The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 2, 2014, 02:41 PM   #26
Dirty_Harry

My first bushmaster saw cleaning once in 4000 rounds. Never had a malfunction.

I am a little more anal now. I probably clean every 3 range trips.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old July 4, 2014, 11:12 AM   #27
BWM

Keeping them oil is what keeps them running OIL
Old July 4, 2014, 08:21 PM   #28
Boncrayon

How many shots in your uncleaned AR until problems arise?

OK...for you "see how long before cleaning folks"....Do you treat your car or lawn mower the same way? How long before you have to change the oil before the motor dies? What's the point in letting a fine firearm go through the gauntlet before you feel proud of your record of rounds through the chamber? Go ahead and abuse your fine art of shooting, and then go and try to trade your poorly treated gun for another firearm to continue abuse the next time.

Who trained you in the proper care of firearms in the first place? I'm not saying a firearm needs cleaning every time it's shot. but give it a break with a regular wipe down and barrel cleaning to at least remove residue in the rifling's that assures accuracy.
Old July 5, 2014, 07:02 AM   #29
car

I bought my first AR (a Colt SP1) in 1984. I never cleaned it, just a few drops of BreakFree every shooting session, until I finally sold it in the early 1990's to purchase a Colt AR-15A2. Never had a problem with it. Not sure what the round count was, probably around 1,000.
Old July 5, 2014, 08:56 AM   #30
SHE3PDOG

I do a quick inspection of all my guns every month. If its dirty, I'll clean it, otherwise I only clean it when it has been to sandy or muddy places with me. It normally gets cleaned every 500 rounds or so this way, but I've had over 1200 rounds through a couple of my ARs before without them failing. I wouldn't be afraid to go over that at all.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old July 5, 2014, 02:19 PM   #31
iraiam

I have gone as much as about 2200 rounds without cleaning over a 5 day training period, I did lube the bolt before the start of each day. At the end of the week it was certainly what I would consider filthy, but I did not experience any problems, this is not the norm for me I usually clean after every range trip, but in this case I was pretty much wiped out at the end of each day.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old July 5, 2014, 03:16 PM   #32
Wyosmith

I have never fired more than about 650-700 rounds through an AR15 or an M-16 without cleaning and/or oiling.

I think it may be interesting to know the facts, but for myself I see no reason I'd want to make one as fouled as I could get it just to see if I can make it fail.

I have some custom Mausers and an AK 47 too, and they can go and go and go forever without cleaning (I'd guess,) but I still clean them too.

I have confidence that they will work dirty, but even year ago as a military man I never had a reason to not oil or not clean an M-16 for thousands and thousands of rounds, or any other weapon I used for that matter.