The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 17, 2009, 10:42 PM   #1
HiStandardB

Weatherby SA-08

Anybody ever shoot or own a Weatherby SA08. May be able to pick one up cheap. I haven't been able to find and gun shops in town that have one so i cant even go look at one. Everybody has the rifles but no one has the shotguns. I was mainly going to use it for hunting waterfowl, pheasants, and the weekly skeet league. Hope you guys can help.
Old August 19, 2009, 12:14 PM   #2
BigJimP

Sorry, I don't own one / haven't shot one .....and I don't see them around the ranges in my area at all.

The last I heard anything about them was a year or so ago / I think they were retailing for around $ 650 - and for a semi-auto that's pretty inexpensive.

Personally, I think you'd be better off spending your money on a Beretta 390/391 series or a Remingtong 1100 as a budget semi-auto.
Old August 19, 2009, 09:24 PM   #3
HiStandardB

That is kind of what i figured. I have been looking at the beretta 391 urika, the remington 1100 looks like a nice gun but I would want something lighter. My dad has a 391 and I think it is a very nice gun. But on the other hand the SA-08 is a Weatherby and all the rifles seem to be great guns. Thanks for the input.
Old August 20, 2009, 12:33 PM   #4
BigJimP

Maybe I was too subtle - but Weatherby isn't know for quality or long term durabiltiy in their shotguns. I'm not saying they're junk either ... I would put them in a group of relatively inexpensive acceptable guns ( SKB, Ruger, etc ) .... but not something you could expect to put 100,000 shells thru with no problems.

Lighter is kind of relative / but remember a gun that is 1 lb lighter - will give you about 15% more recoil for any given load.

Benelli makes a pretty light gun / and if you go with one of their synthetic stocked models, with the comfort tech recoil supression system in it, its a pretty soft shooting gun ( not softer than the gas guns ) - but they're lighter for carrying all day. Benelli Super Sport, as an example, is my prefered semi-auto and even with a 30" barrel it weighs about 7.3 lbs / the 20ga version is about 6.2 lbs - it makes it a very nimble gun for quail, etc...
Old August 20, 2009, 04:15 PM   #5
RoscoeC

I looked at one at a gunshop. I was not able to disassemble it so I could actually look at the gas piston, but other than than it appears to be a very
close Turkish made knock off of a Beretta A390. I bought a used A390 from a local gun shop for $450.00. I would not take anything for this gun. It is my clays gun (skeet and sporting clays mostly) and for many thousands of rounds it has never had a failure of any kind.

I have a friend that has 2 391's and he has had similar results. However, the 390 has a simpler gas system that is easier to clean than the 391, and I personally prefer it to the 391's.

Before I would spend $650.00 for a Turkish made Weatherby, I would go for a known quantity in a used Beretta 390, for less money, or the Beretta 391 for a little more.
NRA Life Member
Old August 20, 2009, 11:47 PM   #6
HiStandardB

Thanks again guys. I'm probably going to be looking into getting one of the berettas then.