The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old January 5, 2013, 07:08 PM   #126
Bart B.

old roper, those F class numbers are very good indeed.

But I wasn't referring to such disciplines nor benchrest either when I commented: While to some this may seem exciting, but such groups from free recoiling rifles virtually untouched by humans today are no smaller than test groups with rifles normally fired from the shoulder shot around 1970. Those rifles back then were fired from machine rests, untouched by humans except for a finger on their triggers. Some 10-shot ones were well under an inch at 600.
Old January 5, 2013, 09:50 PM   #127
old roper

Bart B, I really have no interested in what happen in the 70 with test on any rifle that wasn't with BR rifle. If I wanted to look at the Highpower back then I would of done it.

If you want to talk accuracy we can do it based on what's being shot today I don't like living in the past. If you want to take your shoulder mounted rifle and give me some lesson they have a 1000yd BR match April 21 @ Byers or the have 80 shot Highpower first part of April on the 1000yd range I'm sure those guys be glad to see you.
NRA Life Member

Last edited by old roper; January 5, 2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old January 6, 2013, 08:01 AM   #128
Bart B.

old roper, all I did was mention that rifle accuracy has not improved over the last several decades. Smaller groups and higher scores happen; that's a statistical fact. So does larger groups and lower scores. If my comments upset you, so be it. They were not intended to.

Too bad those links' pages didn't show what the largest groups and lowest scores produced by those record-holding rifle-ammo-shooter combinations are as that would give a more realistic view of their performance spectrum. Records only reflect the smallest percentage of overall performance of the best sets of people and equipment.

I and a friend laid out that high power range north of Byers in the early 1980's using an electronic distance meter one sub-zero January day. Also designed the pits, firing lines and safety berms.
Old January 6, 2013, 10:24 AM   #129
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Six pages seems to be enough. We're drifting well away from the OP.
Closed Thread