerable aggravation. I can guarantee that every 'expert' you consult will tell you something different that will cost you money before you fire a shot. But if you are determinied to throw your money away there is an outfit called Buffalo Arms up in Idaho that will take it. I eventually figured out that it's simpler to go with a proven grooved (Postell type) bullet and forget paper patching. I will probably be putting a new barrel on my Shiloh one of these days--sort of learner's fee. Consider yourself warned.

No wonder I love loading .30 caliber Sierra Match King bullets--follow instructions and they shoot like a house afire.

------------------
Old April 27, 2000, 09:47 PM   #4
Alex Johnson

I have to admit I wondered why their weren't a whole lot of shooters using the paper patch. I like the looks of them, but I'm sure not going to have my Shiloh modified to satisfy that whim.
Old April 28, 2000, 05:27 AM   #5
Bud Helms

Alex,

By all accounts, paper patching is more trouble than it's worth, unless you are a high fidelity "purist" or reenactor. For some possibilities try Terry Labbe at Magnus Bullets in Tomey, AL. If he can't help, visit Walt Melander at NEI Handtools, Inc in Scapoose, OR.

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited April 28, 2000).]