The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 25, 1999, 04:14 PM   #1
_bill_

In general, how do the Remington 870 and Winchester 1300 models compare in reliabilty, operability and maintenance? Is there a consensus that one in significantly better than the other or are they about the same?
Old July 25, 1999, 10:28 PM   #2
Cat

I owned a 1300 Defender briefly. I owned an 870 for over 25 years. Remington makes the better shotgun now that the Winchester Model 12 is no longer made. (Am I bitter? Hell Yes).
Cat
Old July 25, 1999, 10:43 PM   #3
Rob Pincus

I had to read the topic 5 times to figure out why it struck as me as odd....

I like them both and I have owned them both. I really have no preference, though accesories, opinions and 'smiths are much easier to find for the Rem 870.
Old July 26, 1999, 02:14 PM   #4
jacko

I had a winchester 1300 and It had to be one of the most fastest pumps I owned. The reason why I don't have one anymore is that most of the parts are made out of plastic and when firing magnums, pieces of the plastic trigger guard would crack and fall off. Not a reasuring thing when one put's his or her's life on It. So now I own a remington 870 special purpose shotgun that is pretty much all metal and has been proven time and again. My father had one in vietnam and it never jammed or broke.

------------------
""Always Watch Your Six""

[This message has been edited by jacko (edited July 26, 1999).]