The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old November 28, 2012, 01:26 AM   #1
TheNocturnus

Wife calls and says man at door wont leave.

I was on my way to the airport to pick my mom up and I get a call from my wife. She says there is a AT&T salesman at the front door and he wont leave and that he wants to talk to me. She says that she is inside and he is on the porch. She sounds panicky to me so naturally I began to think of the worst case scenario.

I immediately tell my wife to tell the guy to leave, close the door and go to the safe and get the .380 out and put it on her just in case. She does not and hands the phone to the guy on the porch so he can talk to me. I tell the guy that we are not interested and to hand the phone back to my wife and then leave my property. He then hangs up on me.

I called right back and my wife answered and he had left thankfully.

I was scared that this guy was not who he said he was and that he may hurt my pregnant wife. I was also disappointed that my wife did not just close the door and get the gun. I told her when I got home that I was scared for her and next time I ask her to get the gun she should GET IT.

Did I do the right thing by telling my wife to just close the door and get the gun? What would you have done?
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old November 28, 2012, 01:33 AM   #2
BarryLee

Quote:
She says there is a AT&T salesman at the front door and he wont leave
Well, we all have different opinions, but I would have told her to close the door and call the Police. Then while she is on the phone with the 911 Operator she can retrieve the gun.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old November 28, 2012, 01:37 AM   #3
therealdeal

nocturnus, it sounds that maybe she was already up close and personal talking to this man by the time you were on the phone....like if I or my wife is talking to the ups guy needing a signature as an example.

At this point if what I just stated above is true, I would just ask the man what he wanted. when your wife told you, was there a reason for him needing to speak with you? there should've been if he needed to speak with you or if your wife was stumped, a little perturbed, and she sectioned the situation to you....

At that point he already had access, so him hanging up is just making a situation worse if he is harboring mal-intent IS ALL I AM GETTING AT. I am not saying you did anything wrong, but thank God your wife answered when you called back. The other thing is, you need to know his purpose to also rule out the possibility that in fact this guy was actually an AT&T employee:

Quote:
I was scared that this guy was not who he said he was

"Abraham Lincoln freed all men, but Sam Colt made them all equal." (post Civil War slogan)
Old November 28, 2012, 01:37 AM   #4
Creeper

Quote:
Did I do the right thing by telling my wife to just close the door and get the gun? What would you have done?
You did good... your wife on the other hand is a bit too trusting and blasé. There's a Clint Smith quote I like... "When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away."
Another is "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet". I don't know who to atribute this one to, but it's one I tend to live by.
Old November 28, 2012, 01:40 AM   #5
therealdeal

maybe I am wrong

the thing is....it seems obvious that she had already opened the door and spoken with this man before calling her husband. It doesn't sound like he showed up, wouldn't leave, and/or that he hadn't been engaged in conversation with OP's wife before the phonecall....

"Abraham Lincoln freed all men, but Sam Colt made them all equal." (post Civil War slogan)
Old November 28, 2012, 02:07 AM   #6
MLeake

Get her a big dog. Pesky salesmen don't outstay their welcome when big dogs are barking from the other side of the screen door.

Even friendly big dogs, when barking from inches away, can make a very strong point.

(Mine are generally big babies, although one of the two is actually very protective of my wife. NOBODY hangs around uninvited.)
Old November 28, 2012, 06:24 AM   #7
Master Blaster 2

Send a complaint off to AT&T about the guy.
Old November 28, 2012, 06:58 AM   #8
steveno

did he show an ID that says he actually worked for A T & T? I wonder when the last time an actual A T & T person showed up at a door that wasn't a repairman. I'm pretty sure they have their ID visible
Old November 28, 2012, 07:39 AM   #9
jhenry

Who here would know a home made ATT laminated ID as opposed to a real one?
Old November 28, 2012, 08:06 AM   #10
mete

First mistake was to open the door !!
Second was to converse with the person .
No ATT ID ? Bad sign . Now report this to police and ATT !
Educate your wife !!!
Old November 28, 2012, 08:06 AM   #11
Dwight55

Quote:
Jhenry makes a very good point here, . . . and OP, . . . you did good.

Please, . . . sit down with your wife, . . . go over some of the worst headlines in your nearest newspaper, . . . point to a map and show how close those were, . . . instill in her that she CANNOT just trust strangers.

I "had" the same problem with the girl I married back in '68, . . . that same woman now, . . . let's just say that nobody wants to mess with her and her Colt .38 special.

Back to Jhenry, . . . it took me all of about a half hour and some "inspiration" one day to make a more than presentable "Area 5" plastic ID. The fellow who saw it first, . . . bought my "new job" line, . . . hook / line / and sinker.

He had been there and knew their security, . . . yet was fooled.

I like Barrylee's idea too, . . . call for LEO assistance, . . . immediately.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old November 28, 2012, 08:57 AM   #12
Sparks1957

Quote:
Send a complaint off to AT&T about the guy
Even if he was legit, he should have had an ID visible and had sense enough to know that "no" means "no" and to go away at that point.

Your wife needs to not open the door, first of all... it could have all gone bad after that point.
Old November 28, 2012, 09:25 AM   #13
Double Naught Spy

AT&T needs to talk to you? SCAM. They can call you. They have your number.

A little critical thinking, closing the door, arming, and calling 911 would have been good. Calling the husband is not good.
Old November 28, 2012, 10:55 AM   #14
PH/CIB

I carry a handgun as soon as I get up in the morning until I go to sleep at night....I never answer the door or the phone.

Not only could it be dangerous,,,I just don't want to be bothered....at the door if I look out a side window and it is someone I know or the police or fire dept to tell me my house is burning down...or UPS or Fed Ex or the mailman delivering firearms or riflescopes or other goodies,,,I will answer the door with my concealed gun on me,,,anyone else forget it, just not important,,,,and if it is important there are other methods of contacting me, police, phone, mail etc.

I never answer the phone either, we have caller ID or a caller can leave a message,,,when the phone rings and I am standing right by it, if I don't recognize the phone number I do not answer it,,,,if they leave a message and I am interested I answer it or return the call, otherwise I do not answer the phone.

Don't answer the door or the phone,,,it is never anything important anyway.

My home is my fortress and my sanctuary.
Life Member,,,Military Order of the Purple Heart, Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, Amvets, Disabled American Veterans, 173rd Airborne Skysoldier Association, National Rifle Association, Member,,,IDPA, USPSA, Iowa Sheriffs and Deputies Association,,Website http://www.handgunholsters.net
Old November 28, 2012, 02:26 PM   #15
Departed402

I would say you tried giving her the right advice. Let’s be honest, a lot of times our wives or girlfriends are not comfortable with firearms. It’s not their fault, as their fathers probably didn’t train their daughter, they're often are victims of gender roles in this regard, and we males assume the role of protector, and don’t bother training our wives.

This would likely be an instance where getting to a safe location and calling the police would be the best move if your wife isn’t comfortable with guns. There is the adage, “when seconds count the cops are just minutes away.” While this is true, the police still cannot start heading your direction unless they’re called. Seconds turn to minutes. Better late than never. Call the cops!

If you haven’t already, I suggest working on security plans with your wife and kids if you have any.
Old November 28, 2012, 02:51 PM   #16
Glenn E. Meyer

We have an alarm system with pads around significant places. So one can press the button to sound a loud obnoxious uproar and it calls the cops.

However, never open the door. If you don't like guns, we have a pepper spray right by the door. Call the COPs first! Not hubby.

Another reason, if you want guns - to carry one. Door gets kicked in and you have to get to the gun. Might not make it. Most folks can carry a little one if need be.
Old November 28, 2012, 03:15 PM   #17
Onward Allusion

Do not open the door for door-to-door sales people. Badges are easy to get or make. Even legitimate badges don't necessarily guarantee that the guy has had a background check and actually work for the company. Independent contractors have legitimate badges; Comcast is a prime example.

Second - carry at home. A little pea shooter will do. Gives you an extra few seconds to get to a real gun.

I will disagree with calling 911 first. Grab a gun first, 'cause you may not get a second chance if someone is trying to break in. 911 is #2.
Old November 28, 2012, 03:32 PM   #18
45Gunner

I agree with METE and Glen Myers on this one...never open a door to a stranger.
I have taught this to my kids when they were small. I have cautioned my wife especially since I used to travel quite a bit, and my cop friends all say the same thing. Now my son is a cop and he teaches the same thing to all his kids especially since they live in a rural area.

My wife will never use a gun to defend herself. I have given up trying. My dog and the panic alarm system near the door entry is the only hope of survival my wife will ever have if she opens the door to the wrong person.

Even after all the discussion my wife and I have had on the subject, we were traveling in our motorhome when I got tired and pulled into a truck stop to take a break. I heard a knock at the front door while I was lying down in the back bedroom. Incredibly my wife opened the door. I heard someone asking her for money. I grabbed my 12 gauge and ran towards the front of the coach. When that guy saw me coming, he ran for his car and beat it out of there. I was later told he was a panhandler that would disturb the truckers and anyone that pulled off the road to take a break.
NRA Life Member
Old November 28, 2012, 04:09 PM   #19
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Contrary opinion here, you did wrong. She messed up when she called you knowing where you were and what your were doing. She should have locked the door and called the police. Since she wasn't sensible enough to do that you should have called the police. I'm glad it worked out but this could have had tragedy all over it once he realized nobody called the police and all you were was a distant voice on the phone and not an immediate threat to him.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old November 28, 2012, 04:22 PM   #20
barstoolguru

deleted
Old November 28, 2012, 04:24 PM   #21
barstoolguru

you need one of these
here in Texas its a 750 dollar fine if they knock on your door. I take there pic and get the name of there co....then call the cops
Attached Images
File Type: jpg no tres.jpg (10.1 KB, 95 views)
Old November 28, 2012, 04:29 PM   #22
zincwarrior

Slightly confused.
"AT&T" guy outside that wouldn't leave but she can close the door?
Why didn't she just close the door?

I'm sure I am missing things.
Old November 28, 2012, 04:43 PM   #23
aarondhgraham

Hello zincwarrior,,,

Quote:
Because we (as a society) have been conditioned to not be "rude",,,
Bad guys and commissioned salesmen have learned this,,,
We (I used to sell insurance door to door) use this,,,
It's the major vulnerability of our times.

Don't fault the OP's wife too much here,,,
It's ingrained in the rules of our society and difficult to overcome.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old November 28, 2012, 04:47 PM   #24
wayneinFL

Quote:
That's funny. We actually did that at work years ago. We had a cheap laminating machine from an office supply store, that we used to make our own company IDs. We are a contractor for ATT, formerly BellSouth in our area. We had difficulty getting into customer premise locations from time to time, so we got BellSouth vendor badges. It took a month.

The vendor badges did not have a Bellsouth logo- the only people who knew what these badges were for were BellSouth employees. Useless to us.

So we printed out the BellSouth logo off the internet and laminated our own IDs. They didn't look like actual BellSouth IDs, but it wasn't as if the customers had anything to compare. I never had anyone question it.

Here's what they look like today. Employee is blue, contractor is red:

Last edited by wayneinFL; November 28, 2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old November 28, 2012, 05:39 PM   #25
zincwarrior

Quote:
Quote:

Because we (as a society) have been conditioned to not be "rude",,,
Bad guys and commissioned salesmen have learned this,,,
We (I used to sell insurance door to door) use this,,,
It's the major vulnerability of our times.

Don't fault the OP's wife too much here,,,
It's ingrained in the rules of our society and difficult to overcome.

Aarond

Oh I'm not. I was not understanding if there was some other issue.
As noted we have three dogs including a giant mountain dog (will ick you to death but looks fearsome). I've been informed if there's an issue she just lets people see the giant thing breathing heavily behind the door.
Closed Thread