The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 3, 2011, 05:07 PM   #1
SCBondsman

Manufacturer ID Help

A friend passed this gun down to me. He's had it sitting in his gun case for over 20 years and doesn't know much about it.

There are no manufacturer markings as to who made it. It's got "Long Tom" on the side, but that could have been done after market.

The serial number is in all the appropriate places.

Looks like a H&R to me but I can not be certain...

I took a picture of it next to a door for scale. I plan to try and kill an old turkey bird w- it.

.....And of course I can't get the picture to upload. Mobile modems are all Verizon makes them out to be...

I will keep trying to post them.
Old March 3, 2011, 05:22 PM   #2
SCBondsman

Uuummm, how do we post images? It's asking for the URL of the image but it's on a flash drive.
Old March 3, 2011, 05:27 PM   #3
SDC

There are a couple of ways you can do this; one, you can open a free account at a site like photobucket.com, and upload the pictures to there, then post the link here, or, you should be able to upload directly here by following the link to your flash-drive (when it's plugged into your computer, you should be able to find it in your "tree", looking something like D://...., depending on which drive letter is assigned to your flash-drive).
Old March 3, 2011, 05:27 PM   #4
oneounceload

From WIKI:

Quote:
Long Tom was a trade name sold by Sears Roebuck. They were manufactured by Crescent Firearms before 1930 and by Stevens/Savage after that. Probably last made around 1945.

Answer

I also have a "Long Tom" shot gun that was handed down to me by my father. I could be mistaken but I was I remember him telling me that he bought it at Wards for about $7.00. I was born in 1939 and he had the gun as long as I can remember. With the 36 inch barrel it points like a "dream" and with a full choke it does reach out there. It kicks like a son of agun, too.

Answer

Peter - If your dad bought your Long Tom early in the 1930's, it may have been chambered for a slightly shorter shell than you have used. Many were still being made for the 2 9/16" roll crimped ammunition instead of the modern 2 3/4" and 3" 'pie crimped' variety. Although the longer shells will chamber, they cannot open properly. This, plus the fact that the newer shells are usually loaded a bit hotter, causes a harder kick. It also makes it a bit harder to extract the spent shells.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Long_Tom_s...#ixzz1FZuQMRc6
Old March 3, 2011, 05:47 PM   #5
SCBondsman

http://cid-d53089cd93fe1e76.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/IMG^_0543.JPG

http://cid-d53089cd93fe1e76.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/IMG^_0542.JPG