The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 19, 2012, 07:43 PM   #1
bruno diaz

Broken Ruger 10/22!

Just to start off, I'm a huge Ruger fan. I wanted to name my dog Ruger, but my wife wouldn't let me. I consider them the best guns for the money and would stake my life on every one I own.
So...I recently bought a 10/22 with a synthetic stock and the fiber optic sights. I took my daughter out shooting with it and it functioned flawlessly, as I expected. Then, I made the mistake of trying to clean it. I saw that a lot of people don't clean their 10/22s very often, but after the 200 rds we shot, it was filthy. I took the stock off and wasn't going to remove the trigger assembly. I ran a brush through the barrel and brushed out and detailed the chamber. I saw that it was still pretty filthy inside, so I pushed out one of the pins holding the trigger assembly. I tried pushing the other one out and it wouldn't budge. So, I gave up and put the stock back on.
I tried to release the bolt and it wouldn't close. I took the stock off and removed the front trigger assembly pin and the bolt snapped shut. I reassembled it and had the same problem. I took it apart again and tried punching the second pin out. When I did that, pieces of the trigger assembly started falling out of it, though it was still attached to the receiver. I managed to fit them back in, and wanted to try one more time to get that 2nd pin out. But when giving the pin one last try, the part that releases the bolt fell out. Not the bolt release button, but the part that actually holds the bolt back. My problem is that according to the diagram, that part should be held in by a pin, and that pin is still in the assembly. I took the gun to a gunsmith and they couldn't get the damned 2nd assembly pin out. Time to ship it back to the factory, which is something I've been proud of never having to do before. And with a Ruger, no less.
Old December 19, 2012, 08:11 PM   #2
Pahoo

One too many pins at a time.

bruno
It was a bit of a problem trying to follow your assembly and disassembly. Sounds like you tried to remove one too many pins or the wrong pins. You only need to push out two pins, in order to drop the trigger group/housing, out. These two pins will practically fall out. There is a bolt stop and it's the furthest pin on the back side of the reciever. That one can be hard to remove and sounds like you mistakenly removed this one and your bolt was allowed to drop down on top of the trigger housing. .....

You really don't have to send it in, just go to u-tube and your will find a ton of videos on this process. I routinely take these apart, even down to removing the safety. when i started doing trigger work on these, the first videos I looked at, were in U-Tube !! ..

Good luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old December 19, 2012, 10:17 PM   #3
jmfc606

Call Ruger customer service. Box up your gun and get it ready to ship. They will send a call tag with UPS or Fed Ex to p/u your gun. They will fix it and return it to you at your house. I've never heard of them charging to fix anything and turn around time is usually pretty fast.
Old December 19, 2012, 11:29 PM   #4
Ironhorseromo

I would try you tube 1st. That's how I learned how to clean my 10-22. GL
Old December 19, 2012, 11:56 PM   #5
bruno diaz

That explains half of it. I didn't try to drop the wrong pin out, the 2nd assembly pin really won't come out. You did remind me though, at one point halfway through this mess, I did push the bolt pin halfway out, which is how the one piece dropped out. However, that 2nd assembly pin is stuck like it's frickin' welded in. Youtube is a life saver, I agree.
Old December 20, 2012, 04:09 AM   #6
Bamashooter

Good luck fixing that ruger. If you dont get it fixed ship it back to ruger. They have excellent CS. They will take care of it for you. In the mean time watch some video's on youtube and you can learn alot. Ive watched the ruger video's on assembly and dis assembly of mini-14's and it was a great teacher. Couldnt have done it without the video.
Old December 20, 2012, 07:47 AM   #7
batmann

Your title for the topic is a little misleading IMHO. It sounds like the Ruger is defective instead of an owners mistake. That said, IF you can't follow youtube directions, send it back to Ruger.
FYI---I used youtube for detailed cleaning instructions on my S&W AR,my Glock and my Ruger 10/22 and found several useful tips.
Good luck----they are sweet shooting rifles.
Old December 20, 2012, 09:27 AM   #8
Ironhorseromo

I take all 3 pins out, the trigger mech, and the bolt/spring. All tho I've never taken the trigger mech apart. Use a punch to get those pens out as instructed on YouTube. I didn't have to do mine that way, but the guy on YouTube did lol. Also the reason your bolt maybe stuck is that that slim metal piece in front of your trigger guard is in the position to hold your bolt open. Or it got stuck that way in the reassembly. Perhaps you didn't install the bolt & spring correctly??
Old December 20, 2012, 03:07 PM   #9
Metal god

If the OP in saying the pin is stuck like it's welded in there . There is a problem with the gun . Like what was said earlier , those pins will just fall out . I've had pins on my 10/22 fall out or almost fall out just by turning it on it's side . that can screw things up big time .

When I think about it I've been hearing the 10/22 has been having some problems . this is not the first thread talking about a new 10/22 with problems . I've seen a few in the last year .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; December 20, 2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old December 20, 2012, 05:27 PM   #10
Pahoo

I wish you were my neighbor as I'd help you !!

With time and even when new, many of the pins will will fall out and you really have to be on your toes. ...

The only exception to my above statement is the "Bolt Stop Pin" as I have only encountered one that had seen many cycles of hammering. I had one on a new reciever that was not welded in but stuck by the powder coating paint. ..

Quote:
I take all 3 pins out, the trigger mech, and the bolt/spring.
No sir; there are only two pins, of equal size, holding the trigger housing/group, to the alum reciever. The bolt stop pin is the largest of the pins that you will encounter. The last time I looked, it is steel and fits through the Alum reciever. It has nothing to do with the trigger housing. ..

By the way, one thing I suspect, is that when bolt stop pin was removed, the bolt dropped down and you lost the position of the bolt spring and rod assembly.

http://www.midwayusa.com/General.mvc...cs~ruger_10_22

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; December 20, 2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old December 20, 2012, 06:55 PM   #11
Goatwhiskers

My daddy always told me "if you don't know what you're doing, DON'T". Sorry, I just couldn't help myself. Goat
Old December 20, 2012, 08:34 PM   #12
bruno diaz

Great comments, guys. Thanks. The only one I disagree with is that the title is misleading. And I suppose I even semi-agree with that. The fact that a gunsmith couldn't even get the trigger assembly pin out tells me something is wrong with it. Half the other pins in the gun fell out when I was trying to punch that pin out.
Old December 20, 2012, 08:41 PM   #13
Metal god

Quote:
Half the other pins in the gun fell out when I was trying to punch that pin out.

Thats funny but only cus it happened to you and not me

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 20, 2012, 09:55 PM   #14
Edward429451

IME, there's nothing wrong with it that would require sending it back to Ruger. Go to you tube or get out your manual with it's (excellant) exploded view diagram and work through it until you finally get it. Then you'll have the wonderful learning experience under your belt and be a pro with your 10/22.

Your descrip is kind of vague, but you've let something boing loose in it and this will make it harder to dis-assemble, from spring pressure holding something against something else, but don't worry too much. If you damage a part getting it apart (unlikely) then parts are all over, cheap and easily replaced.