The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 2, 2008, 09:22 PM   #1
Stoney

3rd model Colt Dragoon.

This what I think is a 3rd Model Colt Dragoon Signature Series showed up at a table I was working at a gun show. No box came with it and the right grip has a small hairline crack, but it is unfired and a real sweet Colt, first I've seen with a fluted cylinder.

[IMG]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c119/pstone001/100_2895.jpg[/IMG

Old March 3, 2008, 11:43 AM   #2
Stoney

Can anyone tell me how many fluted models of this Colt were made.
Old March 3, 2008, 02:15 PM   #3
Raider2000

To my knowledge, none of the orriginal Dragoon revolvers were ever flutted but I kinda remember seeing one like yours when Colt made a run of them during the 80's or early 90's with the Fluted cylinder.
Old March 3, 2008, 03:14 PM   #4
mec

don't know of the numbers but I suspect there were some made in- house. Colt was on a campaign to reduce the size and weight of the dragoons ,"By machining steel off the barrel, frame and cylinder," (RL Wilson, Colt, an American Legend) before he decided to go with the smaller Army frame.
Old March 3, 2008, 04:21 PM   #5
Stoney

This is the first 3rd model Dragoon of the Signature Series I've seen fluted. I'm wondering if this is a small production run by Colt.
Old March 3, 2008, 06:18 PM   #6
CraigC

Sweet, I've never seen the big percussion guns with fluted cylinders. Only the 1860's or smaller.
Old March 3, 2008, 08:19 PM   #7
long rider

Well now that is one sweeeeeeet looking pistol
It would look good in my collection.
Old March 4, 2008, 08:46 AM   #8
Bootsie

3rd model Colt Dragoon

FWIW according to the 1999 catalog of Colt Blackpowder Arms the 3rd. Model Dragoon was available in 3 variations at $ 499,95 each: with fluted cylinder #F1743, with steel backstrap, cut for shoulder stock #F1741, with brass backstrap #F1740. The supportive text is interesting. It reads "One of the most unusual Colts is the Third Model Dragoon with fluted cylinder. Only 12 units were produced, on an experimental basis, in an attempt to reduce the bulk and weight of these large revolvers. Sam Colt abandoned the idea, and the experiment ultimately led to the 1860 Army design."
Bootsie
Old March 4, 2008, 11:47 AM   #9
BigG

I have that same fluted 3rd Model Dragoon. There were three separate varieties of 3rd Model Dragoon issued by Colt under the Signature Series.

It's a big, beautiful hunka iron. Love that Colt Blue!

Here it is next to a fluted 1860 Army, for scale.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old March 4, 2008, 12:25 PM   #10
Stoney

Big G
Do you have any idea how many of the fluted models were produced?
Old March 5, 2008, 01:32 PM   #11
BigG

I don't know any source that does. I just know I think the fluted looks the best of the series of 3rd Model Dragoons, or Dragoons, period.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old March 5, 2008, 04:42 PM   #12
Stoney

Thanks BigG, I called Colt and they could not give me any production numbers on the fluted cylinders models, no letter for this model is available.
So i'm SOL.
Old March 6, 2008, 12:41 AM   #13
SIGSHR

I note this one is not cut for a shoulder stock.
Old March 20, 2008, 01:58 PM   #14
Fingers McGee

None of the Blue Book references list production numbers for the any Sig Series guns. Since they were made by Iver Johnson, Henry Repeating Arms may have numbers.

FWIW - 2nd Generation Colt BP items were made by, marketed by, and warranted by Colt. Colt had nothing to do with the Sig Series except for licensing the name.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old March 20, 2008, 04:41 PM   #15
CraigC

The second generation guns were built by Colt with parts supplied by Uberti. To be specific.
Old March 20, 2008, 04:42 PM   #16
Hawg

Quote:
The second generation guns were built by Colt with parts supplied by Uberti. To be specific.
Unlike third generation signature series which are Colt in name only. Colt never touched them.
Old March 20, 2008, 06:34 PM   #17
Fingers McGee

Both the 2nd Gens and Sig series were made from parts supplied by Uberti, ASM, and American manufacturers. But, Primarily Uberti.

There were a few (very few) fluted 1st Model Dragoons made in 1848/49. Page 55 'A History of the Colt Revolver' by Charles T. Haven & Frank A Belden; William Morrow & CO - New York 1940
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce