The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 19, 2006, 05:22 PM   #1
TOM REGEL

H & R 10 Gauge Double .....info Please

GENTLEMEN:
I am new to the forum and am seeking information about my newly acquired H& R 10 gauge double shotgun. The gun is a 2 7/8 inch 32 inch double in excellent condition.
It apparently was made under a license from Westley Richards and is so marked on the barrel flats. The gun is also apparently an acid etched steel barrel gun not damascus. Any information regarding when it was made or different grades, etc. would be appreciated. The previous owner had the chambers opened to 3 1/2 inches from the original 2 7/8 inches but I am reluctant to shoot anything in the old gun except 2 7/8 inch ammo. In the interim I have bought a set of Gauge-Mate inserts and intend to shoot 2 3/4 twelve gauge ammo in the gun. I intend to shoot 3 1/4 dram loads to start and hope to be able to shoot 3 3/4 dram loads as well. Any ideas, cautions, info or advice would be appreciated.
Old January 19, 2006, 10:41 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

OKkkay.....

First, I wouldn't fire this until a good smith you're willing to trust your life to looks this over. And you will be trusting your life to him or her.

Amateurs have no business lengthening chambers, honing bores or choke and so on. But they keep on trying.

If too much metal is removed, it's not a shotgun, it's a grenade.

Also, I doubt seriously that even with the chokes opened, this will handle much non toxic shot, though Bismuth may work.

On the positive side, many of these old warhorses are capable of serving in the field and on the range with inserts. Call Briley for info.

And, restoring an old soldier like this to active duty is a project of merit.

FYI, the old 2 7/8" basic load was either 1 1/4 or 1 3/8 oz.

HTH.....