The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 28, 2006, 12:31 AM   #1
7mm-08

Deer hunt Manitoba

How was the whitetail hunting in your area?Here in Manitoba,Canada it pretty much sucked hunted 10 days seen 3 deer.One (a buck) crossed a powerline 70 yrds away a friend of mine got two pokes at it and missed it cleanly. The only other two I seen were a doe and calf high tailing
it through the bush and no shot was present.I tried posting on fields,cutlines,
still hunted bush,swamps.But to no avail.On the bright side my dad did get these two bucks opening morning Nov.13/06.
Old December 30, 2006, 02:41 PM   #2
Jseime

I didnt even get out for white tails this year but i did get a couple mulie does. I was surprised at how few deer i saw around here. Just about everyone i know tagged out in white tail season though and there were some nice bucks taken.

I was in a little gunshop in Portage La Prairie over christmas and the guy that runs the place told me that he cant sell anything less than a .300 Win. Mag. He claims that everyone is shooting longer and longer distance. He said that even 7mm Mag wont sell. Everything he had in the shop was a magnum almost. Are you seeing guys go bigger and bigger where you are too? Where we are the most popular calibers are .30-06, .270, .243 and 7mm Mag. and they all shoot flat enough for us.