The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 13, 2012, 10:58 PM   #1
Friar Whently

New S&W 640 Pro

This gun is several firsts...my first revolver and my first true carry gun. My only other gun is a Beretta 92FS, which is a bit uncomfortable to carry. Just got it yesterday, shot it for the first time today. The trigger pull is heavy like all DA snubbies, but it's super slick with no grittiness. It shoots accurately with 158 gr .38, but shoots a little low (though with consistent groups) with 125 gr .357 (which I've read is somewhat normal for a light, fast-moving round...right?). I'll try some heavier, slower .357 to see if that improves things. Not that shooting .357 out of a snubbie is pleasant, but I'd rather carry a .357 than a .38 and I'd like the most accurate round possible. Any thoughts on that would be appreciated.

I think the first order of business for this is to get some new boot grips...perhaps in a nice wood. In the meantime, since no New Gun thread isn't complete without pictures, enjoy!

Old May 13, 2012, 11:16 PM   #2
BarryLee

There are manufacturers that make ammunition specifically for shorter length barrels I believe Speer Gold Dots is one of the brands. I am not sure if this would improve your accuracy, but it might be something to research.

Oh yes - very nice gun.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 14, 2012, 07:09 PM   #3
Nanuk

Very nice!!!! I ordered one too should be in this week. It is normal to shoot low with faster bullets. How low were you shooting? I carried 145 Grn STHP's for years when I carried a 357 on duty. I plan on using Cor-Bon 125 Grn DPX's in my 640 Pro. I will try several different loads and let you know how mine does when she gets here.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old May 14, 2012, 07:16 PM   #4
comn-cents

Nice gun enjoy.
Old May 14, 2012, 07:37 PM   #5
wheelyfun

Nice revolver!

That one has been on my (long) list of guns that I must have....

I'll be waiting on a full range report!
Old May 14, 2012, 07:59 PM   #6
Friar Whently

Quote:
Very nice!!!! I ordered one too should be in this week. It is normal to shoot low with faster bullets. How low were you shooting? I carried 145 Grn STHP's for years when I carried a 357 on duty. I plan on using Cor-Bon 125 Grn DPX's in my 640 Pro. I will try several different loads and let you know how mine does when she gets here.
I had to have mine ordered as well. I was able to find them at several shops but the one I ordered it from was selling it for $50 cheaper. As far as how low I was shooting it was about 1.5 - 2 inches low at 7 yards. Same result with 125 gr Gold Dot, 125 gr Blazer, and 125 gr PMC. I just picked up some 158 gr Federal ammo (the same weight as the .38 which shot accurately) to see if the added weight makes a difference.
Old May 14, 2012, 11:07 PM   #7
dnsharpshooter

looks good with those flutes in the barrel
Old May 15, 2012, 08:06 AM   #8
Nanuk

The front site is tall enough to shave it off a little to match whatever load you want to shoot, or maybe pick up a shorter front sight.
Old May 15, 2012, 10:01 AM   #9
comn-cents

You can't shave the front sight if it's a night sight, or one with a white dot. If they were plain black or part of the barrel shroud then you could shave them down.
Old May 15, 2012, 11:50 AM   #10
CPO15

This thread is agony;I've had on on order for a month!

Here's a nice review of the gun:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...40-pro-series/

...and a follow-up review:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...e-trigger-job/
Old May 15, 2012, 10:18 PM   #11
Nanuk

Comn-cents is right, I just got mine, there is no room for any shaving on those sights.

That leaves us with three choices, find the ammo that regulates to POI ( Or give S&W a call), replace the front sight, or learn where POI is in relation to POA and live with it.
Old May 15, 2012, 11:59 PM   #12
Viper225

For a Holster check out a Lobo Pancake. Either the Model 1 or the Enhanced Pancake. I get mine all with the Optional Inner Hammer Shield. The Model 1 will also need Detail Boned added as an option.
http://Lobogunleather.com/

Additional Moon Clips and a Moon Clip Carrier. Check out TK. TK carries the new 5 Shot J Frame California Competition Works Moon Clip Carrier. They are made from Steel and fit fairly close to the body. I normally carry either 1 or 2 infront of my Lobo Model 1 Pancake holster.
http://moonclips.com/

Information on Moon Clips for the 38 Special. J Frame 38 Moon Clips are .025 thick. They work with Remington, Federal, Mag Tech, Speer, and some other brands of brass. The moon clips are not compatable with Winchester cases which have too small an under cut where they snap into the clip.
I find I can Finger Load the TK moon clips, however you need a tool to remove them. This tool can be as simple as a 5" piece of 1/2" copper pipe or electrical conduit.
If your ammunition loads in your clip a little hard you can load the clips with the Delux Moon Clip Tool.
http://deluxmooncliptool.com/

Bob
Old May 16, 2012, 01:51 PM   #13
Nanuk

Well I took her out. Everything I shot was low using a 6 o'clock hold. I will shoot it more, but I may inquire about a lower front sight.

I shot 148 Grn WC, 158 SWCHP +P, 147 Grn +P+, and 125 Grn Winchester 357 Mag.

357 Mags in her are stout but not painful like the 360 PD.
Old May 16, 2012, 03:07 PM   #14
Consort

Pocket Carry ?

I know that the 640 tips the scale at about 22 oz. empty, but do you think it is suitable for pocket carry ? I like the S & W snubbies, but the 642 that I currently carry can be brutal. I thought the added weight might help felt recoil.
Old May 19, 2012, 09:55 PM   #15
Nanuk

I only PC in the winter. I was surprised by the recoil with Magnums, very controllable and not painful like the 360 PD or the LCR.. I briefly tried a LCR 357, while the LCR has a nicer trigger out of the box, it ends there. The 640 Pro has is beat. I really like this lil gun, now I just need a good way to CC loaded moon clips.

I bought some of the TKC .020 moon clips and they are very nice, but quite a bit less robust than the .025 clips. And of course you need the .020 clips for some brands of ammo.
Old May 20, 2012, 03:18 AM   #16
Navy joe

It is possible it is regulated like a stock glock sight. Put dot over top of target, pull trigger.
Old May 20, 2012, 06:02 AM   #17
Glamdring

Pocket Carry

Consort, pocket carry is certainly possible.

I have pocket carried a 3" steel J frame in the past, was a loaner from a friend, I didn't notice any real difference from my 637 (aluminum frame).

I pocket carry a pair of Glock 26's now 24/7 cause back problems make behind the hip CCW carry impossible for me.

I plan to get a S&W 640 Pro, fact is I have a S&W 386 Night Guard that I will probably sell/trade towards the 640.

I have a Glock 29SF that fill same nich as the 386 + more ( I can add weapon light & 15 round G20 mags with +5 extension on the Glock 29 for nightstand use).

Plus the 640 would pair very well with my S&W 637, and that would give me a backup set of pocket guns if one or both of the Glock 26's were getting work done on them.
Old May 20, 2012, 09:43 AM   #18
Friar Whently

Consort, pocket carry in a DeSantis Nemesis holster is the only way I carry this thing. Yes it can be heavy but I like the feel of the weight of it in my pocket. If you're already having problems with pocket carrying a lighter gun though, the 640 Pro wouldn't improve things.

A bit of an update though: I mentioned that the gun was shooting a little low with multiple different brands of 125 gr 357 but right on target with 158 gr 38. I picked up some 158 gr Federal soft point 357 and some Hornady 158 gr SD 357 ammo and took it to the range yesterday. I shot right on target with both brands of these heavier 357s. I guess if you're going to be shooting 357 with this thing, it (or at least mine, anyway) needs a heavier, slower bullet to be accurate.

Now I just need to get/make a good demooning tool.
Old June 10, 2012, 03:39 PM   #19
tomrkba

Quote:
Well I took her out. Everything I shot was low using a 6 o'clock hold.
Try center of the night sight on the center of the target.

Also, call S&W and ask if the sights are regulated for a particular bullet weight and at what distance.
Old June 10, 2012, 03:44 PM   #20
tomrkba

Quote:
Now I just need to get/make a good demooning tool.
By either the Moonclip Tool (mooncliptool.com) or the BMT Mooner (bmtequipped.com/products.php).
Old June 12, 2012, 07:29 PM   #21
KRP

that's purty friar. I'm picturing craig spegels in walnut. His centenial grips go all the way up the hump, and i believe aids in comfort. smooth wood slips in and out of pockets easy and won't bunch up your cover garment. worth every penny.
Old June 12, 2012, 11:13 PM   #22
Nanuk

I shot mine in the local IDPA match last weekend and actually beat one of the guys using a 4" K frame. It shoots great!
Old June 13, 2012, 12:39 PM   #23
Deja vu

I pocket carry a 640 (not the pro) every day and have for many years. I find that weight makes less of a difference than size. A good belt helps much.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old August 5, 2016, 09:44 AM   #24
jsferrazza

Sorry to chime in here so late, but I'm also looking to get a 640 pro. What about pocket carrying in lightweight pants, such as suit pants?
Old August 5, 2016, 10:31 AM   #25
redrick

IMO it is to heavy for pocket carry . If that is how you want to carry I would get the 340 .