The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 5, 2006, 06:39 PM   #1
keens

Scratched matte finish stainless barrel

I dropped my pride and joy last Sunday...scratched the stainless barrel in my Remmy 5R .308 in two places. I was wondering if a gunsmith can buff out the scratches and re-glass bead (?) the barrel without damage. The scratches are not deep, but you can see and feel them...it just bugs me on a brand new rifle that I saved for oiver a year to buy.
Old April 5, 2006, 07:00 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Yes, the scratches can be polished out and the barrel bead blasted.

One "look out".
Make SURE the bead blasting is done in a blaster that's used ONLY for stainless and aluminum.
A blaster that's been used to blast carbon steel will embed carbon steel particles into the stainless, and these particles will later rust, damaging the finish on your stainless rifle.
Old April 5, 2006, 08:47 PM   #3
keens

Thank you, that makes me at least have hope it can look new again.
Old April 5, 2006, 08:56 PM   #4
glockfan1963

Opps

Sorry to here that sir. I am a fanatic over my firearms among other things, so i know exactly how you feel. hope it all works out for ya