The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 17, 2009, 09:26 PM   #1
UtahHunting

Finally got to shoot my new Knight

I finally made it to the range today to shoot the Knight Wolverine. I bought this gun for $110 brand new which I thought was a good deal. I am using SST sabots and Pyrodex RS. I started with 80gr of powder and was 1 inch high at 50 yards which is right where I wanted to be. Gun was very accurate. Switched to 90gr of powder and was all over the place. I didn't try 100gr of powder. 80gr seems to be the magic number. For just over $100 I don't think you can go wrong.

This is my first inline and the first time I have used sabots. Previous used a sidelock with round balls. One thing I can say is the sabots are much easier to load.
Old July 17, 2009, 11:22 PM   #2
Mark whiz

You have found that rifle's sweetspot. I have a Knight USAK which is functionally identical (maybe with a tad shorter barrel) and it shoots the same way...................heavy bullets with light to medium powder charges work like a charm.

Let me share my general load patterns for you to try with:
300gr sabots - 80gr 2fg777 or 90gr Pyro RS
350gr sabots - 90gr 3fg 777 or 100gr Pyro RS
400gr sabots - 100gr 3fg 777 or 110gr Pyro RS

All of these loads run about 1500fps (+or- 50fps) and with the right bullet (the 300gr SSTs are really accurate) will cut some great groups out to 100yds and I've yet to have a critter walk away from a hit with any of those loads.

for $110 - you got a bargain!!!! My USAK ran $160 with the starter kit back in 2000
!
Old July 18, 2009, 06:09 PM   #3
Tom2

I just read in Amer. Rifleman that Knights is going out of business so you best buy spare parts now.
Old July 18, 2009, 07:40 PM   #4
UtahHunting

I am not too concerned with it. I still believe Knight to be one of the best made muzzleloaders and I have no doubt parts will be available for years to come. Their parent company is still in business and will continue to make the parts.
Old July 18, 2009, 08:32 PM   #5
simonkenton

Congratulations!!

There was someone on this forum, a few months ago, who I was urging to buy a Knight Wolverine. Was that you?
At any rate, you have one of the great classic inlines. The Wolverine is rugged, powerful, and accurate.
You got that rifle NIB for $110, you ought to be locked up for robbery!
If you are only using it for hunting, you will probably never need any parts.

You have done your due diligence. You are accurate at 80 grains, that is all the power you need. I have killed lots of deer and hogs with 80 grains and the .490 patched round ball.
That 250 Hornady SST will be a great deer slayer for you.
Old July 18, 2009, 08:43 PM   #6
UtahHunting

That may have been me Simon, not sure.

Somebody on here posted a link to YeOldeArcheryShoppe who still has these wolverines on sale at the price I paid. I ordered it and it was at my doorstep in less than a week. I generally only use my black powder rifles for hunting so it should last me a lifetime. I bought 300 of the red cap things for the primers and I doubt I will ever use them all.

I am very happy with the gun. I don't think there is a better deal out there.
Old July 19, 2009, 06:22 AM   #7
simonkenton

Yeah, that was me who posted the link to YeOldArcheryShop.

I have never even fired a Knight, I have T/Cs, a Savage inline, Civil War Repros, cap and ball pistols, etc.
But I have read up a lot on the Wolverine online and I know what great guns they are.
I am glad you are happy with your rifle.