The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 8, 2010, 06:31 PM   #1
isanchez2008

Gun hiding spot

I got one for you guys. What are some uncommon/unusual places you keep your guns at home? Sock drawer and the top of the closet are not uncommon
Old January 8, 2010, 06:35 PM   #2
The Great Mahoo

Three places.

1. Gun safe.
2. Quick access "safe"
3. On my person.

Its just that simple.
Old January 8, 2010, 06:43 PM   #3
isanchez2008

Quote:
uncommon/unusual places you keep your guns at home
Real uncommon there buddy

If you have to leave it home and you don't have kids or a safe. Where would you stow it so if someone broke into your home would have a harder time finding it? I say harder because with enough time or luck they would find it. Uncommon ideas and I did say "leave it at home". This means it is not on your person.
Old January 8, 2010, 06:51 PM   #4
Straightshooter629

I don't have any hiding places. My daily carry weapon is either on my bedside table or on me when I leave the house. Everything else is stored in my safe until it's needed.
Old January 8, 2010, 06:54 PM   #5
bangbangshootshoot

^ditto Straightshooter. I either have 1 or 2 on me & the rest are locked in the safe.
Old January 8, 2010, 07:05 PM   #6
ATW525

No hiding places, but I'll throw out some ideas...

Under the kitty litter in the litter box (recommend using a disposable liner).
Inside a box of feminine hygiene products.
Under the trash bag at the bottom of the trash can.
Hanging on the wall (hey, sometimes thieves are stupid).
Old January 8, 2010, 07:08 PM   #7
jughead2

hiding places

if i had one or two i wouldnt post it on the internet
Old January 8, 2010, 07:08 PM   #8
isanchez2008

Lol. If you can't fathom this scenario, you don't have to post a reply
That being said I will go into a little more detail so some of you can wrap your mind around this.

I have moved to a new city and begun a new career I carry when I can. My new residence is a second story apartment so my 1,200lb safe has not made its way over. My large safe will be in my old hometown until I am in the position to purchase a house. I don't have any children and am renting with an old friend. My new place of employment prohibits personal firearms on their property, and all vehicles and personel are subject to random searches when on company property. What all this means is that I can't store my pistol in my vehicle while I am at work, I don't have the option of a good quality safe to store it in at the moment. Quick access and light duty safes will not suffice. They are to easy to pick up and leave with.

Once again, if you have to leave your handgun at home not in a safe, where would you hide it?
Old January 8, 2010, 07:10 PM   #9
isanchez2008

Quote:
Under the kitty litter in the litter box (recommend using a disposable liner).
Inside a box of feminine hygiene products.
Under the trash bag at the bottom of the trash can.
Hanging on the wall (hey, sometimes thieves are stupid).
That dang near put me on the floor!
Old January 8, 2010, 07:28 PM   #10
bangbangshootshoot

Quote:
wrap your mind around this
Wonder how many bg's lurk these forums looking for clues..
IMO, find a friend & 'rent' a section of their safe.
Old January 8, 2010, 07:33 PM   #11
isanchez2008

Quote:
Wonder how many bg's lurk these forums looking for clues..
Or good hardworking folks looking for some helpful advice. I don't know anyone else in this town.
Old January 8, 2010, 07:46 PM   #12
bangbangshootshoot

Hmm, A possibility could be checking your local gun range.
I just have a hard time leaving firearms unsecured around the house.
Old January 8, 2010, 07:50 PM   #13
Rich Keagy

Mine is with me almost all the time (I'm retired).
At night, I keep it on the floor by the bed because that's where I'm heading in case of trouble. I'm the last guy in the world that still has a water bed, and it's a little more substantial than a box spring to hide behind.
But, I don't look forward to discharging my .45 ACP without ear plugs in an enclosed area. I'm sure the neighbors will hear it.
Does anyone use that magnet device that you can attach under desks, etc., to hold a pistol?
They are tempting.
Old January 8, 2010, 07:52 PM   #14
isanchez2008

BANGBANGSHOOTSHOOT

Thats an idea. The point of not leaving it in my safe in my old town is to have access to it when I get home from work. The hours I am working negate storing it on a day to day basis at someone elses house in their safe. The only semi decent idea I have came up with is to mount a magnet directly above the closet door frame inside the closet. I do know thugs can troll the internet looking for ideas and people to rob. Should that same train of thought keep us from discussing our possible self defense tactics where they cans see them?
Old January 8, 2010, 07:59 PM   #15
bangbangshootshoot

A friend of mine who works at a similar place as you, drops his carry pistol or 2 at a friends on the way to work, then picks it up on his way home.
Old January 8, 2010, 08:01 PM   #16
isanchez2008

I'm gonna have to see if any of the guys that are on my squad live in my area.
Old January 8, 2010, 08:04 PM   #17
bohnscot

i would get a hard case and store it in the engine compartment they wont look there unless the dogs alert on that area
Old January 8, 2010, 08:07 PM   #18
isanchez2008

The searches are VERY thorough.
Old January 8, 2010, 08:21 PM   #19
rbernie

Lots of places to stash a handgun when expediency requires it and if it's not likely to create an immediate safety hazard.

According to the local gendarme, most casual 'smash-n-grab' house thieves toss the master bedroom/closet, the office/TV areas, and the kitchen/common area/wherever the mail lays. They're looking for cash, drugs, or easily portable 'tronics. That leaves a lot of areas of the place that they'll NOT look.

Heck, I know a guy whose house was ransacked and the thieves never noticed the handgun positioned behind the books on the bookcase near the front door.... He now uses small handgun safes bolted to bookshelves that are then bolted to the wall. It's not perfect, but they're unobtrusive and a thief would have to be pretty determined or armed with some hardware (crowbar or such) to make off with them...
Old January 8, 2010, 08:21 PM   #20
somedudefromhouston

a locked vault box in the trunk of your car might(should) be exempt from the employers petty policy. It would require a search warrant on the street if a LEO wanted to look inside it .Otherwise a small safe screwed to the floor in the apartment in a location that prevents levering it off the floor, the carpet wont show a few small screw holes.
In addition to the other ideas, the old gun in the cutout book trick, laundry detergent box, dog food bag, really anything that allows for hiding in plain sight. I reckon a thief is going for the usuals, night stand, sock drawer, hall closet top shelf etc. Get creative, you arent trying to outsmart Mensa candidates with this. Sit and look around you for an hour in your home, it will come to you.
I doubt many thieves troll forums like this looking for our hidey holes.
I have multiple safes, just because. Only a a few guns outside the steel box at anytime. 2 for the wifey, one on my side, the night SD comes out when I get home.
Old January 8, 2010, 08:37 PM   #21
isanchez2008

Thanks rbernie and somedude. I think you got me going in the right direction

Quote:
should) be exempt from the employers petty policy
Not in this situation. Access is extremely controlled to the area by heavily armed people Maybe thats the reasoning behind not allowing personal firearms, not sure. Don't get me wrong I would very much like to have my means of self defense but that is just the way it is.
Old January 8, 2010, 09:04 PM   #22
treefarmernc

A little time looking around your place and a little money at Home Depot or Lowes can give you options of creating hidden compartments within cabinets or constructing faux walls. As you create these hidden places try to think what if the B.G. tries to look here and how you can disguise it and secure it so that he can not figure out what is actually there. For example if creating a hidden place in a cabinet or a dresser you should keep in mind that the dresser may be pushed over and the contents pulled out. Take your time and make it as secure as possible and to make it look as much like the rest of the furniture or wall as possible.
Also keep in mind if using areas of the apartment you will need think if the landlord or maintenance guy will be able to notice it and to be able to take it all down and leave it as it originally was when you move out.
Old January 8, 2010, 09:16 PM   #23
chris in va

I'm with the Great Mahoo. Safe when I'm not around, on my person otherwise. Granted I can't afford a real safe right now just a Stack-On cabinet, but it'll give the thief a little longer to steal them.
Old January 9, 2010, 09:59 AM   #24
The Great Mahoo

Quote:
Quote:
uncommon/unusual places you keep your guns at home
Real uncommon there buddy
My point is, don't hide your guns, its a reciepe for disaster. Store them properly and save your self some grief from the authorities if something goes wrong.
Old January 9, 2010, 10:30 AM   #25
isanchez2008

Quote:
don't hide your guns, its a reciepe for disaster
??? Not following you, oh and it was only one. All the rest are in a safe.

If you read my posts you can see why "properly" storing them is a problem at this point in time. If everything goes according to plan I will be purchasing a home in the near future. Thanks for the ideas guys