The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 2, 2000, 09:46 PM   #1
Spirex288

How can I tell if a tagged "Rem 700PSS" is really a PSS version?
I found one at a store for about $700ish but mentally questioned if it was real or not. It looked like one though.
Thanks folks.
Old May 2, 2000, 10:48 PM   #2
Sling Shot

Get the serial number of the rifle and call Remington. But doing that would guarantee that you had a PSS receiver. Stock, barrel, and bolt could be different. The VS receiver and barrel are the same as the PSS, and there are minor differences in the stock. Mainly a larger palm swell and wider forend, but both stocks made by HS Precision.
Sling Shot
Old May 2, 2000, 11:08 PM   #3
El Rojo

Lets see, first, it should have a big flat black stock with three QD sling mounts, one in the back and two in the front. Two, the heavy barrel finish should also be a flat black. The bolt should also have a all matt black bolt. My question would be do you trust this particular gun dealer?
Old May 3, 2000, 09:39 AM   #4
MTB

The Rem 700 Vs series does not have the same barrel as the PSS. The actions are the same on both rifles. The main difference in stocks is that the VS is a traditional hunting style synthetic one while the PSS has the larger, thicker version (as mentioned above).

Not sure why someone would want to tag a rifle as a PSS if it wasn't. If the rifle is at a gun store then you can look at the box and/or the paperwork that came with the gun. If it's at a gun show, I guess you could have an unsavory person mismarking rifles, but if you don't feel good enough about the person to trust that they didn't mismark the rifle, then why would you trust that the barrel isn't shot out? ---Thomas
Old May 3, 2000, 10:34 PM   #5
Sling Shot

I beg to differ. The 700 VS and PSS or P have the same barreled action. They both looked the same to me, and in the reviews that I read, they are the same. If it is not the same, what is the difference? And please do not tell me that the PSS has a custom barrel. Sling Shot
Old May 3, 2000, 10:45 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

Concur with SlingShot regarding the PSS & Varminter. The difference is in the stock. My personal preference would be towards the Varminter as the stock is more wieldy in the field. It's quite something to carry something which is bulky (squarish foreend of the PSS and thicker pistol grip) as opposed to a slimmer and handier Varminter.

I'm not sure why anyone would "forge" a common rifle. If the rifle is new, compare the serial number with the label on the carboard box. Not scientific, but it's an easy way to verify it without calling Remington.
Old May 3, 2000, 10:55 PM   #7
Sling Shot

Click here for review of 700 PSS