The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 7, 2001, 03:27 AM   #1
Redhook

I adjusted my trigger pull weight on my Remington 700 PSS to what I believed was 3.5lbs. I used a primitive home made water scale with a bucket and a coathanger while holding the barrel up. The final weight measurement was made on a very accurate digital mail scale.

Once I reassembled the rifle, I tested twice again and noted that I was at 3.5lbs. However on the second test, I noted that the barrel wasn't pointing straight up. To best way to describe it is, if the gun were horizontal, the muzzle would have been slightly down but the trigger pull line would have been straight back horizontally. The axis in which the the trigger was being pulled (gravity) pointed toward the bottom of the butt plate, not straight back.

So I tested again and made sure the barrel was straight up. This time I got just over 2lbs and it was the same in several tests. So what gives? Is this some cantilever (sp?) effect? Should the true trigger pull be measured straight back in alignment with the barrel? Thanks for your help!

-Red-
Old May 7, 2001, 07:48 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Redhook, yes the trigger weight should be tested in the same direction as the trigger will be pulled. If you are pulling down instead of straight back it will show up as heavier. George