The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 11, 2013, 03:56 PM   #1
JayClark79

Flake powder vs non flake

Does anyone know if Ramshot Zip powder is considered a flake powder or a non flake powder?

Im new to reloading and i'm using the Lee Perfect powder measure with the disks... Well I was getting really low weights with the disk im supposed to use to get the 5.2 grains... (the .43 disk).. so i switched to the .46 disk and im still only getting 5.1 grains pretty consecutively... is this normal with flake powder?...

Should I jump to the next disk size up to get a 5.3 grains... the starting point for the powder is 5.2 and the max is 5.8 grains.

Im using a progressive press and do not have a trinkle device thingy
Old March 11, 2013, 04:16 PM   #2
jimbob86

Do you mean the Lee AutoDisk?

I have the Lee PPM, and it does not have disks ....... but it does not throw flake powders (Red/Blue Dot, 700X, etc.) very consistantly, either.

I know nothing of Ramshot powders ..... can't help you there.
Old March 11, 2013, 04:28 PM   #3
JayClark79

Ya the auto disks.. I have whatever powder dispenser goes on top of the turrets... I thought it was the same thing with a die adapter my bad :/
Old March 11, 2013, 04:31 PM   #4
jimbob86

What cartridge are you loading?
Old March 11, 2013, 04:31 PM   #5
LE-28

What Jimbo86 said,

Lee Auto dics measures use volumetric measure instead of weight measure. Yes, you may have to jump to the next size disc to get the weight you want.

It doesn't matter to me what the chart says that Lee supplies with the powder measure, as long as I get the weight my trusted scales says is right.

Lee offers an adjustable charge bar that you can get exactly the correct amount of powder from.

http://leeprecision.com/adj-charge-bar.html
Old March 11, 2013, 04:57 PM   #6
JayClark79

ya I actually bought the charge bar and set it to what I was supposed use.. and the charge was way under.... thats why I was wondering if the ZIP is a flake... its kind of round and flat... but iv never seen any other powder so im not sure... iv heard using a flake powder can give you screwy measuremints using the bar and the disks..

I guess i can just open the charge bar up until im getting the weights i want, reguardless of what the volume says its putting out.. the actual weight is whats important... i just dont want it to magically one day dump more powder then I was expecting and get a crazy load
Old March 11, 2013, 05:16 PM   #7

Ramshot ZIP is a spherical (ball type) powder, not flake. It's my favorite all around powder for .45 ACP. Similar to W231 but with better performance potential in the .45 ACP and it burns cleaner.

ZIP meters well for me and better than flake powders which I no longer use because sphericals are usually a good deal finer grained and denser with lower muzzle flash in most cases. This results in more consistent charge weights. Once you find the cavity that throws the charge you want, ZIP will do very well for you.

All of the Ramshot pistol and rifle powders are spherical except that True Blue is a true ball powder. Competition is a fast burning shotgun powder that I don't use, but I believe it is also spherical and has some application in light .45 ACP target loads. It's supposed to be very clean burning, just a bit fast burning for my taste.

Data can be found at www.ramshot.com

Last edited by 57K; March 11, 2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old March 11, 2013, 05:47 PM   #8
JayClark79

Thanks for the info 57k... Ill experiment tomorrow slowly opening the charge bar until i get the exact charge im looking for.... I guess i was to worried about the "setting" on the charge bar or powder disk... and not the volume being dispensed
Old March 11, 2013, 07:06 PM   #9

You bet. Once you start throwing charges and weighing them periodically, I think you'll find that you are getting very uniform charges, and that's important to me, personally.
Old March 26, 2013, 06:56 PM   #10
2AMMD

Thank you 57 k. I ordered some ZIP because powder for .45 is scarce. Was'nt sure it would work. Seems it will work. I will load carefully.
THANKS!!!
Old March 26, 2013, 07:36 PM   #11
2AMMD

Thank you 57 k. I ordered some ZIP because powder for .45 is scarce. But I saw some loads using it and the burn rate isn't far off from W231 or HP38. looks like it would work. I will load carefully.
THANKS!!!
Old March 26, 2013, 09:12 PM   #12
david_r

If you are getting consistent throws, use a larger hole. Everyone says the same thing about the Lee auto disk. It throws smaller than what is published in the Lee tables.
Old March 26, 2013, 09:23 PM   #13

You're welcome guys! I think you'll both like ZIP a lot. You can load for cast lead bullets like I do with the Missouri Bullet Co. 200 gr. SWC and use a start charge or just above it for accuracy and a soft shooting load. If you want higher performance with a JHP, for instance, ZIP will give better performance than W231.