The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 20, 2006, 09:17 PM   #1
VUPDblue

subsonic loads that will cycle ar15?

Anyone know of any reduced loads that will be subsonic that will actually cycle the action of an AR15? I have been able to find only one, but I am pretty sure it will not function an AR's action. There is a company out there that sells subsonic .223 that will function, but it is awfully expensive. I know that you all probably will want to tell me that ballistics of a reduced .223 suck, but quite frankly I just want to hear (or not hear, as it were) my AR being COMPLETELY silent. It is suppressed, BTW.
Thanks,
Nick
Old February 21, 2006, 06:02 PM   #2
Rico567

I don't know how the commercial loads do it, but to drop down to under 1200 fps (or whatever the subsonic velocity is) is a pretty good trick in a gas gun. Most reduced loadings in non-semiautos rely on a faster than normal powder, and usually some kind of filler for the rest of the case. In any event, the faster powder will produce a narrower, peakier pressure spike, and I think that's where the difficulty arises.....you can't just keep increasing the powder charge to produce more pressure, the pressure has to be spread out more over time.

- Mark Twain
Old February 21, 2006, 07:18 PM   #3
KC135

None.

Whisper will, but uses a 180 to 220gr bullet.
Old February 21, 2006, 08:31 PM   #4
VUPDblue

The recipe I have calls for a 42gr bullet on top of 4gr Blue Dot. I tried these and they do not cycle completely. They do chrono at about 1000fps just not enough gas to do the job. I will not rest until I find the load
Old February 22, 2006, 07:29 PM   #5
Tacoma

I've used blue dot under a variaty of bullets from 40-55 gr. With just the right amount of BD, you can drive these bullets between 1000 and 2500 fps and still have them (a la .22 lr) quiet. Accuracy at 100 is great. Still, none I've tried will come close to cycling a std AR spring.