The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 15, 2011, 12:24 PM   #1
mrappe

58 Rem vs 60 Colt grips

I hav one of each. made by Pietta the 60 Colt was made in 1983 and the Rem was made in 1999. I started with the 60 and have come to shoot the 58 more because it is easer to reload and seems to be more accurate but it is not as comfotable to hold and shoot. I don't know if the grips are the same profile and size as the originals but the 1860's grip is more comfortable to me because it leaves room for my hans behind the trigger guard. The 58' trigger guard to grip distance is such that the knuckle on my middle finger is hitting the back of the guard. Does anyone else have this problem?
Old January 15, 2011, 12:50 PM   #2
Hawg

Pietta Remingtons have really fat grips compared to originals.
Old January 15, 2011, 01:44 PM   #3
mrappe

Re remington grip must have been very small. The Pietta 58 grips are smaller that the 60 Grips and feel too small as it is yet I bump my knuckle.
Old January 15, 2011, 02:01 PM   #4
arcticap

Why not simply remove the trigger guard and give it a try?
The Patterson didn't have a trigger guard nor did this Colt mini:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ctarchives/4522700403/
Old January 15, 2011, 08:10 PM   #5
pistol1911

I have Pietta 1858 Rem and a colt 1860 Army.I also have a problem with the trigger guard.I just don't like the feel of the Remmie.
Old January 15, 2011, 08:15 PM   #6
Hawg

I had an original 58 and my knuckle didn't contact the trigger guard when fired. It does slightly on older repros when firing and more so on newer ones.
Old January 15, 2011, 09:28 PM   #7
Hellgate

Try taking a look at the Euroarms Remingtons. They are (from what I have read on the wire, so not certain) are more closely proportioned to the original Beals Remington revolvers. All I can say is I have owned (no longer) 3 Piettas, 2 Ubertis (still have) and 7 euroarms remingtons (still shudder to realize I still have them). The Euroarms have the smallest, lightest grips and frames. Compared to the Piettas, the Euroarms is about as different as the Colt Navy is to the Colt Army. The Piettas always felt klunky to me so I sold them for the Ubertis and Euros. The Euros are to me, more pointable. I don't mind a lighter gun that bucks more with heavy loads. They're just that much more fun. I have a pair of 44 "Navy" Colts (ASMs) that are even lighter and are the most fun to shoot. Talk about pointability!
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old January 15, 2011, 09:34 PM   #8
Hawg

The Beals was a little bit smaller than the 58 which is really a 63.
Old January 16, 2011, 09:43 AM   #9
madcratebuilder

There is less space between the trigger guard and inside of the grip frame on the Remingtons I have around here compared to the 1860 Colts. The grip frame on the Pietta "Shooters" model is larger and has more distance between the TG and HG.

I started using shooting gloves when shooting .454's and 44mags years ago, that has carried over to all revolvers any more, no more sore knuckles.
Old January 16, 2011, 11:03 AM   #10
BlackPowderSmoke

Removing the trigger guard is a good idea. You can also make your own grips, making them thicker. I have a couple of Uberti 1858's that are known for busting knuckles. Since Pietta eliminated the problem with thicker grips, I figured I would make my own to fit my hand. Have a set of mahogany blanks I have almost completed that I bought off of ebay for $7. Since mahogany is a softer wood, I am using them for practice before finishing some walnut blanks a friend sent me. Also in the process of making a set of elk antler grips from blanks that another friend sent me. All three will be thick enough to eliminate my problem.
Old January 16, 2011, 11:20 AM   #11
Hawg

Quote:
Since Pietta eliminated the problem with thicker grips,
Ummm, no, they didn't eliminate it. Just made it feel funny.
Old January 16, 2011, 11:29 AM   #12
BlackPowderSmoke

Quote:
Ummm, no, they didn't eliminate it. Just made it feel funny.
Bummer. When I fit them on the frame, it does feel odd, I figured it would just take some getting used to.