The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 8, 2010, 05:52 PM   #1
M4Sherman

Shipping muzzle loaders?

Do I have to use a FFL to ship a black powder muzzle loader? the reason I ask is I have a friend who wants to sell me his mossberg 500 but I have to take the muzzle loaders in the deal and I have no need or want of them.
Old September 8, 2010, 06:11 PM   #2
Don H

Not unless your state requires it. Federal law has no such requirement.
Old September 8, 2010, 06:38 PM   #3
M4Sherman

Well I am in TN so that should be no problem. is there a way to check which states require muzzleloaders to be a FFL transfer.
Old September 8, 2010, 09:46 PM   #4
Support_and_Defend

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/faq.php#q7

What restrictions apply to shipping muzzleloading firearms?

Muzzleloaders, by virtue of the fact that they do not fire fixed ammunition, are considered antique firearms under The Gun Control Act of 1968 and are not restricted in trade by any federal law or regulation. This applies to both antique and new made muzzleloaders. There may be state or local ordinances which restrict our ability to ship direct to the customer. Residents of HI, NJ, MA and MI are urged to check their state and local laws for any restrictions on ordering black powder firearms. Dixie's black powder cartridge guns can only be shipped to a federally licensed dealer. In order to ship to the dealer, we must have a signed copy of the dealer's Federal Firearms License on file. If you are interested in ordering an FFL gun you should make arrangements with a local dealer to take delivery. This is a common practice and the dealer will usually charge only a nominal fee to complete the transfer.
Old September 8, 2010, 11:23 PM   #5
M4Sherman

alright looks like I will have a savage "bolt" style muzzleloader and a tompson on this site tomorrow
Old September 9, 2010, 05:47 AM   #6
dropthehammer

I'm interested in the Savage muzzleloader.
Old September 9, 2010, 08:36 AM   #7
Rifleman1776

You might have a hang-up at the local post office. These mini-bureaucrats with inflated egos have a way of making things difficult even though shipping might be legal. Save yer breath, logic does not apply. Ship via UPS or FedEx. No problemo.
Old September 9, 2010, 08:54 AM   #8
M4Sherman

Hey the USPS is a block away and the Fed-ex and UPS stores are in the same parking lot as my work, so as long as their are no restrictions I do not give a hoot how it ships. TIME DO GET MY SHOTTY
Old September 12, 2010, 11:42 PM   #9
jimpeel

Quote:
I have to take the muzzle loaders in the deal and I have no need or want of them.
You could ship them to me!

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey