The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 17, 2008, 05:37 PM   #1
drail

Firepower???

So many people I have met that have decided to CCW seem absolutely convinced that they need at least a 15 round magazine capacity and that revolvers are entirely too limited in capacity. How many rounds do you think a person needs in a defensive pistol? More than six? More than 10?
Old March 17, 2008, 05:44 PM   #2
trigger happy

I like having more but I'm fine with 5 or 6

I carry a revolver but I do have some high capacity firearms
Old March 17, 2008, 05:50 PM   #3
B. Lahey

More than zero, less than one thousand.
Old March 17, 2008, 06:02 PM   #4
bt 223

I carry a glock 17 with 16 in it and a spare mag with 15. Bottom line is you don't know if you will need it at all, and if you need it who knows how many you will need. Look at some of the situations with mall shooters or other public shootings where the shooter had a AK 47. I would want my AR with two mags. Plan for the worst, hope for the best. Or as Truman said about nukes, better to have and not need, than to need, and not have.
Old March 17, 2008, 06:43 PM   #5
xrocket

"How many rounds do you think a person needs in a defensive pistol?"

As in the Matrix ... The Right One ... First.
Old March 17, 2008, 06:47 PM   #6
Playboypenguin

Statistically speaking...anywhere in the rage of two or three will be all you ever need. Therefore I am quite happy with my five shot .357mag and an extra reload on a speed strip. I am not going to get into a shootout with anyone. If I am in a position where I have enough cover to be shooting it out long term with someone I will most likely be able to hold my ground while holding my fire or flee.
Old March 17, 2008, 07:15 PM   #7
BillCA

Quote:
Statistically speaking...anywhere in the rage of two or three will be all you ever need.
Statistically speaking, a man with one foot in a fire and the other frozen in a block of ice averages out as comfortable. Until you ask him.

Not picking on you, PBP, as statistically speaking, you're correct. When carrying I almost always carry at least one reload of some kind. With a wheelgun it may be two reloads. But if 15-18 rounds doesn't help you, it's unlikely that carrying 30-40 will either.

What's the true definition of firepower?

U.S.S. Wisconsin BB64
Old March 17, 2008, 07:23 PM   #8
Avenger11

If six shots from my Ruger GP100 357 mag. doesn't do the trick, then I'll fall back to plan B. Drop to the fetal position, pee my pants, and beg for mercy.
Old March 17, 2008, 07:25 PM   #9
tplumeri

Quote:
If I am in a position where I have enough cover to be shooting it out long term with someone I will most likely be able to hold my ground while holding my fire or flee.
Or dial 911 and wait for the calvary.

I carry whatever is in the gun. very rarely carry an extra mag. but always have my cell phone.
7+1 rounds In the PM9.
as long as theres not more than 8 BG's, ill be ok.
Old March 17, 2008, 07:39 PM   #10
MLeake

Only one mag

Another poster pointed this out once before, but some malfunctions may require you to drop the mag (this includes malfunctions of the mag itself). So, with a semi-auto, it's a good idea to have a spare mag, regardless of round count.
Old March 17, 2008, 07:44 PM   #11
Epyon

Hmmm....

I'd say it all depends on where you live/where you are going. If you must travel through a rough area and have no choice, I'd say bring a lot of ammo just to be safe. If you're going hunting in the woods with some buddies, probably not as much. We all know that two legged animals can be far far worse than the four legged kind.

Epyon
Vote Epyon for president in 2008, if you vote for Epyon all of your wildest dreams will come true: This campaign was brought to you by Epyon; funded in part by the Pizza Party, Surprise Party, Birthday Party, and Slumber Party.
Old March 17, 2008, 07:55 PM   #12
Archie

Gun Full, One Reload.

I think it very unlikely to be confronted with a reinforced battalion of Red Chinese regulars in the daily course of commerce. The least amount I carry is for a S&W M36 - with one reload. If I haven't solved my problem in ten rounds, I'm in way over my head.

My typical load out is a K frame revolver with a reload. Sometimes a Government Model or Commander, again with one full reload.

I cannot foresee a situation calling for suppressive fire. Then again, I consider 'suppressive fire' a well aimed and delivered shot to suppress the problem.

Perhaps I'm over optimistic. Yes, I have the cell phone for back up.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old March 17, 2008, 08:04 PM   #13
model70fan

It depends on what I'm wearing, clothes that allow for more I will carry my 4" XD or my 5" 1911, if I'm wearing say just like dress pants and a light shirt I carry my subcompact XD or my snub .38 in an ankle holster. I know ankle holsters are kind of akward, but something is better than nothing, I would rather have a .22 derringer than nothing at all. So like B. Lahey said, somewhere between 1 and 1000 should be good, as long as you're not sitting on that big ole goose egg. (Zero for those that aren't familiar with goose eggs)
Old March 17, 2008, 08:05 PM   #14
Ridge_Runner_5

Personally I do prefer a semi-auto because revolvers are too wide for my taste for a CCW...I dont see a need for a 17rd magazine, but I would prefer to have a large enough magazine that I could take several shots at multiple attackers if necessary...
Old March 17, 2008, 09:13 PM   #15
TacticalDefense1911

Well, personally, I'd rather have too many than not enough. You never know what situation you might get in. Practically, I feel well armed with my 5 shot revolver, but I do carry two speed loaders just in case.
Old March 17, 2008, 09:39 PM   #16
cold dead hands

Location: Arkansuck...I dream of the day I leave here. Never to return.
I swing both ways when it comes to CCW.

If I carry my revolver I am limited to the five shots in the cylinder. I have considered carrying a speed strip, but I find the idea to be kinda dumb. I can create distance between me and my attacker instead of fooling with a one at a time reload. A reload isn't a bad idea if being attacked, but when it comes to being shot at I find that cover, distance and shot placement make far more sense than a complicated reload.

And yes, I am aware that round (one twist) reloaders are available, but they are too bulky for me me in daily life when I consider carrying them.

Now, if I carry one of my autos, at least one reload goes with me. Magazines are easy to conceal (think cell phone holder). I do not carry a cell phone. The gunshot will have police at the scene shortly.

You may not understand my logic and I certainly won't explain it beyond this. In reality, no one understands my train of thought, so, ......
Old March 17, 2008, 09:41 PM   #17
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Personally I do prefer a semi-auto because revolvers are too wide for my taste for a CCW
I can honestly say that I have never had an issue with concealing the cyliner of a five shot snubbie. The issue with me is always the grip of any guns...not matter how thick or thin.
Old March 17, 2008, 11:00 PM   #18
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Statistically speaking...anywhere in the rage of two or three will be all you ever need.
Statistically speaking, using simple percentage ratios of historical events to predict mutually exclusive future events is invalid.

In other words, two or three will be all you ever need, unless it isn't.

Of course, statistically speaking and using the invalid application of historical data to predict mutually exclusive future events, you don't need a gun at all. If you have a gun, you won't need to draw it. If you have to draw it, you won't need to fire it and so you don't even need to have ammo. If you do need to fire it, hitting your target isn't even absolutely critica.

...but that is if you want to trust your life to historical data that have nothing to do with you, be it for carrying a gun or how much ammo you carry.

Quote:
I think it very unlikely to be confronted with a reinforced battalion of Red Chinese regulars in the daily course of commerce. The least amount I carry is for a S&W M36 - with one reload. If I haven't solved my problem in ten rounds, I'm in way over my head.
So because you are in way over your head, you give up or quit?

Quote:
I cannot foresee a situation calling for suppressive fire. Then again, I consider 'suppressive fire' a well aimed and delivered shot to suppress the problem.
You may get in over your head more easily than you my realize. Waters' "The Best Defense" has a great story on how suppressive fire was used by a guy on his first trip back to a gun range after open heart surgery. It was a gun battle that took place in traffic outside of Houston where he used suppressive fire to keep bad guys from doing further harm to a trooper they had already downed.

You may find you need your suppressive fire to egress from a situation where you are in over your head.

Quote:
Perhaps I'm over optimistic. Yes, I have the cell phone for back up.
If you think a cell phone is back up, you are overly optimistic. I can hear it now....
Quote:
Don't come another step closer or I will call someone!
Old March 17, 2008, 11:05 PM   #19
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Statistically speaking, using simple percentage ratios of historical events to predict mutually exclusive future events is invalid.
Care to explain your rational on that one?
Old March 18, 2008, 12:19 AM   #20
RedneckFur

Give me 6 rounds of 38 special or 5 of .357. If that wont stop the BG, then I dont have anythign for him
Old March 18, 2008, 01:20 AM   #21
Anchorage

It all depends.

If I am going to a really bad spot, and I have to carry alot of cash or other valuables, I'd have the glock 19 Shoulder holster + 1 mag (21x9mm) the J frame (5x.38) in OWB AND the P32 in the pocket (7x.32)

If I am just going to the bad spot with nothing much, I'd have the J frame (5x.38) in OWB AND the P32 in the pocket (7x.32)

For general self defense I'd I dont know where I'll be I'll just have the 5 shots of .38, or Just the 7 shots of .32

I figure my response to being attacked with be unique to what I have on me.

For the full set, I would try to divide evenly the glock mag for the number of perps. If I am attacked by 5 perps, I'll try for 2 hits center mass for each BG, then reload and try again. Then one each from the J frame, and then fire the 7 .32's as I run away.

All would be within 25 seconds.

If I just have the J frame, I would fire one each at the 3 most agressive looking BGs and run for cover and try to get away with 2 from cover.

Hopefully if all the stars align, after I draw, all 5 will run, and I'll shoot them in the back as they run.

KIDDING.... no shooting BGs in the back I know !
Old March 18, 2008, 03:46 AM   #22
Firepower!

Firepower!

Hey thats my name....I simply state MIB!
Old March 18, 2008, 08:11 AM   #23
cavscout77

I look at it a different way. If I am by myself, I fell comfortable with my sub compact .40 with 10 in it, though I do often carry an extra mag for it. I can move myself from harm very fast and have to worry about me and only me.

On the other hand, I do allot with my family, wife, 5 year old boy and 2 year old girl. Ok, Picture this, I am in a shopping mall with my family(yea right, like your going to catch me in a mall). My wife wants to go into a clothing store and look at a pair of pants. I say, I am going over to the bathroom. I head over there handle my business. Just as I dry my hands, I hear gun shots. Of course, your first reaction would be, where is my family. You are now in an unfamiliar situation looking for 3 people who, at this point are hiding. You may need 8-10 rounds just to get the BG's attention away from your family or to even find them. Your attention is not on eliminating the BG at that point, though it should be.

True most people don't carry concealed, of those that do, most will never draw the weapon for defensive purpose, and of those that draw, an even smaller number will have to use the weapon. Those that do have to use the weapon, a very, very small number will fire more than 2 or 3 rounds. It's about like winning the lottery, the chances are so slim, most of don't even live near a person that has won the lottery. But there are a lot of us that buy tickets for the chance.

I carry a Glock 22 with a 15 round mag and I carry a mag holster that holds 2 more 15 round mags. I have felt threatened enough to draw one time, and I hope it never happens again. But if it happens again, I will not look back and say, If I had one more mag, I could have done more.

Like was already said, It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Old March 18, 2008, 08:23 AM   #24
MicroBalrog

As many rounds as you can comfortably carry.

Nobody has yet died from having too much ammo.
Old March 18, 2008, 08:54 AM   #25
cavscout77

Well said Micro.