The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 18, 2013, 06:40 PM   #1
redraif

So I'm going to a gun show... need some advise from the regulars

Just wanted to get a feel for how it works when are actually go there to buy. Up to now I have just gone to look around, but have not been in the position to buy anything. Well tomorrow I'm on the hunt for a beretta cx4 storm carbide rifle at a local gun show. I have been wanting one for years and I figure I better get one while I still can.

Since I have never bought before I really have no idea how the process works. I dont have my carry permit yet. How does the back ground check work? And are you better off to bring cash or just rely on a credit card. Taking $2000.00 in cash to a public place makes me a bit too nervous, but if it means I can haggle someone down it will be worth it.

What have you regulars seen that helps out the buyer?

Thank you!
Old January 18, 2013, 06:44 PM   #2
Grizz12

depends on which state you are in since they all have different laws.

BTW, is there a website that announces all the shows, I would like to go but have no idea of when or where.
Old January 18, 2013, 07:52 PM   #3
ThomasT

redraif good luck on finding a semi-auto for sale. At least one for a fair price. I have heard of Hi-Points selling for $500-600 dollars. The Beretta, who knows.

Call before you go. Some shows are being canceled because vendors don't have anything to sell. Don't worry about the background check. They will explain it to you. Here is a site with all the gunshows. Just click on your state.

http://www.gunshows-usa.com/
Old January 18, 2013, 08:04 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I wouldn't even begin to consider buying any sort of rifle right now except for a bolt-action hunting rifle. Every thing else is panic-price, but hunting rifles are a drug on the market. Probably be able to buy a good-used rifle at half the asking price at a pawn shop, after hard bargaining.

Better off to buy gold or junk US silver coins and wait six months.
Old January 18, 2013, 08:09 PM   #5
redraif

Well if they want something ridiculous I wont buy, but the wife wants to get one of the pink concealable semi autos.... so im sure we will get something. Do the give u a better price if you offer cash versus the credit card?
Old January 18, 2013, 08:21 PM   #6
Ricklin

Almost every seller will discount 2-3.5% for cash. The CC companies usually run 2-3% for the transaction fee.

The real money for the banks on CC are these transaction fees. I used to think the CC company hated us folks who don't carry a balance....not true. They make money every time the card is swiped.

Many merchants will give you a cash discount too, if you ask.
Old January 18, 2013, 09:48 PM   #7
uradaisyifudo

I would not buy anything semiauto with magazine capacity now, if you see a good deal on mags that hold +10 for something you already own, id snag those. Otherwise id look for a good deal on a bolt gun or revolver...shot gun, lever action, mares leg, so many options with no need to spend crazy money on a semi, mag fed rifle. If you don't have one and you fear not being able to purchase one (at least for the next few years) I cannot in good conscience tell you not to buy. Good luck!
Old January 18, 2013, 11:53 PM   #8
B.L.E.

I used to visit gun shows until I finally figured out that the biggest difference between going to a gun show and going into Cabelas is that Cabelas doesn't charge you money just to go in the door.
Old January 19, 2013, 12:28 AM   #9
ThomasT

Quote:
but the wife wants to get one of the pink concealable semi autos
Pink and concealable? Thats an oxymoron right?

Quote:
I used to visit gun shows until I finally figured out that the biggest difference between going to a gun show and going into Cabelas is that Cabelas doesn't charge you money just to go in the door.
Now thats funny!!! You forgot about the part where they don't charge you to park.

And thats why I very seldom go to gunshows anymore. That and I almost never buy anything either. I do like the free jerky samples.
Old January 19, 2013, 02:54 AM   #10
Justice06RR

Quote:
Pink and concealable? Thats an oxymoron right?
I'm assuming you haven't seen the pink 380's and revolvers....

to the OP, good luck finding what you are looking for. Cash does talk, but everything is overpriced so you will still pay higher-than normal prices. But with cash you can avoid the tax, credit card fees, and $5 NICS fee if you buy from a private seller.
Old January 19, 2013, 12:51 PM   #11
ThomasT

Quote:
I'm assuming you haven't seen the pink 380's and revolvers....
Oh I've seen them. Its just hard to take them serious.
Old January 19, 2013, 01:05 PM   #12
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've never seen where the color of a gun affects what comes from the muzzle. It's a gun? I take it quite seriously, thank you.
Old January 19, 2013, 01:27 PM   #13
redraif

As far as I know there is no Cabelas are here. I could be wrong...
Old January 19, 2013, 04:07 PM   #14
redraif

Ok that was a bust at gun show #1... the guy at the largest gun table said "oh that carbine.... yah those are extremely hard to find" lovely...
Old January 27, 2013, 08:10 AM   #15
Picher

Gun shows are often the "Gong Shows" of the firearms market. Once in a while you find some new, attractive long guns, but most are slow-sellers that gun shop owners want to move.

Being a part-time gunsmith, I often recognize easily fixable guns that are really good buys, but more often than not, its disappointing to go.

A gun show in Augusta, ME this month was over-attended. The line snaked through the lobby, out the door to the driveway and down the road. There were vehicles full of guys who didn't want to brave the bitter cold for so long, just waiting for the line to shorten. My buddy and I went to a nearby Dunkin' to have a coffee and wait for the line to shorten for about an hour, but it wasn't short enough, so we went home. I went back about 3 pm and there was no line. I sold two .22LR rifles to dealers in about 20 minutes, walked around for a bit, then left. I can just imagine how crowded it was inside for the first 5 hours.

Last year, at the same show, I bought a slightly-used S&W 642 Airweight with a loose cylinder latch that I fixed, along with doing a trigger job. It's my nicest carry gun now. I think it was a bargain at $340.
Old January 28, 2013, 06:42 PM   #16
Scorch

My advice:
If the gun show admission is say $10, you can easily stop by Dennys and put that money to a better use. If you were looking for something unusual or hard to find, I would say sure, go to a gun show. Since you are looking for an over-the-counter rifle, go to a gun shop.
Old January 28, 2013, 06:48 PM   #17
redraif

We were going to try and get our hands on the hard to find beretta cx4 carbine and raspberry pink sig sauer mosquito.

It was a bust on both at 3 gun show. Got some cool knifes though... lol.. it was good to go just for the experience. Lets just say prices are crazy... here I had always heard gun show had the best price. Not anymore...
Old January 28, 2013, 06:59 PM   #18
BudW

Dont waste your time/ gas/money
Old January 29, 2013, 08:38 PM   #19
sserdlihc

I will go this Sunday since Saturday is my 20th anniversary. Prefer to go on Sundays toward the end of the day. Sometimes I can score deals on ammo the later in the day I go. Especially if it is slow. With it being Super Bowl Sunday, it may be a slow gunshow.
Old January 29, 2013, 11:40 PM   #20
breakingcontact

Find selection better on Saturday, but less crowds and more enjoyable for looking on a Sunday.
Old January 29, 2013, 11:43 PM   #21
therealdeal

dont bring too much cash....

"Abraham Lincoln freed all men, but Sam Colt made them all equal." (post Civil War slogan)
Old February 3, 2013, 09:26 AM   #22
Nathan

I go to gun shows. I consider the $9 an entertainment fee. It was crazy! Lots of tier 2 and tier 3 semi's for 2-3 times the pre-sandy price.

I saw a guy holding a Galil for $9500. Isn't that a bit much?

IME, gun shows are places where guns like a winchester special edition model 12 can find that rare buyer. I also saw many O/U 12 ga's in well used shape. I also saw lot of strange 50's and 60's rifled which might be find guns, but are not collectors items due to condition or caliber. These kinds of thing can't be sold in high end gun shops or box stores.

I saw $38 per 50 9mm fmj!

In my opinion, lots of stuff being sold there or listed there was marked at a premium.

Carry cash. I paid 3% extra, for something and many won't take cc.

KNOW YOUR PRICE AND REDUCTIONS FOR CONDITION! Gun shows are a great place to lay out a pink gun at double msrp and then take $100 of for the person looking at it! Remember, often new guns sold there are sold there because they no longer look nice under the bright lights of the gun store!