The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 6, 2013, 08:35 PM   #1
Bob Wright

This happened to me.........

I related this entire story on another forum, so here is a condensed version.

I was having coffee with a friend last Friday morning, sitting on the patio of the coffee shop. Inside were two Memphis Police officers having coffee, and I had exchanged pleasantries with them a moment or two before. One of the officers came out and approached me, and very politely told me he had a two dollar bet with his partner. What the bet was about was if I had a gun or a Leatherman on my side.

He grinned broadly when I told him it was a gun, and said I had won the bet for him, and asked me to lift my jacket for his partner, who was still inside, to see. I did so and he went back inside, apparently collecting his two dollars.

As they left they stopped an chatted a moment and asked how well could I use my Ruger.

My friend added the kicker. He said I could out shoot all three of them combined, I was "a shootist."

Sort of made my day.

Some folks were horrified at my story, wondering why they didn't have me up against the patrol car and frisking me.

First of all, neither saw a gun. They had to ask to be sure, they saw leather. Not enough "probable cause."

And he asked me to expose my gun, which in Tennessee, in entirely legal.

The whole thing was just one very nice experience.

Bob Wright
Old April 6, 2013, 08:40 PM   #2
Texshooter

Actually, sir

that is beyond a "nice" experience - that is a fantastic experience.

One only has to conjure up visions of CT, NY, CA.
Old April 6, 2013, 08:47 PM   #3
Mauser8mm

Fun!

What would have really made your day is if they invited you to the range for a competition!!

It's better to be silent and called a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
Old April 7, 2013, 07:02 AM   #4
grizz223

Awesome Mr Wright. It's cool that my brothers in blue from MPD made a good impression on you and that your friends think so highly of your shooting skill. I wish that more men and women in law enforcment would have better attitudes toward the people we serve.
Old April 7, 2013, 09:22 AM   #5
m&p45acp10+1

Bob I have had some talks with gun friendly LEO's. Once while working as a lineman with a cable contracting company a tree branch ripped my shirt to shreds. I was working less than block from the jail/sherriff's department. One saw my gun in the holster, and wlaked close enough to my side to keep my gun out of sight. He never asked to see my permit. When I asked him why he stated that he saw a nice gun, in a nice holster. That to him said permit holder. He liked my gun, and holster.

Other times cops I know, and see at the range will ask what I am carrying, and I let them shoot my guns at the range. I have had way more good experiences than negative here in Texas. I was stopped in Kentucky on a traffic stop. Showed my CHL, and the officer was pleasant, he asked what I was carrying. I told him a custom 1911, in a Cross Breed Super Tuck. He asked to see as he was considering a new holster. I safely cleared the gun let him fondle, and drool over it, and showed him my holster. He gave me a warning, and sent me on my way.

Last edited by m&p45acp10+1; April 7, 2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old April 7, 2013, 02:23 PM   #6
Bill DeShivs

THREE Memphians here???
Old April 7, 2013, 02:35 PM   #7
m.p.driver

Was up in Cleveland,Ohio and while pushing a shopping cart in the grocery,i looked up and there was a gentleman looking at me,also carrying a maxpedition bag.He asked"What are you carrying?",my reply was a S&W 4553,i asked him what he had, and the reply was a Colt 4 inch .44mag Anaconda.Turns out he was an off duty cop,who said it was a seedy neighborhood,so good call on the ccw.
Old April 7, 2013, 09:15 PM   #8
Bob Wright

Would you kindly explain what a "maxpedition bag" is?

Bob Wright
Old April 7, 2013, 09:49 PM   #9
scrubcedar

Here you go Bob!
http://www.maxpedition.com/
Old April 7, 2013, 11:48 PM   #10
pilot141

I will share my good south Texas experience from about two months ago.

First I go to Wal-Mart in the morning. The local PD has started hanging around the entrance at this store lately. Not a bad neighborhood, but they must be on to something. Anyway, I say hello to the local guy on the way in. I get lucky and score three 50-round boxes of Remington .223 ammo. I pay for it and on the way out I hold it up to the local cop and smile. He asks "What did you score?" I told him .223 and he said "Damn. Do they have any .40 back there?" I said no, and he told me I was lucky today. Yes I was.

At about 1 PM I headed to my local gun range/FFL dealer. I was picking up a Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22. I do the paperwork, pick up the gun, put it in the car and then grab a couple of pistols and walk over to the pistol range to do some shooting since I made the drive. There is a Texas DPS (Highway Patrol) guy in uniform, with his car parked at the range doing some shooting. I start shooting my Sig P226 and strike up a conversation with the trooper. He carries a P226 on duty, but his is .357 Sig while mine is a .40 S&W. We compare P226s and then I ask what he is shooting. He just picked up a Kimber 1911 from the shop and was putting some rounds through it. He lets me check it out - a very nice gun, and he put 150 rounds through it on his lunch break. Cool.

On the way home I have to pass through a border checkpoint (yeah, we are WAY south down here). The guys at the checkpoint know my car by now and they ask me if I was out shooting. I tell them yes, but my main reason was to pick up my new toy. They ask what and I tell them about the M&P 15-22. They both smile and ask if I have ammo for it. Well, yes I do. They say "Nice gun, have a nice day" and I am on my way.

One day in Texas, with interactions with local, state and federal law enforcement. All positive. At least down in this part of Texas, this seems to be the rule rather than the exception. They know who the good guys are.
Old April 8, 2013, 04:02 AM   #11
jolly1

On tuesday morning, 6 months ago I went for some target practice at 25 meter pistol range.

As a member of national shooting association the use of ragne is for free, and as the sport is not so much popular, or it is expensive the range is ussually empty. Especially in the morning during working hours.

So, I took my black powder army colt 1860. A friend came along with his Roger & Spencer, black powder also.
After an hour, or so, when I have just loaded my last cylinder - two dark vans came on range driveway and parked.
A special police unit came out, maybe 12 of them or so.

Their team leader came to us, saying that they have an agreement with range master to conduct their training today on the same 25 meter range, and he was politely (I really mean - politely) asking if we are to finish our training session soon. I said no problem, we are now at our last cylynder and will finish in a few minutes.

(the training was not announced on public board)

He saw our guns, and was really interested in "old fashion revolvers", so we chatted few more minutes, where I explained the details of loading, and shooting BP.

In the mean time, his team (equivalent of American SWAT) lined up in tactical gear, and were waiting for instructions from their team leader, and us (my frend and me) to clear the range.

SO, I took my old gun and fired a cylinder to the target at 25 meters.
Only by luck, as I am no expert - just recreational shooter, so by luck I placed 2 bulls eye hits, and the rest were all in dark black target area.

As many here will know, 25 meter bulls eye pistol hit is not easily achieved, and I made it in front of entire police unit waiting their turn to get on range.(!!)

It must have some impression on their team leader, so after I collected my target (and showed it to him), I offered him to check my revolver, and also my friend's R&S, offered him if he would like to try to shoot it, which he politely declined, but we discussed target shooting for next few minutes, while his team was lined up few meters in the back and still waiting. He tried to aim my revolver, and dry fired once-twice. Said that he ussually trains with his XDM, but was really impressed with accuracy of this old revolvers.

Entire chat was really pleasent indeed in friendly atmposphere, and its still in my good memory.
Old April 8, 2013, 07:11 AM   #12
Beentown71

Re: This happened to me.........

Ohio, I have had two experiences on opposite ends within the last month.

The good: Stopped by a LEO when an doing an exterior job. Said he had a call that a man with a gun was outside a store working (my tool belt pulled my pants down and my shirt was up quite often doing overhead work. Must have been showing). Asked what I was carrying and was just as pleasant as could be.

The ugly: Went yote hunting with a friend. We were hitting farms that were in suburban areas. We just got back to the truck and a local pulled up on us. Gun drawn, asked for ID, we informed of CCW, and he ran us (land owners farm truck with signs showing such, clean backgrounds, guy I was with is a local firefighter, both of us are carrying and have our AR's in the back seat).

After he gets back from running us he goes on a diatribe that he could have "screwed a gun to our ears and has" for having our AR's in the backseat (they were sitting, unloaded and ammo was seperate while we were taking our gear off). Guy also claimed we couldn't hunt this land as he was emailed that no one should be hunting the property. We had the farms tags of the owner as the FF friend of mine works on the farm, signed permission slips and know, for a fact, no one emailed them. We didn't argue as I didn't want to cause grief for my FF friend. Bad experience...
Old April 8, 2013, 07:55 AM   #13
zincwarrior

The wife and were pulled over for a bad lheadlight we didn't know about. Very businesslike. When the wife passed her CHL with her license over (a requirement in Texas), it immediately started a conversation about what she had, how did she like it, would she recommend it etc etc. His wife was thinking about one and he was thinking of a good pistol for her. Sent us off with a warning, and we sent him off with a pistol recommendation.
Old April 8, 2013, 08:33 AM   #14
Dwight55

Got pulled over in Ohio about 1 AM by OHP, . . . probably doing 50 or so in a posted 40 zone, . . . that is just before the red light that signals "Out of town, so hammer down".

He comes up to the passenger window, "Do you know how fast you were going back there?"

"Not really, officer, . . . Pittsburgh just threw a touch down, . . . I was listening to the game, . . . just made my last delivery at the rest home back there, . . . I have a CHL, . . . gun is in the glove box"

"I need you license, registration, and insurance"

"Sure officer, . . . insurance is in the glove box"

The look on his face was priceless as he viewed the full size all steel 1911 laying on the insurance package, . . . loaded, cocked, and locked.

I fished it out, . . . he gave me a warning. Life is good.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old April 8, 2013, 08:55 AM   #15
YankeeSpirit76

So good to hear of these nice encounters between us gun owners/carriers and our Police. I wish we heard a lot more of them.
Old April 8, 2013, 12:32 PM   #16
WC145

Hmmm... I'm a cop, I'm pretty easy going, I try to be friendly and treat everyone with respect, love to talk guns, I shoot IDPA and some action pistol with a bunch of real nice folks. I never thought it was a big deal since I figure I'm just like everyone else, makes me wonder if anybody talks about me like that - "Hey, I shot a match with this cop this morning, couldn't believe it, great guy, had a custom 1911, helluva shot, too".
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old April 8, 2013, 02:05 PM   #17
geetarman

WC145,

My very best friend is a police officer. I shoot often with him and also with his wife.

For every jerk in a uniform, there are lots of folks like my friend. Through him, I have learned a lot about how they perceive the general public. I can imagine it really tries your patience when you are dealing with people who could not tell the truth if their life depended on it.

Thanks for all you do and for remembering not everyone who has a gun is a threat to you.

Carpe Cerveza
Old April 8, 2013, 03:11 PM   #18
Bob Wright

WC145:
Quote:
Hmmm... I'm a cop, I'm pretty easy going, I try to be friendly and treat everyone with respect, love to talk guns, I shoot IDPA and some action pistol with a bunch of real nice folks. I never thought it was a big deal since I figure I'm just like everyone else, makes me wonder if anybody talks about me like that - "Hey, I shot a match with this cop this morning, couldn't believe it, great guy, had a custom 1911, helluva shot, too".
WC145: There are many, many like you. But of late, the Memphis Police Department has had a rash of officers who don't measure up, officers who overstep their bounds of authority, or who just plain commit crimes. These are the ones whose photos appear on the late news and in our morning paper. To those who, like you, walk the straight walk and are credits to your uniform, this must be a severe blow to morale.

I just thought my little "Thanks for you service" cards and maybe a few words of encouragement might just be a day-brightener.

Bob Wright
Old April 8, 2013, 03:25 PM   #19
WC145

Thanks guys, but I'm not looking for recognition, your comments just made me wonder how I'm perceived since cops that behave like you and your friends seem to be something of a rarity where you're at.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old April 8, 2013, 03:46 PM   #20
geetarman

Truth be told, I am probably shooting with more police officers than I realize.

When they are at the range, unless they are wearing some departmental gear or a shirt with a crest/shield on it, the average guy like me would not know who they are.

That is a good thing I think. The more officers who go to the range on a regular basis realize not every person with a gun is a threat. It takes some a while to get to that point.

Most of the time, just striking up a casual conversation does not lead one to discuss careers. We might talk about guns and loading and what kinds of guns we have.

I see a few guys coming out with a drag bag loaded up with stuff and looking at the short haircuts, I am thinking military or LE. Most just stick to themselves.

One thing about it though, I ALWAYS have a good time at the range. It is well worth the drive there.

Carpe Cerveza
Old April 8, 2013, 05:26 PM   #21
serf 'rett

Some officers are gunnies; some are not.

My last two encounters - accident when a guy backed into me and a traffic stop (i.e., license and registration check at road block). Passed license and CHCL to officer as required in our state. Neither officer made a comment at all. However, they were interested in the guy who backed into me with his company vehicle. Seems he didn't have a current drivers license but did have unsettled "account" showing outstanding amount owed to the state. They toted that poor boy down to the station.
Old April 10, 2013, 04:24 PM   #22
markj

Quote:
The whole thing was just one very nice experience
Sounds like it, good going.
Old April 10, 2013, 06:27 PM   #23
stu925

In general most of my experiences with local LEOs has been positive and although I've never had a situation where they knew I was carrying I don't imagine it would be an issue for most. I have also run into a few with real attitude problems but they are rare and you do what you can to ease the situation and move on with your day. Glad to hear all of these positive experiences.

Stu
Old April 11, 2013, 08:35 AM   #24
CajunBass

My experiences with the police have been few and far between. They boil down to when open carrying, totally ignored, and a couple of times when I've handed my CHP over with my DL, the CHP was handed back with "I don't need that." End of gun discussion.

Now, my wife will strike up a conversation with a LEO in a heartbeat. "What do you carry?" Do you like it? What did you have before? Which did you like better?....Meantime, I'm rolling my eyes and saying, "Come on. We need to go...He/She needs to go.."
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old April 11, 2013, 12:18 PM   #25
scrubcedar

Cajun, sounds like me, only it's my wife rolling her eyes while I talk to the LEO