The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 31, 2008, 04:24 PM   #1
Josh Smith

Think I Might Need A Slightly Longer Link?

Hello,

When performing the "press front of barrel and slide assembly and see if the slide lock swings free" test, the slide lock moves by relatively light finger pressure but not by gravity.

My pictures didn't really do this justice. The barrel lugs are making some contact toward their top, as you can see by spot where the bluing has worn away.

The frame (no, that's not a crack, been there since it was new) has contact wear of the bluing on the barrel bed more than on the vertical face, but they both have them.

The pistol runs 100% with all ammo, and has since it was new.

It has a relatively low round count through it, around 500 rounds. A gunsmith older than I told me to let it break in a bit before changing anything. Well, it's broken in.

What do you think? One size longer on the link?

Any opinions would be appreciated. Leave as is or go one length longer?

Josh <><
Old July 31, 2008, 07:24 PM   #2
Harry Bonar

link

Sir;
About all that the link does is pull the bbl down and less important to ramp the bbl up (the lower lugs are what should do this).
Turn your pistol upside down and cycle the slide several times and see if the link pulls the bbl, down each time. Also, with pistol locked in battery press down on bbl. and see if there is any play. If there is your bottom lugs aren't making proper contact!
Is the top of the bbl. hood streaked with wear?
So, so many people want to adjust bbl. height by "linking" - this is improper. The bbl. should be locked between the upper lugs and the lower lug feet on the slide stop pin! To shorten the link you will soon snap yout link - to lengthen it will possibly jam the pistol.
Perform these tests.
Harry B.
Old July 31, 2008, 11:53 PM   #3
Josh Smith

Hello,

Thank you.

I've decided not to replace it but rather see what happens.

It almost felt like it was stopping the barrel instead of letting the lugs impact the vertical surface, but the next size longer would likely be too long.

I'm just going to see what happens.

Thanks,

Josh <><