The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 11, 2012, 12:37 AM   #1
jlallen_89

ar 15 charge handle and bcg

So I am going to buy a upper and was wounding if I should get a tactical charge handle.is there any down sides to them?I probably will only use open sights for a while. My second question is how good is a phosphate bcg
Old October 11, 2012, 05:10 AM   #2
raimius

From what I've seen, big charging handles can cause issues (big lever to get snagged). That said, I'll probably have a medium or small BCM charging handle on my next AR-15, as I do manipulate it one handed and with a bit of force.
Old October 11, 2012, 07:03 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

Larger charging handle latches can be nice when you have optics on the rifle. They can get too large and snag at the wrong time. I like the medium size PRI Gas Buster myself.

A phosphate BCG with chrome bore is the mil-spec. Coated BCG's may reduce cleaning time a little, look pretty and feel good. If you feel they are worth the extra cost, then go for it. All deployed US military rifles use phosphate BCG's.
Old October 11, 2012, 07:24 AM   #4
p loader

So if a larger charging handle is to be considered "tactical" does that mean the regular charging handle is...."non-tactical?"

My advice, use whatever you think makes you a better shooter. If you are having difficulty with standard equipment it might be time to try something modified (like the handle) to see if it helps you out. If you find that it helps you and makes you feel more comfortable, stick with it. However don't buy something because you think you need it simply because it has a tactical label affixed to it.

Some guys like their guns slick, some like 15 lbs of doo dads attached to it. It all comes down to personal preference. A guy who is 6'4" and 250 will probably like his gun set up and run it differently than a guy who is 5'5" and 140.
Old October 11, 2012, 09:33 AM   #5
riggins_83

Check out the Bravo Company charging handles. Pressure on the latch goes against the charging handle not against the roller pin, it's also much easier to change support hand with while using one side.

They make three sizes, this being the medium ( http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-G...%204%20556.htm )
Old October 11, 2012, 09:47 AM   #6
Technosavant

I have medium sized BCM Gunfighters on many of mine. The longer latch can potentially catch on things. However, they feel well made and the handle itself manages to block some of the gas out of the back of the receiver when I'm firing suppressed. I do like the method of using my left hand to charge the rifle, and the Gunfighter will hold up better to that kind of operation.
Old October 11, 2012, 03:05 PM   #7
jlallen_89

Thanks for your replys I think I will stick wither the stock charge handle and the bcg come with the upper so I was just wounding how good or bad they were.