The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 17, 2005, 03:43 PM   #1
Rojoe67

2 LEO related stories...

2 Recent incidents worth thinking about...

Incident #1 took place about one month ago in Thomas Township, Michigan.
The location of the incident was on a paved country road about 1 mile from a major highway. It was dark and late in the evening. As the Saginaw News reported it, this started off with a resident calling 911 for a report of a suspicious vehicle using a spot light on a agricultural field. The officer whom took the call was a certified LEO with the Thomas Twp. PD. To make a long story short the officer didn't wait for back up... it is unknown to me if any was available at the time. All of the details weren't given other than this officer was shot by one of the two males in the small Chevy pickup truck. The officer had a vest on which kept him from being killed or wounded. The suspects were armed with a 22 rifle and were likely poaching deer. As of this date nobody has been arrested or taken into custody for questioning. I, as those reading this have a lot of questions running through our minds.... I can almost assure the officer that was shot has got to be questioning himself too?
It is easy for me to start coming up with what did he do wrong.... maybe nothing........or as I think at least a few details (errors) might have contributed to this incident and it's outcome. If I have upset anyone close to this case I fully didn't intend too.

Incident #2 took place within the last 24 hours. The Michigan State Police had one suspect under arrest in handcuffs. The two troopers are said to have stopped back at their small post near Holly, MI. In media reports the suspect was arrested for theft of automobile(s). The story is told that on the stop at the post one trooper went into the post as the other stepped out of the vehicle in the parking lot? At some point the suspect in handcuffs (reported) jumped over the seat of the Crown Vic patrol car and sped off. The car was later recovered nearby but missing was the suspect and 2 firearms..... Not a proud moment for these 2 troops. Thank God the suspect didn't do anything to put the LEO's in harms way.....well no dought the supervisor of these troops was less than pleased about the ordeal. As of this time bad guy and two State owned firearms on the B.O.L. list....

Being a former member of the Law Enforcement community I know S*** happens and we are all human and make mistakes....so this post isn't intended to do anything but remind all of us both civilian and LEO to take an extra second and learn from mistakes of the past and keep very aware of what is going on. If we let our guard down we put ourself into harms way...

Be Safe, Shoot straight and retire...........
Old January 17, 2005, 06:14 PM   #2
NSO_w/_SIG

I don't know the area but........

In a lot of small towns there are just not enough officers to wait for back up. Here in MD there are some counties on our Eastern Shore that are fairly large in area but not a lot of population. Sometimes two officers are all that are out on patrol. Waiting for back up could take 30 minutes or more depending on if the other officer is tied up with something.
Old January 17, 2005, 06:23 PM   #3
Rojoe67

true in Michigan too....

again I am not trying to debate just make everyone aware of a few issues in recent history...... just for thought

on the 6:00 news - reporters now saying only missing is the suspect?

again I'm not trying to poke a stick in a hornet nest here.....just informing of the hornet nest..........
Old January 17, 2005, 06:29 PM   #4
FirstFreedom

Lessons

Story 2: Handcuff him in back, not front, and he won't be able to drive.

Story 1: If a criminal is bent on shooting you with a rifle when you're called to a scene, there ain't much you can do about it, save SBA, which in this case stopped a puny .22, but with most rifles, it ain't gonna help. Or the use of cover, I guess, if available, and if you see the subjects in possession of the guns quickly enough upon arriving. All you can do there, really, is big picture stuff that LEOs do anyway, such as give political support to crime investigation rates (relative to report rates), raising arrest rates, raising conviction rates, and increasing penalties (sentences) for violent crime.
Old January 17, 2005, 06:52 PM   #5
Rojoe67

We could make a list on both of these cases....

To be fair I will just say 99% of the time we (humans) cut corners for a number of reasons.... and it never costs a dime nor will it put us in harms way........but that ugly 1% is when Mr. Murphy's Law kicks in..... and if we didn't let our guard down that Murphy's Law wouldn't (likely) apply. Now, I should be fair to state that many great LEO's have died in the line of duty and did everything they could do......Life isn't fair all the time - and the first rule in life is there isn't any rules that are perfect......

Becareful and finish the shift without a scratch......go home to your family...

I should end with letting the reader know that I had a very close friend whom didn't make it home to his family. I also have a sister in LE - So we constantly communicate what is going on....We all can learn from history....
Old January 17, 2005, 08:42 PM   #6
TheeBadOne

Man grabs police car for getaway

A man is on the loose after escaping from authorities in a police cruiser. It happened in northern Oakland County's Groveland Township early Monday.

Bisi Onile-Ere had more.

Michigan State Police troopers from nearly every post in the state have been combing the area, searching for any sign of John Metzelburg.

Authorities say he climbed into the front seat of a state police car and fled in the vehicle. He did this all while handcuffed.

Metzelburg, 30, first caught the attention of state troopers during a routine property inspection outside a bar in Springfield Township.

"He was sitting outside the bar in a car," said Lt. Harold Love of the Michigan State Police. "There was some activity that drew their attention to him and once they made contact with him, they learned that he had a weapon in his pocket."

From there, he was arrested and driven to the Groveland Township State Police Post. Troopers were in the process of transferring him to the Oakland County Jail, but there was a change in plans.

"He apparently somehow got the handcuffs in front of him," Love said. "I don't know if that was initially or if he snipped it."

Authorities say Metzelburg was left inside a police cruiser unattended for several minutes, and apparently that was enough time for him to jump into the front seat and drive away.

"(Monday) morning we were able to locate the patrol vehicle in the driveway of a residence out here in the township," Love said.

Metzelburg left the patrol car locked and intact in a nearby neighborhood. All the trooper's items -- including a high-powered rifle and a shotgun -- were left in the trunk.

But he did get off with a resident's 2000 white GMC van.

"There's no longer a concern as far as him being a danger to the public or anything," Love said.

"We simply need to find him and bring him to justice for having stolen the car and the initial charge of carrying a concealed weapon in public."

Metzelburg is 5 foot, 10 inches tall and weighs about 150 pounds. He was last seen wearing a black Carhart jacket. He also has a record of auto theft. Anyone with information should call 911.

In the meantime, Michigan State Police are conducting their own investigation into the actions of the troopers involved.

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/news/011...a_cruiser.html
Old January 18, 2005, 08:29 AM   #7
Rojoe67

Thanks for the add-on info...... It was an eye opener for the local community too...
Old January 19, 2005, 08:17 PM   #8
Rojoe67

One BG under arrest......again

Well, as most BG's do.....this one has not proved to be much good at his trade. After he lead police on chase he crashed his vehicle and went for a jog but ended up in an icy ditch and was again picked up. This time he has just a few more charges on him.....
The Troopers who got him stated the suspect thanked them for not shooting him..... This was stated on ABC-12 News - 11:00pm, 1-19-05.

Just thought you might want the good news....

Last edited by Rojoe67; January 20, 2005 at 02:48 PM.