The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 8, 2012, 03:44 PM   #26
OEF-Vet

I'll check it out tonight. Thanks.
Old May 9, 2012, 03:27 PM   #27
Wyoredman

Stupid question - Can you explain to me what type of database program is needed to open your file? I am not having any luck whatsoever. I am a computer rooky! Thanks.
Old May 9, 2012, 04:15 PM   #28
mjm

Thank goodness I am not the only one that could not get it to work!
Old May 9, 2012, 07:03 PM   #29
trebuchetguy

Ah, I was wondering when I was going to get this question. I take it that you are both running Windows? Which version (2000, XP, Vista, 7)? It is a java based application, so I might have to create a startup script to kick it off.
Old May 9, 2012, 07:45 PM   #30
mjm

I am on Windows 7, but noting it required Java solved the problem.

Last edited by mjm; May 9, 2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old May 10, 2012, 09:41 AM   #31
Wyoredman

trebuchetguy, I am using XP.
Old May 10, 2012, 10:03 AM   #32
Wyoredman

Just loaded Java, and I can now open your work. I see some usefullness here. Here are some suggestions:

- I hope you can include user added components in your drop downs.
- When this is done, will we be able to include notes for each round?

Thanks for your time, I hope you can get a finished product up some time. As it stands now, it is a bit far from being helpfull, but I see good potential.

Please continue to work on it, I am interested.
Old May 10, 2012, 04:40 PM   #33
trebuchetguy

Thanks for the feedback. I am a Linux user, so I can't really tell how well it will work in Windows, but I do plan to make sure that is fully supported. Once you install Java, are you just able to double click on the file? Or are you having to do something more fancy than that?

Wyoredman -
Yes, I plan on allowing users to add their own values to the component drop downs. That feature will probably be one of the last things I add, but it is on my list.
When you say notes for "each round" -- do you mean each round fired? Or each set of completed rounds?
Old May 10, 2012, 04:51 PM   #34
Goatwhiskers

Inkpenand notebook tribe? Heck, I'm still using some loading data forms that I bought from Herter's, a place you young squirts ain't even heard of. Goat
Old May 10, 2012, 09:17 PM   #35
Wyoredman

Once Java was loaded, I can just click and the database loads from the net. I have not tried to save the file to my drive, as It is not yet complete. Once you get it done, I will give it a try.

I mean for each batch of differant loads. Notes about velocity, accuracy, weather conditions, pressure signs, etc. for each load combination.
Old May 11, 2012, 07:37 PM   #36
trebuchetguy

Wyoredman - Yes; that is the plan.
Old June 7, 2012, 12:53 PM   #37
Wyoredman

Any headway on the database? Just curious.
Old June 12, 2012, 09:11 PM   #38
trebuchetguy

Thanks for asking. Sorry, not much more progress yet. It might be a while before I have another update. I'll post here as soon as I have something.
Old June 13, 2012, 12:38 PM   #39
Sevens

You inkpen&paper guys are completely sold on your methods and that's all well and good...

But when you have this stuff entered somehow electronically, making 2, 5 or 30 copies of it and putting it in different places is fast, simple and nearly without cost.

If you ever lose that dog-eared notebook you use, you'll have nothing -- and I nearly cry just thinking about that possibility.
Old June 13, 2012, 03:33 PM   #40
Clark

Soon after I started handloading 12 years ago, I worked up a load to failure with ever powder and every bullet I could think of for 9mm in Kel-Tec P11.

I stored that in an Excel spread sheet.

I soon abandoned that system.
I now write range reports, much as one would write a lab report or a trip report for work.

In the range report I like to include:
Pictures of the guns
Pictures of the targets.
Chronograph data for each load in the work up.
Group sizes and distances to the targets
Conditions at the range including wind speed.
Gunsmithing I had done prior to that gun.
More gunsmithing effort needed.

These reports are emailed to friends, printed out and stored, and saved in a email file.

Before I hand load for a cartridge or gun I look up the pertinent reports from the past.

I did not get this format standardized until 2003.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old June 23, 2012, 10:29 AM   #41
trebuchetguy

Still working on it...
Old July 6, 2012, 03:52 PM   #42
trebuchetguy

Sorry for the delay on this guys; my father had a serious head injury a few months back so much of my free time has gone to caring for him and my family. I still intend on finishing this project, but I believe it may be a few months before I can get back to working on it.

Prayers for my father's recovery would be appreciated.
Old July 6, 2012, 04:31 PM   #43
Wyoredman

Thanks for the update. Very sorry for your father's injury. Hope things improve.
Old July 6, 2012, 08:20 PM   #44
Crosshair

I just have everything in a TXT file.
Old July 6, 2012, 10:24 PM   #45
oldreloader

Prayers sent
Old July 10, 2012, 04:44 PM   #46
trebuchetguy

Thanks guys.
Old July 11, 2012, 10:42 AM   #47
CS86

This is exciting. I need to look at some of the softwares described, and I was hoping to start looking for something soon. If someone is going to build something up I'd like to share a few thoughts that I think would be some really nice features.

My biggest hopes are to have a program that will load onto a tablet. With a tablet it would be easy to take along and record data on the fly. As of right now I use excell. I've been trying to create a load with a given a serial number in distinction to the caliber, bullet wieght, and gun serial# used for testing. I print off the sheet and use it for loading. Instead of filling out info on the targets I just put the serial number on it. Then I bring my targets back home and record my groups and any notes.

I'd love to have a program on a tablet and to allow you to take pictures for each load testing. I like the ability to see what the group looked like and not just notes on the size of groups.Then you can get rid of the paper targets because you have a picture documented. Each serial number would allow you to see the load setup and picture of the outcome.

I don't have a Chrono but it would be nice to import chrono data into a tablet too. If there is something out there for what I have described I hope someone can let me know, otherwise I hope the development here can take some of this into consideration. Good luck!
Old July 11, 2012, 11:49 AM   #48
cwok

Data Base -trebuchetguy

Love the idea.

I wanted to do the same thing, but buying the Microsoft Office version that includes ACCESS (the only Dbase I've used) was just too expensive.

I really like the idea of being able to track the components of each load - bullet wt shape and brand, powder, primer etc;
while also being able to associate the shooting results for that load per weapon.
Old July 11, 2012, 04:26 PM   #49
trebuchetguy

CS86 -- what kind of tablet?

CS86 -- what kind of tablet were you thinking? Getting it on an Android tablet should be 'relatively' easy since all the code is Java, but an iPad would be a whole different ballgame.

(Also, does anyone have a Windows tablet? I have never seen one in person.)
Old July 11, 2012, 05:05 PM   #50
CS86

Any tablet that has connectivity with windows or linux. I haven't found a purpose for getting a tablet yet. There are 2 things I would really like to use a tablet for. 1) for my coffee roasting profiles and 2) for reloading data. I haven't seen the capabilities yet so i've held off, and they are advancing so fast. Ipads are too expensive, and I don't care for apple so I would prefer anything else. I figured if it was java based it would work with anything other than apple.

I think windows tablets are going to be coming towards the end of this year for windows 8. I would have to look up an article on tomhardware and see...I can't remember, but I don't think they are out yet. I would think that android based tablets would be useable with windows 8, but I'm not sure.

Last edited by CS86; July 11, 2012 at 09:50 PM.

Tags
computer , database , handloading , reload , software