The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 19, 2012, 06:15 AM   #26
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

I just don't understand why so many fools decide the only place to shoot is the place next to the guy already shooting. It's just dumb. But you get a similar thing in parking lots- 20 year old jocks can't walk an extra 30 feet to get into the building so they all vie for the spaces closest to the door. I drive a junker and I always park as far away as I can get fro the pack. I have even trained my wife to do the same. I just don't understand people sometimes...
Old March 19, 2012, 08:07 AM   #27
davery25

About 3 or 4 months ago i had a scottish bloke with a .50 BMG (HS-50) come and fire off about 40 - 50 rounds right next to me.

Everyone who's been near a .50 knows the shockwave that comes with each shot within a 7-10 metre radius around it. I was about 1 metre from it. I thought it was awesome.

As long as you weren't breaking any rules I think he deserves a slap
Old March 19, 2012, 09:00 AM   #28
TheRoadWarrior

You were there first and abiding by the rules. RO was a tool and that guy was a passive aggressive loser.
Old March 19, 2012, 12:04 PM   #29
TheRaskalKing

Good grief, I hate dealing with goons at the range. One of the things I love most about the gun community is that 99% of the people you meet are the salt of the earth. Great people, good values, super friendly, and more than willing to help in whatever way they can. That remaining one percent, however, is generally absolutely ridiculous. You went well out of your way to be considerate AND you were there first. If he had a problem with you, why didn't he come over to you and say "hey, do you have something else you could shoot while I shoot through my ammo?" Going to get the range officer without coming to you first? That's bush league.

You did the right thing and showed every courtesy anybody would expect. The other guy was just another goon.
Old March 19, 2012, 05:21 PM   #30
jhenry

I usually shoot at my place so I can be nice, a goon, half dressed, or whatever. My range, my gooniness, but always safe.

On the other hand, when I do travel to the nearest public range (a nice one by the way) we do upon occasion run across a fool or two. For some reason, and I do not understand this at all, range idiots around here universally show up sans ear protection. I then break out the Mosin M38 with the Romanian ammo, or something else as equally noxious and pot away. That usually does the trick.
Old March 19, 2012, 06:02 PM   #31
serf 'rett

Afraid I must disagree with many of the previous posters who state you did nothing wrong.

You shouldn't have moved.

I really snorted when I read that you downsized to the lowly .357 mag! Too funny!

I've had times when someone decided to park themselves in the empty spot to my right; whereupon, I tell them my pistol throws brass there and they still choose to park their carcass even though there are other empty lanes. They think my little .22 won't be a problem, only to discover hot brass has a way of getting one's attention. Its soon time to "just smile and wave boys" as they relocate.
Old March 20, 2012, 07:58 AM   #32
rha600

I agree with every one else. You made why more effort than needed really. If I go to an indoor range that lets me shoot my S&W500 I ALWAYS inform anyone that might be within 3 lanes that I'm going to shoot and if they want me to wait I have no problem. Even if I am there first, I know it's not something you really want to be standing next to when it goes off. Even if I shoot my 357mag I will let people know. I've had people a lane or two over come up to me and ask what I was shooting before so I figure even that is enough to get people's interest up, maybe I should warn them first.

The guy just seems like a tool that, like someone else said, thought it was his own private range. It's a gun range. to some extent, if you can't deal with the noise, you need a new hobby.
Old March 20, 2012, 11:04 AM   #33
miztic

I don't understand people like that! they came to a gun range, it's gonna be loud!
Quite frankly, while I was reading your post detailing all the effort you went through to make sure that guy wouldn't be bothered by your shooting, I had a hard time not rolling my eyes, you both paid for time at this range, as long as you're not breaking any rules, you have just as much right to be there as he is.
It's his dumb ass that decided to go in the stall next to you

I'm new to shooting, and there was a guy shooting something big in the stall next to me, the shockwave just made me chuckle.. it did throw of my aim, but then that's part of the practice
Old March 20, 2012, 03:00 PM   #34
Shadi Khalil

Whatever. It's an indoor shooting range and it's going to be loud. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old March 20, 2012, 04:48 PM   #35
briandg

I don't think that people should be shooting super weapons at an indoor range. Lots of indoor ranges don't allow them. but, that's my opinion, and irrelevant to the discussion.

You did what Jesus would want you to do, you put yourself and your plans secondary to his, and honestly, you didn't have to. You could have stood on the fact that you were there first, and until you were finished, he could cool his heels somewhere quiet.

Instead of giving you the same courtesy, treating you as if you also had a right to breath the air he was using, he chose the low road, and worked you over.

your guy was obviously a hater of some sort. Hates big guns, hates this, hates that, and gee, you not only aren't one of his peeps, you also annoyed him. So, he struck out and tried to cause you annoyance.

I was sitting in a park once, smoking a cigar, reading a book, and taking in the sun. The air was pretty still, but to my back. people came and took a picnic table about 50 feet away. Out of maybe 10 available, they chose the one closest to me. Not long after, they started loudly mouthing about my cigar. since they were actually upwind, there was no way they were even possibly inconvenienced, but they just wanted to make trouble.

If I had my sony, I'd have plugged myself in and listened to some bach, and ignored their whining and grumbling. Instead, I moved another 50 - 100 feet away, so I didn't have to listen.

I let those fools win, and reinforced their bad behavior, and encouraged them to do it again. I am ashamed for that. But, I was able to enjoy the rest of a fine $9 churchill. I shouldn't have had to fight for that right to go out in the middle of nowhere and smoke a cigar and read a book without some fool coming and molesting me, but that is the way humanity works.

Some people are worse than pigs.
Old March 21, 2012, 01:31 PM   #36
Pianoguy

Somebody goes to a gun range and gets irrated because of the noise...? When someone is shooting something that really sounds different I don't get angry I get curious and check it out. I guess nobody has been shooting anything that out of the ordinary where I go - lots of LEO and retired folk shooting the same old stuff mainly.

From some of these posts I would think in most cases somebody would end up not being invited back at the range I shoot at- certainly not if they became obviously angry at someone and were losing it. Anger and people with guns - bad combination. I have NEVER encountered anyone who was not friendly and polite at the range and hopefully never will.
Old March 21, 2012, 01:43 PM   #37
overkill0084

This is probably the guy that knowingly moves in to a house near an Air Force Base, then bitches about the jet noise. You made an effort to head it off beforehand. He had his chance. Perhaps he needs to take up something quiet, like knitting or stamp collecting. It's a shooting range, some guns are loud. Live with it.
The only thing I would have been upset about is if I wasn't able to talk you into letting me take a couple shots with it.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old March 21, 2012, 01:52 PM   #38
rha600

Quote:
I don't think that people should be shooting super weapons at an indoor range. Lots of indoor ranges don't allow them. but, that's my opinion, and irrelevant to the discussion.
some places there is either not an outdoor range available or just not easy to get to. Down here believe it or not, as lax as they are iwth gun laws, the ranges are not all that common. I have one that is about 15 mins from my house, it's a 100 yard range that is always packed, with an hour minimum wait and they are anal as hell.

The next range is an hour away. The next one after that is upwards of 2 or 3 hours.

the indoor range I'm going to today with my 500 has a rifle lane that allows up to a .308. What would that guy have done with a .308 rifle going off next to him?

It's on thing to bring the biggest, loudest, most annoying gun you can and then be rude about shooting it. But in this case the OP couldn't have been more accommodating if he tried. He even offered to wait until the other guy was done and the guy told him to go ahead. and then he complains? I'm beginning to wonder if the guy was smart enough to even own a firearm. haha.
Old March 21, 2012, 03:38 PM   #39
Denezin

you were considerate and polite. you even moved for the guy and it still wasnt enough. hell probably thin about his actions and 6 months down the road when his panties aint in a bunch apologize,or hell just be bitter. oh well either way
Old March 23, 2012, 01:51 AM   #40
MarkDozier

I am an R/O and when people complain about noise I check it out and if the shooter is doing nothing I tell the complainer to move to another lane. The only thing that bothers me is those pesky 223's when I walk past the shooters flank.
You done good bro. Keep it up.
Old March 23, 2012, 04:47 AM   #41
deerslayer303

[QUOTEAfraid I must disagree with many of the previous posters who state you did nothing wrong.

You shouldn't have moved.

][/QUOTE]

^^^^ Yeah what he said

Most people don't survey the range before they choose a lane. I myself try to do just that (when I go to a public range that is), I know what I will be firing and I try to see what the folks are shooting that are already there. Most folks are decent enough, but you always have that ass hat that thinks he rules the roost.
Old March 23, 2012, 09:38 AM   #42
rha600

my ranges all assign a lane when you check in, but if you get to pick your own lane it should be like picking a public urinal. you always want to be as far as you can from anyone else while trying to limit who can possibly come next to you later.