The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 21, 2005, 03:11 PM   #1
nate1865

New Turkey Hunter in IN

I've always been an avid shooter, but now I've decided to dip my toe into the hunting water by going turkey hunting this spring.

Since none of my friends are turkey-hunters, I've resorted to a self-taught approach filled with online research, video and magazines.

Being a first-time turkey, hunter, what advice can you fellow IN turkey hunters give?

What is a good public area to hunt? (No, I'm not asking to give away your hone holes - just general areas.) After checking the DNR site, it looks like the best stats for turkey are in extreme southern IN.

What is your preferred turkey load for a 2 1/2" chambered shotgun?

A lot of equipment is mentioned - what would YOU recommend?

I have some basic army camoflauge - will that be too visible to them or should I buy something more specialized?

Thanks!
Old December 21, 2005, 04:31 PM   #2
Bowtier

Well, I'm not from IN but some general tips are:

-Pattern your gun at different distances & with diff. loads to see what it likes best.

-Sit VERY still, a turkey will pick out movement better than any other animal in my experience.

-Practice calling A LOT but don't over do it in the field, think of it as playing hard-to-get.

-I used army camo for quite a few years but I have switched to a 3D suit for turkey hunting because I think it breaks up your outline better & hides small movements better also.

-Get a face net or paint & gloves, I strive to not let any skin show.

-Use decoys if your state allows, they will often get that Tom to come the extra 10-20 yards into shooting range.

-As for your gun, a 2 1/2" chamber, really? If that's the case I would either get a gun that shoots 3" or 3 1/2" mags or get very good at calling to get them into about 5-10 yds. Turkeys are tuff critters. I saw one rolled with a 12 ga 3" mag at about 30 yards, started doing the death flop & caught wind under his wings, flapped a couple times & set his wings and glided away with his head hangin'.

The point, use enough gun & aim for where the waddle meets the feathers.

Sorry to ramble on stuff just keeps poppin' into my head. Have fun.

By the way: Welcome to TFL!

Last edited by Bowtier; December 21, 2005 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Welcome!
Old December 26, 2005, 12:05 AM   #3
nate1865

Actually, I meant 2 3/4"

on the shotgun chamber for myself. It is an older SXS. However, the 2 1/2" chamber is still applicable as my brother and I plan on going together and he is restoring an antique 2 1/2" shotgun to use.

I guess you could say we plan on enjoying the time together, the hunt and the outdoors more than having all technological advantages on the turkey. Its really incredible to me how much stuff out there is built specifically for turkey hunting.

Thanks!