The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 8, 2013, 02:28 PM   #1
Husqvarna

Ruger 96 in 44 magnum?

Ruger 96 in 44 magnum?

Any owners?

44 magnum vs 357?

this is with the intention that later on when I am up to par with my handgun shooting to get a revolver in the same calibre as the rifle. I have only been searching for levers in 357 but guess the 44magnum should be in consideration?

deer rifle mainly, sadly neither would be allowed for boar in my country

44 magnum is about 1,5x the costs of 357 but one chainstore has a bunch of rugers in 44magnum, so thats why I am asking...

Always heard that the 357 is easy to handload for,, how about the 44mag?

rugers has their own rings but are they availble in quick release?
Old May 8, 2013, 02:46 PM   #2
jmr40

My brother had one briefly. It had to go back to Ruger before it would fire the 1st shot. Even after he got it back accuracy was woefully lacking. I shot it a few times before he sold it. There is a reason they didn't make them very long.
Old May 8, 2013, 03:13 PM   #3
Husqvarna

huh strange, shouldn't the general construction with a magazine instead of a magazine tube be better for accuracy?

or is it the round? just 44vs357 any accuracy differences? how about trajectory?

I have taken a few +150meters shots at deer succesfully with a .222, but this isn't recommended with either 357/44?
Old May 8, 2013, 07:35 PM   #4
Jack O'Conner

I've hunted with my RUGER 96 in 44MAG since 1997. Its super accurate with Speer 270 grain Deep Curl bullet. Also shoots low velocity 44 Special ammo quite well.

Jack

Last edited by Jack O'Conner; May 9, 2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old May 8, 2013, 11:15 PM   #5
mxsailor803

I love mine. It's plenty accurate for a close range deer/hog rifle. I've shot a huge variety of reloads through mine. Everything but cast bullets. The .44 to me is one of the easier rounds to load for. I usually load my practice rounds up with Trailboss and hunt with 231. Fair warning though, after you shoot one regularly, you'll want to add a tube feed leveraction. It's a sickness I tell you!!!
Old May 10, 2013, 12:06 AM   #6
bamaranger

looking

I've had an eye peeled for one of those for some time.

And I've got to comment that the reason they don't make them anymore is not due to design flaw, but that the current bean counters running (ruining) Ruger deemed they did not sell enough .44 gas and lever carbines to justify making them. 'Course now we've got bolt .357's and .44's, I wonder how long they will last? I bet not long.

The box mag seems a distinct improvement over the older tube feed of the ealry semi .44's. And the new .44's are twisted 1-20" which is akin to what revolvers are twisted,and .44 revolvers have long been thought as plenty accurate.

As no .357 Model 96's were ever made, that's a separate question.
If I were just going to plink and maybe compete, .357 cheaper to shoot. If I thought I were going to hunt black bear, deer, hogs, .44 hands down.
Old May 11, 2013, 12:03 PM   #7
g.willikers

If you're going to reload, there's not much difference in the costs between .357 and .44M.
.44s are easy and forgiving to load.
Plenty of choices of components, too.
Old May 11, 2013, 12:25 PM   #8
bcarver

my deerfield

I love mine. The guns sold well only in certain areas. I suggest only factory 240 grain ammo. Hot loads and heavy bullets are rough on the frame.
the 357 does not compare to the 44. I don't think a quick detatch scope will be possible without some modification.
Old May 11, 2013, 01:41 PM   #9
Boomer58cal

If you're going to hunt with it I'd go .44 mag. I have a 94 win in .44 and it's excellent for deer or pig. Hits like a sledge hammer.

Boomer
Old May 15, 2013, 05:39 PM   #10
Ozzieman

I had one of the old Ruger semi autos and never could get the thing to hit worth a darn out beyond 75 yards. If you’re looking for hunting with a 44 Magnum like here in Indiana where only pistol caliber rifles are allowed for deer, this is a great Ruger rifle. Polymer stock and stainless.
http://www.ruger.com/products/rotary...44/models.html

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old May 16, 2013, 02:02 AM   #11
bamaranger

same....sort of

Hey Ozzie,

My tube feeds are not great in the accuracy dept either, with 240 gr and up slugs. Factory 240's were about 6" on a pie plate for 5 rds at 100 yds. To get them to shoot acceptable groups, I had to drop down to 180 and 200 grain slugs. Groups now are about 3" and I can hunt with that.

The bolt .44's leave me cold, but I like the idea of stainless/synthetic and the new faster twist in the bolt rifles.
Old May 16, 2013, 05:28 PM   #12
Ozzieman

The bolt .44's leave me cold, but I like the idea of stainless/synthetic and the new faster twist in the bolt rifles

Me too, I like and own several lever actions. I was at a gun show 2 years ago and saw this gun setting on a table. I had heard about them but wasn’t interested till I put it to my shoulder. Perfect fit, I have never owned a gun that fit me as well as this one.
Took it home within 10 minutes knowing I would have to go home to the wife's "another one!"
I will have to say it took some tries to work up a load. It really likes a 240 TDBB lead. Sub 3 inches groups are easy and there moving fast.
The Hornady 225 FTX just sucked and I used up a box trying to work up a load.
The Sierra 210 sports master was the best. The gun likes upper velocity loads (spelled MAX)

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.