The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 9, 2013, 08:43 AM   #1
DarcyPotter1

help no hands on with Savage 110BA

my 22 year old son has been waiting over half a year for a Savage Arms 110BA338 lapua for long range plinking by this i mean bagging the gong at 1000 meters and out we built a 1600 meter range and i understand that the firearm is on a long wait list here in west Canada but would he be better off with a Barret the only hands on i have with Savage is the 99c and 99e that i have had for 25 years inherited them.I am paying for this firearm as have a 1000 buck deposit on it the same store has a Barret 50 BMG sitting and the price is 2.5 x that of the savage i see 50 BMG rounds in a few stores here but no 338lapua I understand this is a round that is gaining use fast and would cost 1/2 as much as the 50 to shoot
Old March 9, 2013, 09:14 AM   #2
Dan Newberry

I own a Savage 110BA and I really like it...

That said, I don't think the 50 BMG would cost any more to shoot, really.

The factory ammo for the Lapua mag is about 5 dollars a shot, and reloading it costs around 1 dollar a shot.

You can get surplus 50 BMG ammo that is often pretty good stuff for 2 or 3 dollars per shot, in reloadable brass...

50 BMG powder can be bought surplus as well, so if you do a little figuring, I think you'll find that the 50 is just as economical to shoot as the Lapua mag... maybe even *more* economical if you buy surplus components.

And Barrett versus Savage? I'm a Savage guy, died in the wool... ... but the Barrett will hold all of its value, and is a beautifully made weapon.

Dan
Old March 9, 2013, 10:31 AM   #3
DarcyPotter1

Dan are you haveing the same ammo firearm shortages in the U.S we are here and i will look at the Barret today . you say the BA is a great firearm how would you rate its 1000 meter accuracy. and any recomendations on scopes mounts and such would be great i dont have any experiance with this end of the sport at all have 64 rifles and load for over 70 calibers but would not know were to start on this and lots of info out there my son want to mount a Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50mm M1 mil dot scope and he is here telling me if I by the 50 today he will by the Savage himself when it comes in is the leupold on par with Nightforce I see lots of NF on the internet when guys are shooting long range on this end of the range i make a rock look smart
Old March 9, 2013, 10:40 AM   #4
DarcyPotter1

this is a progect i take great intrest in as it has helped my son and i spend more time together . He and i were apart for 5 years due to a divorce with his mother and his twin brother and i build 4x4 trucks together his older sister and i sled in the mountains behind Powderking i know i cant make up for lost time but i can try . Allso ideas on gongs and other targets would be great i have above average welding skills and a good shop on the farm we allready leaveled the ground for 1250 meters and pushed up a hudge earth bank about 16 feet high and the land behind it is mine for 1600meters i am fenceing this area this spring
Old March 9, 2013, 11:34 AM   #5
Polinese

I'd bet the ammo shortage here is worse than anythign going on in Canada but I have no idea....

I don't have the BA but have several other standard savages and love them all.

Also there is a pretty in depth review of the 110ba on snipercentral.com if you haven't read it already.
Old March 9, 2013, 06:13 PM   #6
DarcyPotter1

have not read it i am strait up when i say that i have only sat down at a keyboard in the last 2-3 weeks never tuched a cumputer before then. had other things to do with my life just to darn busy . i was struck by a one tone truck just before xmas broke pelviss,femar,hip tibula fibula so slowed me down lots looking at it as chance to learn so any info would be great iv got time on my hands now lol pecking out one kry at a time . we grabed the barret 50 it will be a while befor i can get prone but by then the 110ba should be in with luck and if the river dont rise
Old March 9, 2013, 06:49 PM   #7
Dan Newberry

The 338LM hasn't even broken a sweat at 1000 meters--that's a cake walk, for sure...

We were shooting at the 1200 yard plate on our long range training site today, and one of the instructor's had his Savage 338LM dialed in an ringing that thing like nothing... shooting 1/3 MOA clusters on the target, using 300 grain Sierra Matchkings...

If you can get Lapua brass and either Retumbo or H1000 powder or something in that burn range, and some decent 300 grain bullets (the Savages have a 9 twist, and will do better with the heavier bullets) you'll have a great shooting set up, I'd say.

The 338LM is a bit more portable than any 50 BMG, so that's something to consider... and the inherent accuracy of the 338LM is probably higher than the big 50 would be, based on reports from around the globe...

Dan
Old March 9, 2013, 10:10 PM   #8
DarcyPotter1

thankyou

thanks Dan Newberry i think you may be the man to have my son talk to i see what looks like a logo on the bottom of your note. were would a person go to learn the finer points of long range shooting and yes i dont have a clue about this . i can skin a beaver fast and am a hek of a hunter wekder and a powerlineman but i will take all the advice i can get on this . travell is not a problem for my son and i would love to have him go though a good course.wind can be a isue here some times blowes for weeks at speeds rangeing from 5to 15 klmph and gusts to 45 i hear temp can make a diff on long range shots to i hunt lots but at 350 as normall range and 450 as long i dont know jack about dopeing at 1ooo yards must be a bitch as round slows and wind .iv had ppl think im being a smart ass when i say i dont know about this stuff but honest i just got on cumputer 2,3 weeks ago and only mags i read are what are left in hunt camp my load manuals dont even have 338lapua in them just been busy for years
Old March 9, 2013, 10:16 PM   #9
Dan Newberry

you can PM me, Darcy... or just email through the bangsteel site...
Old March 13, 2013, 12:52 PM   #10
Carlsbad

I think if you compare the costs to create target quality ammo capable of tight groups at 1000 yds you'll find the 50 is more expensive. Sure there is surplus 50 available for plinking.

The 50 isn't legal here in CA so I didn't really have to make that decision.

Any reason why the remington 700P .338 LM wasn't considered? I just passed on a savage 110 for quite a bit less money and picked up the remington.

--Jerry
Old March 13, 2013, 06:07 PM   #11
thump_rrr

Quote:
my 22 year old son has been waiting over half a year for a Savage Arms 110BA338 lapua for long range plinking by this i mean bagging the gong at 1000 meters and out we built a 1600 meter range and i understand that the firearm is on a long wait list here in west Canada but would he be better off with a Barret the only hands on i have with Savage is the 99c and 99e that i have had for 25 years inherited them.I am paying for this firearm as have a 1000 buck deposit on it the same store has a Barret 50 BMG sitting and the price is 2.5 x that of the savage i see 50 BMG rounds in a few stores here but no 338lapua I understand this is a round that is gaining use fast and would cost 1/2 as much as the 50 to shoot
Sombody is blowing smoke up your behind.
Wolverine Supplies has one in stock right now.
http://www.wolverinesupplies.com/det...Lapua-Mag.aspx
Cabelas Canada also has one in stock.
http://www.cabelas.ca/product/22907/...t-action-rifle
My local gun shop also has one in stock.
The only Barrett .50 cal available in Canada is a single shot.
It's not worth $4,300 IMHO.
A nice Barrett 98 Bravo or MRAD in .338 Lapua will cost you north of $6,000
I would march in there and get my deposit back if I were your son.
Who did he order it from?
If you want more info on where to find things in Canada PM me and I'll give you a few places to look.

Also the Savage 110 BA has had a few issues using 250gr Hornady ammo.
This would not prevent me from purchasing this rifle.
I have its baby brother the 10BA (.308)
Google is your friend

Last edited by thump_rrr; March 13, 2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old March 15, 2013, 01:21 AM   #12
androclese

I own a 110BA in .338 LM, it will perform at 1,000 plus meters very well,even to a mile. That will give some room to grow into it. The ammo can be really pricey, but Sellier&Bellot offer some that is less expensive, but still well made. At 30 USD for 10 rds, it'll save you money if you like to shoot factory. Remington ammo can cost upwards of 125 USD for 20 rds. Hand loading is your friend.
The Rifle is great, the quality is excellent, the trigger is beautiful, and adjustable. with the muzzle brake, and the weight, which with scope will get near 19 lbs, the recoil is not difficult to manage, but wear some layers on your firing shoulder to prevent the odd bruise. Its best to fire from a shooting bag or good sturdy Bi-Pod. You'll love this Rifle, and forget the money you spent on it. The 110 has the 20 MOA scope rail for long range, the 10 has a zero MOA rail for urban sniping applications (police stuff) The pics are the first time out with it, left. 2 shot from boresight @ 50 yds. Right pic, 3 shot @ 100 yds. I will admit that after firing 10 rounds my shoulder was getting tired.
Old March 15, 2013, 03:25 PM   #13
thump_rrr

There is a Canadian gun forum where you can routinely purchase once fired Lapua brand .338 brass for $1.00 each.
It has been fired through Canadian military bolt rifles and is in great shape.
You can usually get 5 reloads out of it if you don't anneal.
This brings your brass cost to $0.20 per round.
300gr SMKs run another $0.75 each
Primers another $0.04
$0.29 for 90 gr of H1000
$1.28 per round
Old March 18, 2013, 08:02 AM   #14
DarcyPotter1

picked them up

the store a major chain was jerking my chain WSS but I pushed up to the top by takeing a differnt path I went through the head of U.F.A who owne WSS as a result there are magor shake ups going on in the Grande Prairie Alberta store . WSS flew 2 Savage 110BA into G.P and gave me the chance to purchase them both wich I did . On the advise fome this forum I went to Edmonton and bought 2 Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50 scopes I just got back a hour ago the only rings I could find are Vortex tactical so if you know were I can find a better ring in Canada please let me know I have seen pix of rings with 6 screws instead of 4 and I think it would increas the clamping power greatly . Dan Newberry has been a great help with advice and incuragment I do have a single shot Barrett sitting at Bartons with my name on it and it will be homebound this week but im thinking it will sit and look mean more than anything I like what I have seen of theas 110BA and my son will show me how to put pix on this dang thing . I look forward to learning a whole new shooting sport and i could use all the coaching I can get any Canadians out there let me know were you shoot and we might be able to get together . I must say that the mess with WSS came down to one guy and he is no longer there and once John Pardo learned of my isues with getting the rifle for my son things moved very fast and were resolved . They even tossed in a Pelican hard case worth close to $300 Oh I posted a Burris 3-9x40 fullfeid ll on a trade line on this forum and it is going to jevyod for free as sone as he gets his shiping in order
Old March 18, 2013, 08:09 PM   #15
Dan Newberry

wow... I'm glad you got things worked out, and it looks like you've got some very nice equipment there.

The six screw rings are possibly the Weaver Tacticals... they're aluminum... and pretty light, so I ended up putting 4 of them on my 110BA's scope... not that it's totally necessary... but suffice it to say, this scope ain't goin' nowhere...

overkill... I know. But that's why I got the 338LM in the first place.

Dan
Old March 18, 2013, 09:25 PM   #16
DarcyPotter1

ok I get the idea cool and I dont think there is such thing as overkill . My son is going to confirme his holidays this week and we will be down to see how this is done sone . I will pm with info when I have it and again thankyou for the great advise it is very much needed and followed as you see
Old March 18, 2013, 09:30 PM   #17
DarcyPotter1

is the atlas bipod avalible down there . I am not finding them up here at all and I was told that they were not exporting them at this time. I am thinking of doing some Dog hunting with this rig and evertone is telling me the Atlas is better for ruff ground
Old March 18, 2013, 09:52 PM   #18
Dan Newberry

I don't know where you can find the Atlas bipod... probably a seller on ebay will have them.

I've got the Harris SLM on my rifle, and it's been plenty strong for the job so far...

Dan
Old March 18, 2013, 10:01 PM   #19
allaroundhunter

Darcy, what type of "dog" hunting will you be doing? Coyote (dog)? Prairie [dog]? Feral [dog]?...
Old March 19, 2013, 06:30 AM   #20
DarcyPotter1

dog hunting

untill iv got the 110ba up and running the longest shot I take on coyote dog is usly a dan dog hail marry at 450 plus with one of my everyday rifles or even my 25-06 on the farm and at that range it is a hail marry for me most of my gear is for Elk mouse deer or bear so one in a while i will connect that being said if they are within 450 it is a sure thing that i will be caseing a yottee if i get on them before they start to run the zigzag patern . there is a caggy old dog that will come by the farm house and he does it at a slow walk but he is out arround 600 all the time and will not respond to call and myson talks yottee darn good . I have a orriginall 45/120 sharps with elivator sight that is a hand down to my son and he did manage to hit a yottee sitting on top of abail at a ranged 745yds off a set of sticks but i swear that one was asleep becouse if he was looking he would have seen that ol chunk of lead and powder cloud and moved out of the way lol lol yes I will use the 338lapua as my cussed yottee dog rifle . The farm is a full 3 sections backed onto a green zone with no neibour for 5 miles so once I get this massivw thing sorted out im confident without to much work that i will be rolling them over at some disstance . I got one yesterday with the 45/70 Chiapppa Kodiak but he was big and close ,about 40pounds and 75yards ,and the made in the U.S.A Skinner Sights are the nicest sight I have used in a long time . So if anyone is comeing through my part of Alberta and wants to hunt Dogs drop me a line I have lots of rifles to pick frome and the loading bench is stocked and the brush is full of the buggers
Old March 20, 2013, 04:08 AM   #21
thump_rrr

Near Manufacturing out of Alberta makes a nice high end scope mount called the alphamount.

Spuhr probably makes the best scope mount in existence.
http://www.spuhr.com/scopemount%20features.pdf

Last edited by thump_rrr; March 20, 2013 at 04:16 AM.
Old March 22, 2013, 08:57 AM   #22
DarcyPotter1

mountswow do they build some nice stuff

Im on my way to Dawson Creek to pick up 2 sets of Burris Tacticall rings for now but will have my son order rings fome Spure I love the idea of thr built in levall and inclimeomeater . Have to have my son do it last time i used pay pal i tiped a company 1200 bucks i got it back but with my limmited expeareance on a cumputer it is best to have him order . I want to shoot today so on with the scopes lol