The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 4, 2014, 07:26 AM   #26
Bart B.

HAMMER1DOWN, you say your most accurate 168 load is .533 @ 200 yards.

Is that in MOA, or is it in inches?

What does it represent; smallest group, largest one or the average of several?

I've never been enamored with smallest, few-shot test groups. It's my opinion that they only happen when all the variables cancel each other out, or, all those variables are at zero. Haven't found a way to tell which it is. So, I shoot at least 15 shots, usually 20 or more and judge accuracy on the largest groups. The biggest groups happen when all the variables add up together and I can easily see their effect on accuracy. Besides, if several groups with the same load are not within 10% in extreme spread of each other, none of them represent the accuracy one can count on at least 90% of the time.

And it's darned near impossible to duplicate the smallest few-shot group ever shot. If one does get another smaller, the chances of duplicating that one are even less.

Last edited by Bart B.; May 4, 2014 at 07:32 AM.
Old May 4, 2014, 07:27 AM   #27
mehavey

Old May 4, 2014, 07:36 AM   #28
Bart B.

mehavey, good chart.

Note the accuracy one needs to get 80% first shot hits on a pasture poodle that far away is, at worst, half MOA. That's 4.5 inches at 900, 4 inches at 800. To say nothing of the skills of judging corrections for wind along with marksmanship skills to shoot that well.
Old May 4, 2014, 08:23 AM   #29
mehavey

I suggest a better unit of measure:

A simple 15 yard range error at 800 = 2¾ prairie dogs.
Old May 4, 2014, 08:40 AM   #30
Bart B.

Ah ha!!!!! New standard of accuracy for long range hunting; minute of prairie dog.
Old May 4, 2014, 09:19 AM   #31
HAMMER1DOWN

The group sight is the average of three 5 shot groups. Measured from center to center with my calipers. So its in inches. And yes minute of prairie dog is very very small when you get that far but as a veteran whistle pig whacker I feel that with the wind at my back ( the whole way) and my very nice range finder a shot at 800, 900, or possibly even a grand is possible. Maybe I will just buy a rifle in 6.5 for this task, been eyeballing that caliber for some time now.
Old May 4, 2014, 09:21 AM   #32
jwrowland77

There are a lot of folks on the line using 6mm or 6.5 rifles.
Old May 4, 2014, 09:28 AM   #33
Bart B.

Being ranked with, shot with and scored with the best long range rifle shooters and wind dopers on this planet, it's been interesting watching their (and my own) first shot from a .308 Win. case at a 1000-yard target circle 10 inches in diameter. Even with a good zero on that range established the day before, or even a few hours earlier on the same day, no wind or a slight one from dead astern, the percentages of us who put our first shot in that circle are down in the 10s. And a lot of times, after making a sight correction, our second shot doesn't do it either.

Pasture poodles are half that size.

But it's fun trying......
Old May 6, 2014, 04:07 PM   #34
HAMMER1DOWN

Well I happened to find a literal truck load of 4064 at a sporting goods store south of me about 2 hours. So I grabbed two pounds. I guess I will load them up with that and give it a try. Also got the low down from a very reputable guy at the Big R in the same town i got the powder. And he suggested that if I want to attempt to take a prairie pig at a grand plus that I will want to switch it up caliber wise. We this guy is pretty well versed on the 6.5 calibers and he suggested the 6.5x284 in a good custom gun. I know little to nothing about the 6.5 cal other than it has very good BC for their bullet weights. Would the 6.5x284 be something worth looking into?
Old May 6, 2014, 04:13 PM   #35
jwrowland77

Most definitely. 6.5x284 is a great caliber for distance. I know several guys that shoot f-open with it and love it.
Old May 6, 2014, 04:26 PM   #36
HAMMER1DOWN

Well now for what I do, which you can already take a guess. I shoot mainly varmints, predators, and long range target with buddies. Would it be in my best interest to have a rifle built or are there companies that build a decent gun. I am not opposed to going custom at all but I don't want to wait on a gun smith as there is only one in my area.
Old May 6, 2014, 05:25 PM   #37
Metal god

Savage ! Go to savage web site click on firearms in the upper bar then click gun finder. It will open a side bar that has a bunch a stuff to pick from to narrow your search . Select primary purpose and click competition . It should bring up the model 12 Long Range Precision

I forget what calibers they make in that model but I know they have at least one 6.5 . If they don't have what you want they will chamber it in pretty much anything you want for a price .

EDIT I was just looking at the rifle and calibers . They are all short action rounds . The model 12 does come in 6.5x284 but it's a single shot rifle with a 29" or 30" barrel .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; May 6, 2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old May 6, 2014, 06:31 PM   #38
HAMMER1DOWN

Not to completely hate on Savage but I will not own one. I think they are ugly and have had a bad experience with two in the past. I know that their QC has come a long way and that they are shooters and a half but it only takes ones to sour a guy. I either go with CZ, Ruger, Remington, or custom builds.
Old May 6, 2014, 06:32 PM   #39
jwrowland77

My personal favorite is the Rem 700 series. I own three. There's just so many things you can do with a rem 700 action.
Old May 6, 2014, 06:40 PM   #40
HAMMER1DOWN

I agree, I have a rem 700 in 308. I love it, it has become my go to gun for long range bombing. There is just so much after market support its unreal.
Old June 4, 2014, 11:36 PM   #41
HAMMER1DOWN

Varminting.jpg

Actual distance is 902 yards. Confirmed and witnessed. I know its not the longest shot in the books with a 308 but that is only 98 yards shy of my goal for the year.