The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 9, 2010, 08:47 PM   #1
Airborne Falcon

Oops, another Alaska question ....

Boy this is shaping up to be very expensive.

Working with Totem on the details for the household goods, waiting on a quote from Linden to take our stuff just north of Seward.

Still hesitant about discussing too much in terms of what guns I am taking with the TOTEM agent I've been working with - but I have to have my manifest finalized by the end of the month.

This is going to our "summer" cabin/property. Our main residence will remain in SC.

Should I worry about what I put inside the trailer? It's a full sized 40 foot container parked out here and it'll be full when we're done because we sold another house in the mountains and emptied it into this container, plus my wife is including more junk naturally ... she thinks I am setting her up to end up staying up there. (She may be right.)

We were told to pack it full and take everything you might need because everything triples in price once we get up there.

Anyways, I want to pack a bunch of ammo, powder, reloading components too and was told it is a don't ask, don't tell deal with these containers and that they'll never be cracked open between here and our final destination.

I bought the container so even it will stay on the property up there once dropped.

Alaskans reading this ... what's the deal. What's the skinny. Can I pack a dozen big handguns and a dozen rifles and a few shotguns and a ton of ammo and powder and projectiles into the front of this container and get away with it?

I am afraid that if I ask my agent it might raise some sort of flag.

We're taking a bunch of food stuff, rice, beans, etc. Stuff that was in the old bug out mountain home ... plus other stuff from this house. This container will be filled to the brim one way or the other ... we do not want to have to buy anything for awhile once we get there but the only way to really save money on the weight of shipping is to pack it full.

We've got a 1999 Land Cruiser going with it and some spare parts we were told to take ... it's getting the heater package for the engine before we go.

It's the guns I need to get up there.
Old March 9, 2010, 09:39 PM   #2
kraigwy

I had your same concerns when I retired from APD and moved to my retirement home in Wyoming.

My concern was Weight, Canada, and US Customs.

But, the container was put on a container ship to Seattle, then by rail to Rapid City (closest big town). I was given a tag, and I used my padlock. I was the only one who had a key, and the only tag.

I had lots of guns, ammo, reloading supplies, including a fair quanity of gun powder. Not to mention a supply of lead, two lathes, milling machine and other machiney. Also my 51 Chev flat bed.

I have to admit I was worried, turns out everything went off without a hitch.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 9, 2010, 11:25 PM   #3
Wildalaska

If you are running Totem, they are good folks.

But, you should be honest with them. See, if Totem barges powder without the Hazmat certifications and gets caught, and its your powder, they will pass their Fed misery on to you, and that is not pretty

Times have changed kraig. Folks cant even ship on Alaska air without being a "known" shipper.

Everything does not triple in price in Alaska, exception being the deep bush.

Wildabout15%higheronsomeitemsAlaska TM

PS you can buy rice and beans at cosco cheaper than paying the freight to Seward
Old March 10, 2010, 01:18 PM   #4
tet4

WildAlaska - could you post a list of items that you would bring for setting up a summer home in Alaska? Just curious as it might help people with preconceived notions about the current state of the state. I have no plans or desires to get a summer home up there (it would be beautiful, I'm sure though) but I'm just very curious as to what you would bring and how you would structure the move and such. Think of it as a modern day Oregon Trail trip. :-)
Old March 10, 2010, 01:29 PM   #5
Wildalaska

Quote:
WildAlaska - could you post a list of items that you would bring for setting up a summer home in Alaska?
Clothes and toothbrush.

Juneau, Anchorage, Fairbanks and Kenai-Soldotna have all you need.

WildandastomanythingsyouarebetteroffbuyinghereAlaska ™
Old March 10, 2010, 02:48 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

WA, if they don't sell toothbrushes up yer way, I could buy them here for you and ship to you... Just send me via PM your CC info...
Brent
Old October 15, 2010, 05:10 PM   #7
Airborne Falcon

Made it.

Back in the SE for the winter.

Life it good. Went smooth and without a hitch.
Old November 3, 2012, 08:36 AM   #8
Airborne Falcon

Another summer gone by in a hurry - back home in the SE for the winter.

WA, you using Hughes net? I'm thinking of putting that in when we return in May.