The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 15, 2000, 07:07 PM   #26
jtduncan

You can find a nice push button flashlight with similar features to a SureFire with similar brightness and spotlight to floodlight controls for under $15 at Wal-Mart.

I'm not a cop but just a guy that wants a trusty flashlight for my nightstand and my Glock 30.

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter - TFL/GT/UGW/PCT/KTOG
Old August 16, 2000, 10:42 AM   #27
Mikul

jtduncan, have you seen the light that comes out of a SureFire? It's bright; REAL bright. I took my 2D cell battery out and compared it to the 6Z and it was no contest. The D cell light looked enemic. I love flashlights, and the only one I own that's brighter is my dry cell which is brighter than your average headlight (I actually illuminated a Piper Cub that was flying over my house one night with it... with the dry cell, that is).

I can't imagine a $15 WalMart light outshining the SureFire. If it does, then let me know the model. I'll take five.
Old August 16, 2000, 12:15 PM   #28
Ledbetter

Greetings Mikul and all,

Try an inexpensive flashlight from Pelican. They also have Xenon the Warrior Princess bulbs and run on AA batteries. They are not 6 volt lights, but very bright for what they are. I attach one to my pellet gun with velcro for nighttime varminting.

Regards,

Ledbetter
Old August 21, 2000, 03:11 PM   #29
K. Foster

I've compared the Scorpion & SF 6p side by side. It's hard to tell any difference in brightness. IMO, the difference is price of bulbs. With Sure Fire, you have to buy the whole "Lamp Assembly", about $12 to $15. With Streamlight, you just replace the bulb, about $5. I prefer the Scorpion.
Old August 21, 2000, 03:47 PM   #30
Onslaught

I LOVE flashlights, and I've had SureFire, I've still got 2 scorpions, and I've also got a Pelican. They're all great, it just depends on what you need em for.

The SureFire seemed to be consistently bright throughout the entire beam. The Scorpion was brighter in the middle. Either is an incredible light. But the batteries last about an hour continuous use. They're expensive too! Both are like a hand held spotlight, but will you need that much light? My 6V lites also have a BAD habit of going dead quick, at inconvenient times. When they do, it's about a 1 minute process. They go from WHITE to YELLOW to NOTHING.
That's why I've gotten a Pelican. $27 for the light that runs on 4 AA batteries. Lasts about 4 hours on new batteries, which I can buy for about $3.95 a 12 pack!!! It's not quite as bright as the 6v's, but it's brighter than any MagLite, and the beam is clean like the 6v's. Streamlight has a new "Pro" series, that also runs off AA's and C's, but is designed like the Scorpion.
If money is no option, and you can afford the large quantity of expensive batteries, get a SureFire. If you like saving a few bucks, but still want a SOLAR FLARE, get a Scorpion. If you need AMPLE light for most situations, and prefer not to have the ongoing cost of EXPENSIVE batteries, get a Pelican or a Streamlight Pro. Get one of each. Use the 6v for your primary, and the 4AA for your reliable backup.

What ever you do, you don't need a 3D cell billy club flashlight any more. There are plenty of great quality, super bright, pocket sized flashlights available. Cost is the determining factor.

[This message has been edited by Onslaught (edited August 21, 2000).]
Old August 21, 2000, 08:34 PM   #31
Guyon

I've been doing a lot of research on the lights, and it has supported what most people are saying here. Scorpions are great lights, but Surefires are superior lights.

Based on this conclusion, I spent the extra $20 or so and ordered a 6z. By the way, Botach Tactical is having a sale on their stock through September 1, and the 6z is $54. The Scorpions are also on sale for $32.
Try http://www.botachtactical.com/ if you like these prices. They're very good compared to what I've seen on other sites.

For my first good light and for the light I'll keep by the bed, it's going to be a Surefire. However, if I get a backup to beat around in the dashboard, it may be a Scorpion. I'd like to own both anyway so I can compare them firsthand.

------------------
Guyon
NRA & GOA Member

[This message has been edited by Guyon (edited August 21, 2000).]
Old August 23, 2000, 01:16 AM   #32
BigMike

I have a Sure Fire mounted to my Beretta. It is the 6v and it is BRIGHTER than my 4 d-cell Mag-Lite.

I also underwent a search on lights, and Sure Fire is the clear winner. Though there are good lights for less money, the quality (and customer service) of Sure Fire beats them all-IMO.

Mike
Old August 24, 2000, 09:21 PM   #33
Justin Moore

Just curious, but have any of you guys done buisiness with the folks from www.brightguy.com? I am thinking about ordering a Streamlight jobbie from them, and was wondering if they were a good outfit to do business with? Thanks bro's.

JLM
Old August 25, 2000, 01:37 PM   #34
Ledbetter

I got mine at
http://www.southernce.com/scorpion.htm

Regards,

Ledbetter
Old August 25, 2000, 07:58 PM   #35
eje

Justin M.,

I've done business with www.brightguy.com about 5 or 6 times and recommend them without reservation. Their prices are competitive, they ship promptly, and their customer service is good. I've bought a Streamlight Scorpion from them, and also a Streamlight Pro 2AA, which is an inexpensive, bright flashlight with tailcap operation. They're a good outfit.
Old September 21, 2000, 09:39 PM   #36
Ledbetter

Greetings,

I'm putting this Back To the Top because I just searched for deals on lithium batteries and didn't come up with anything near as good as jthuang's $1.89 per cell at
http://store.yahoo.com/electronetdis...123alitba.html

so I bought ten and I thought my fellow gearheads would want to know.

Regards,

Ledbetter
Old September 22, 2000, 08:47 PM   #37
Kevlarman

Has anyone had any experience with the TACMIII flashlight? It suppossedly has a higher bulb output than a Surefire 6P (105 lumens vs. 60 lumnes), and is more durable. I've heard many horror stories where someone had dropped their Surefire and had the bulb blown. Any thoughts?
Old September 25, 2000, 11:12 AM   #38
LIProgun

I recently got a TACM III (with remote pressure switch) for mounting on a shotgun. My totally unscientific testing was that it appeared identical in brightness to a Surefire 6Z, though the TACM had _slightly_ more of a bright spot and diffuse outer area than the Surefire. Not enough of a difference to matter to me.

If this light can hold up to several hundred rounds of buck and slugs, I'll say it is pretty durable.

So far, so good. And certainly a fairly priced item, and noticeably lighter than comparable sized Surefire units.