The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 29, 2010, 12:17 PM   #1
b money

Vaquero cylinder in a Blackhawk???

Hello, I found a 45LC Vaquero cylinder that has been machined down to accept 45ACP in moon or half moon clips, it will also chamber 45AR, and 45LC with some sort of moon clip. Now my problem is I don't have a Vaquero, I have a new model Blackhawk in 45LC. Will this Vaquero cylinder fit, function, and be as strong as the factory available 45ACP Blackhawk cylinder?
Old December 29, 2010, 12:42 PM   #2
jmortimer

Don't know, but the "New" Vaquero has a shorter cylinder so I'm sure that would be a no go. The "Old" Vaquero Cylinder might drop in as it was made for larger frame like the Blackhawk.
Old December 29, 2010, 01:57 PM   #3
b money

Ok it just hit me that you would have to take the whole cylinder out to reload 45ACP, and seeing as though I dont have any 45AR brass, I have lost interest in that cylinder. Thank you for the answer JM.

I do have another question along these lines to any ruger guys that may see this, and instead of wasting fourm space I thought I'd just post it here.

I started looking on gunbroker for a factory 45ACP cylinder and found a few, anyways if i pick one up I'm sure it would have to be timed but on the off chance that it wouldnt how do I tell?

Also assuming that it would have to be timed, who should I send it off too? can any gunsmith do this, or do I need to send it to Ruger or one of the top ruger gunsmiths?

I have always been at a loss when it comes to gunsmithing.
Old December 29, 2010, 02:02 PM   #4
GeauxTide

I have a Blackhawk convertible and a 45LC Bisley. The ACP cylinder doesn't fit the Bisley. At one time, Ruger would sell a cylinder and fit it. As far as the fit of ACP cartridges, mine load just like a rimmed cartridge, as the ACP headspaces on the head.
Old December 29, 2010, 02:03 PM   #5
B.N.Real

That would be a cool conversion if you could get it to work.

The 45 auto is way cheaper and more plentiful then the 45 LC.

Kind of makes me wonder why Ruger has'nt thought of doing this before.

Offering a Blackhawk with both cylinders in a kit.

I know the obvious answer is then you won't buy two guns but you would'nt anyway if you were cost conscious.

I hope you can get that to work.

Great luck to you.

GeauxTide,you ever try to fire those 45 rimmed cases before?
Old December 29, 2010, 02:09 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Only the gunsmith knows for sure.....

The Vaquero cylinder is the right size to fit the (new model) Blackhawk frame. The New Vaquero cylinder is not.

Whether the cylinder you have can be fitted to a Blackhawk frame is something only a gunsmith can tell you, after examining both. It ought to be able to be fitted, but, not knowing what exactly was done to the cylinder you have, it may not be possible.

I am leary of a cylinder that will accept .45 Colt and .45ACP. There is .004 difference in the head sizes between the two (when properly spec'd), AND, I gotta wonder, how you will be able to use any kind of moon clip (full, half, baby, etc) in a single action revolver?

Ruger uses two cylinders for their convertible .45Colt/.45 ACP, and for good reason. You can't have a chamber ledge for the .45ACP to headspace on in a chamber that will take a .45 Colt case. Without the ledge, the ACP round will simply fall too far into the cylinder to fire. So, you have to use a moon clip of some kind to fire an ACP in the .004" larger diameter chamber of the .45 Colt. And that can create its own issues. It might be a workable thing in a swing out cylinder DA revolver, but in a Single action, while you could have the clearance for the clips cut, you would still have to take the cylinder out of the frame to load and unload it.

I'd have a good gunsmith check things out before I spent any large amount of money.
Old December 29, 2010, 02:19 PM   #7
B.N.Real

44amp,I did'nt know they had that.

Ruger convertible 45 lc-auto revolver.

Thanks!
Old December 29, 2010, 06:55 PM   #8
b money

Quote:
you would still have to take the cylinder out of the frame to load and unload it.
Yes, it took me about an hour of pondering to finally realize that haha. that's why I have moved onto just buying a 45acp cylinder and having it fitted to my gun. my only question now is how do you tell if a convertible cylinder needs to be fitted? and also where would you guys recommend I send it?
Old December 29, 2010, 07:55 PM   #9
gak

ANY cylinder not provided originally with the gun should be professionally "fitted." You will hear stories of folks that lucked out with guns that "basicallly worked" or even an occasional "worked perfectly" without specific tuning, but they are the great exception. The default assumption is you will need to have a qualified gunsmith (most any familiar with Rugers) fit the new cylinder. That said, any convertible cylinder should "basically fit" and cross-fit another Ruger of the same frame (ie NM Large frame Blackhawks and Vaqueros) of its parent caliber, in this case .45 Colt (aka Long Colt or LC), but will likely need to be fine-tuned to work properly and safely (ie, without concern).

Last edited by gak; December 29, 2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old December 29, 2010, 08:37 PM   #10
b money

Ok, thank you. I know ruger offers cylinder fitting for $50 but would they fit a cylinder to my gun that didnt originally come with it? If not who should I send it to?
Old December 30, 2010, 11:08 PM   #11
44 AMP
Staff

I bought my first Ruger .45 Colt/.45acp convertible in 1983, and they had been on the market for quite a while before that. One cylinder for .45 Colt, and another one for .45 ACP. For a long time they were only offered in 7.5" and 4 5/8" barrel lengths. Today, I'm not sure, check their website. I got the 7.5", and its one of my favorite revolvers.

Ruger also makes a Blackhawk convertible in .357 Magnum, with a second cylinder for 9mm Luger. I have hear that this is not quite as good as the .45, because the difference in bore size (9mm uses .355 bullets) usually means that the 9mm cylinder isn't very accurate, compared to the .357/.38 Special one. Can't say from personal experience though, I don't have one.

About fitting the cylinder, call Ruger and talk to them. They may fit it for you, or they may not, since you didn't get it from them. I don't know. Why not just call and ask?