The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: How does your current stock of ammo compare to what you had on December 13, 2012?
I have significantly more ammo now. 24 12.31%
I have roughly the same amount now. 146 74.87%
I have significantly less ammo now. 25 12.82%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 3, 2013, 10:50 PM   #1
StrangeBird1911

Did We Cause the Ammo Shortage?

I would like to stock more ammo than I used to. Which got me wondering, is the current ammo shortage caused by people like me (and you) who want to carry a larger stock of ammo? (Or is it caused by new gun owners, the government, or a reduction of supply?)

Please respond to this simple poll, which will be open through April 11, 2013.

How does your current stock of ammo (all calibers combined) compare with before the Sandy Hook shooting (December 14, 2012).
Old April 3, 2013, 11:02 PM   #2
surveyor

I saw the same thing in 2009..although this one happened quicker..
and am sitting this one out..untill normalcy returns.
Old April 3, 2013, 11:07 PM   #3
lamarw

I marked the top block since I planned ahead and bought up the components to reload ammuniton on my reloading bench. I can reload for every firearm I have with the exception of rimfire.

I have not horded any ammo since I have not bought any loaded ammunition since March of last year when I got a new .17 HMR rifle and purchased 500 rounds of 17HMR. Sports Academy had a sale the same day on bulk packs of .22 LR. I bought four of those with 500 plus rounds in each bulk value pack. Everything elsie I have been reloading. I have brass, bullets, primers and powder. The only other thing I need is a few bad nights of TV programing.
Old April 3, 2013, 11:19 PM   #4
Gunnut17

I personally didn't contribute.
Old April 3, 2013, 11:29 PM   #5
chadio

Did "we" cause the ammo shortage?

I don't flip, gouge, or hoard so I'm no part of "we"
Old April 4, 2013, 12:09 AM   #6
shaunpain

I'm sitting this one out, too. Still haven't been able to stock up on .308, but everything else I have enough between all the calibers that I could survive. Haven't been shooting for quite some time, though.
Old April 4, 2013, 12:47 AM   #7
Nine the Ranger

Personally, No. I'm the odd man out, I honestly thought the Gun Control thing would blow over after a week or two, boy was I wrong.

I didn't stock up in December, and I didn't stock up before the Election.

I didn't know about 2008 because I wasn't into shooting, but I won't be left out in the cold again but at the same time I won't be flipping any ammo: I buy it, I shoot it.
Old April 4, 2013, 04:16 AM   #8
angel71rs

I stocked up beforehand, haven't bought a single round after. Have shot some off, but not enough to put a dent in my stockpile. So I voted option 2.
Old April 4, 2013, 05:24 AM   #9
Rifleman1952

The shortages are being caused by a combination of all the factors you have listed, and it is not likely to subside until the politicians (and the media) stop trying to curtail the Second Amendment.

My favorite LGS is starting to get some ammo in and the prices are only slightly higher than normal. I picked up a 500 round box of Federal American Eagle in 22lr for $34 yesterday (limit of one per customer). That was the first 22lr I had seen in the store since December. I don't flip ammo. I buy it to use.
Old April 4, 2013, 08:15 AM   #10
CDW4ME

I don't flip, gouge, or hoard so I'm no part of "we"

Me either.
Old April 4, 2013, 08:28 AM   #11
cvc944

I slowly started stocking up with O'Bama's first term, building my ammo supplies to high levels. I didn't think he had a chance to be re-elected, but knew this assault on 2A would happen if he were. I think we are in for some bad times and plan to keep what I have rather than sell it for obscene profits.
Old April 4, 2013, 09:09 AM   #12
AllenJ

Did we cause the ammo shortage? I think some people had a part in it. I've seen people buying large amounts of ammo/reloading supplies at my local gun store. Some of those people I know and they don't shoot enough to justify buying the amount they did. I don't think that is the entire reason for the shortages though and don't know what is
Old April 4, 2013, 02:49 PM   #13
southjk

I've done my part. I hadn't shot in years and back then it was revolvers and rifles. I had the misfortune of deciding to start shooting again at the end of November last year and since then I've bought three pistols and about 3000 rds of 22lr and 2500 rds of 9mm. These are for my families use only and we've been having fun shooting. I buy it online and in bulk whenever I can since it's so hard to find in local stores.
Old April 4, 2013, 02:53 PM   #14
dtaski

There are millions of new guns owners and they purchased most of the surplus that distributors had.
Old April 4, 2013, 05:59 PM   #15
22-rimfire

Ya think? Or, you hope?
Old April 4, 2013, 06:02 PM   #16
22-rimfire

I have always kept a pretty good supply of the calibers I shoot. Have not bought much since Nov. 7th. Have not shot a lot either....
Old April 4, 2013, 06:43 PM   #17
lamarw

If the U.S. Government has bought any, it has been purchased through the appropriations made by the U.S. Congress to the Department of Defense or other Agencies like Home Land Defense.

I do not approve of the President's stance on firearms or many of the Governors of various States in the U.S.

It seems like our current adversary is each State vs. the Federal Government. It is harder for those of us in the Pro-2nd Amendment group to fight 50 vs. just the Federal Govt. We could be loosing one State at a time.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; April 4, 2013 at 07:21 PM. Reason: remove reference to deleted post.
Old April 4, 2013, 06:49 PM   #18
chanroc

Re: Did We Cause the Ammo Shortage?

I'm going to say all of the above. I learned my lesson from the drought back in 2008/2009 and spent the last two years slowly stocking up in all of the various calibers I own. If I continue to keep shooting at my current rate - once or twice a month, then I have enough to get me through the next two to three years. I mainly did this by buying two, shooting one over that period of time. As an expected bonus, I was shooting a heck of a lot more back then, than now. So I was stocking up more then, as well. Even after things calm down (whenever that will be), I will still maintain a decent level of my key calibers.
At first, I think there was a huge surge of .22 ammo being consumed up with the flood of tactical 22 rifles out there. Between that, the election holidays, and the traumatic events that unfolded, panic buying and those who bought a bunch to sell at a higher price, dried up the pound. It was a perfect storm, really. Not sure how much more damage will be done to the supply chain if things get any hotter with North Korea. If need be, I'll cut back to shooting once a month and augment some fundamental practice time with a higher end pellet rifle.

Last edited by chanroc; April 4, 2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old April 4, 2013, 11:13 PM   #19
Onward Allusion

I stocked up during and after the last panic. So much so that I haven't bought ANY handgun or rifle ammo since the latest panic started. The only type of ammo that I have been stocking up on during this panic has been 00 buckshot, slugs, & #5 birdshot for my 12 gauges. The funny thing is that 12 ga and shotgun ammo in general is extremely plentiful and at regular prices. I guess I'm taking advantage of that current buyer's market...
Old April 5, 2013, 07:21 AM   #20
j3ffr0

We have the NRA and ourselves to blame for the ammo shortage. NRA told people that Obama is coming for all your guns and ammo. People believed it and went nuts.
Old April 5, 2013, 07:28 AM   #21
ChrisTx

http://www.gunbroker.com/Ammunition/...x?Keywords=9mm

38 pages of just 9mm, and it's not for 50 round boxes. These auctions are for 500-5000 rounds. I can tell you exactly what is happening to all the ammunition. Every store near me gets an almost daily supply of ammunition. It gets here at 7, and it's gone before 8. The lines are usually 75 deep.
Old April 5, 2013, 09:00 AM   #22
dajowi

I reload for every caliber except .22. So no, I haven't contributed to this madness.
Old April 5, 2013, 09:19 AM   #23
ScottRiqui

Quote:
I can tell you exactly what is happening to all the ammunition. Every store near me gets an almost daily supply of ammunition. It gets here at 7, and it's gone before 8. The lines are usually 75 deep.
Exactly. Here's a "completed listings" search on GB for .22lr ammo. 5k round lots, 10k round lots, even 15k round lots, and they're selling successfully. That's more .22 than I've shot in my entire life, being sold in a single GB auction. And there's still Armslist as well as any number of local classified ad services.

"Ammo shortage"? Yeah, go ahead and pull my other leg now.
Old April 5, 2013, 01:32 PM   #24
btmj

A friend told me that he read in "shooting insider" magazine that the ammo companies in the US are producing a billion rounds per week.

Does that seem possible? or is he mistaken? For comparision, a billion rounds of 115 gr 9mm would be a stack 200ft X 200 ft x 10 ft high, and would require 16 million pounds of lead. Now I realize that the ammo industry makes the full gamut, from 22LR to 470 Nitro Express, but assuming that 9mm is about "average" size, this is a huge amount per week... Really?

Anybody read "shooting insider" magazine?

Jim
Old April 5, 2013, 02:00 PM   #25
P5 Guy

I have not bought any ammunition in years, now if you want to talk bullets, powder and primers.
This may lead me into trouble because I am running low on carry SD/HD ammo.

Last edited by P5 Guy; April 6, 2013 at 11:12 AM.

Tags
ammunition , shortage