The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 30, 2000, 11:12 AM   #1
Christopher II

A friend of my father recently showed him a small collection of old pistols he'd acquired in an inheritance. Dad's friend isn't a shooter and knows nothing about guns, so my Dad asked me if I could help identify them. Unfortunatley, pre-WWII stuff isn't really my forte.

I posted pictures of all the guns on Photopoint. You can see them here:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...9802&a=9643575

What I'd like to know is the model and basic information, rarity, and approx. value of these guns. Any info y'all could offer would be a help.

Thanks,
Chris

------------------
"TV what do I see, tell me who to believe, what's the use of autonomy when a button does it all??" - Incubus, Idiot Box
Old October 30, 2000, 05:38 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Maybe it is the camera, but some of these guns appear to have been heavily buffed and reblued.

No. 1 is a Browning Model 1922, Nazi marked. Reblued? If not, value about $200; if so, $100.

No. 2 is A Stevens Model 41, barrel lock missing. In top condition, maybe $300; as is, whatever you can get.

No. 3 is a Ruger Standard Model (not the Mk I). Appears to be reblued. Top if 100% would be about $175.

No. 4 is a CZ 27, which also appears to be reblued. The one shown is very common and runs only about $250+ in 100%.

No. 5 is a Webley Mk IV, with war finish, used as a substitute standard by the British in WWII. I would estimate value at $200 or less from what I can see.

No. 6 appears to be a S&W model 27 or 28. The Highway Patrolman is the Model 28, and it is a cheaper version of the Model 27. This gun also appears to have been reblued. If it is a Model 28, and in 100%, its value would be $270 or so. If it is reblued, it is worth whatever you can get for it (my guess would be $150).

Jim
Old October 30, 2000, 06:29 PM   #3
Christopher II

Jim -

It's the camera. I didn't take these pics, my Dad did.

As far as I know, all these guns are totally original. None have been reblued. I haven't seen any of the guns personally, but my Dad says that they're all 100% or close to it.

One question - what's the difference between a Ruger Standard Model and a Ruger MkI?

Thanks!

Later,
Chris

------------------
"TV what do I see, tell me who to believe, what's the use of autonomy when a button does it all??" - Incubus, Idiot Box
Old October 30, 2000, 11:41 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

The standard model, regardless of barrel length, was the garden variety Ruger .22 auto. The Ruger Mk I was the target model with adjustable sights and heavy barrel. When Ruger went to the Mk II, which has the slide stop, the old Mk I became the Mk II Target Model.

Jim