The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 17, 2013, 04:43 PM   #1
79Maliboo

74 sharps trigger help

Hey guys*
I recently purchased a second hand 74 sharps replica.* I absolutely love the rifle and feels great in my hands, I do however have one small issue that im hoping you folks can help me correct it.* The problem is with my set trigger.* About 4/5 times it works as intended but every so often the set trigger binds up and wont set or if it sets it requires a bit of jostling.* I noticed while at the range today that the screw rear of the set trigger was hand loose.* I took a picture that shows you the positioning of the screws so some of you more experienced sharpists can see for yourself.
Old November 17, 2013, 05:31 PM   #2
mehavey

"Generally," turn the set screw in multiple turns until the rear trigger will "set"
(and set easily/firmly). While still set, unscrew the setscrew until you hear the sear
let go (snap).

Screw the setscrew back in at least 3/4 turn. This is your departure point for adjustment
and gives you a solid baseline.

Dab a "light" application of fingernail polish at the juncture of the setscrew & floorplate to resist
the screw changing position (without your permission).

NOTE: If you find setting the rear trigger requires real effort. See This Thread to determine if you have to dremmel out some stock relief under the leaf spring. Simple job if/when that's pinpointed at the "hard set trigger" problem.

Last edited by mehavey; November 17, 2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old November 19, 2013, 07:55 PM   #3
79Maliboo

Screw adjustment looks like its going to be just fine. The rear trigger goes in like butter and the front sets off with a light breeze, yet still solid enough to not go off when slamming the butt on my knee hard.

Thanks for the tip on the nail polish. I was going to use blue loctite but I felt it would be too strong for such tiny screw heads. Ill see tomorrow if its a strong enough compound to hold under recoil.