The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 3, 2002, 10:06 AM   #1
GrantLee63

SpeedFeed - Pros & Cons

I decided to pick up a Mossberg 590A1 and am debating whether or not to get the SpeedFeed Stock or not. Obviously, I know the purpose of the SpeedFeed, but how does it affect the balance of the weapon? Do the cutouts impact your cheek at all when you're firing?

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Unknown
Old June 3, 2002, 10:21 AM   #2
Intel6

I have also been looking at the Speed Feed stock for my shotgun. It would have to affect the balance because it adds the weight of 4 loaded rounds at the rear of the gun probably making it feel more balanced. The only negative I have heard is that fact that some have problems with the shells coming out of the tubes when firing. Most who have them say that doesn't happen but I have seen a few who say it does? The cutouts won't interfear with your cheek unless you are a lefty. The cutout is on the top on the right side of the stock (when shouldered) and the cutout that is ont he left side (cheek side) is at the bottom of the stock so you cheek is no where near the cutout.
Old June 3, 2002, 11:17 AM   #3
S&W 24

I have 0ne one my 870 and have had no problems with it. You will have to practice removing your shells a few times from the stock before it works smoothly but thts about it. As far as balance
the speedfeed is better than a side saddle because the wieght is centered and not all on one side.
Old June 3, 2002, 12:50 PM   #4
Brasso

No problems with mine on a Moss 590. No mags shot thru it yet though. It is 1/2 inch shorter than the standard, which is why I bought it.
Old June 3, 2002, 04:09 PM   #5
GrantLee63

Thanks Erik .... But .....

I did not find ANYTHING specific to the question I posted in the 140+ SpeedFeed threads you pointed out. I am intimately familiar with the Search Function and use it regularly

To those of you who have provided meaningful insight to my inquiry, THANK YOU. I think I am going to get the standard stock with my 590A1.

Thanks Again ..........

-Unknown
Old June 3, 2002, 05:16 PM   #6
G21-30

GrantLee63,

Check out www.gungetter.com for the 590A1.

community.webshots.com/user/g2130