The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 19, 2012, 12:25 PM   #26
SerenityNetworks

Well, I finally made it out to the range (topgunshootingclub.com). I shot 33 rounds. On the last half-dozen or so, my shoulder was tender. I quit at 33, as I didn't want to start flinching. I'm sure I'll 'toughen up' with practice and I imagine some of the issue may have been less-than-perfect technique. Yesterday and today, I can feel/tell I've been shooting, but I can't really say my shoulder is sore. For hunting, I probably won't bother with any kind of recoil pad. But for a bunch of shooting at the range, I think I'll order a PAST pad and see how I like it. I'm kind of doubting I'll need anything more, unless have a windfall of money and can afford to shoot a lot more.

BTW, after I got the scope adjusted from the original bore sighting, I was consistently shooting 1.5" groups at 200 yards (from a plastic table with a light sandbag). For not having shot a rifle in 38 years, I was quite pleased with my initial results.

Thanks again for the tips,
Andrew
Old March 20, 2012, 01:33 PM   #27
btmj

Quote:
I shot 33 rounds. On the last half-dozen or so, my shoulder was tender
That is about as good as you can hope for with no recoil pad. If you put a pad on, you could probably double the number of shots before discomfort sets in.

Quote:
I was consistently shooting 1.5" groups at 200 yards (from a plastic table with a light sandbag). For not having shot a rifle in 38 years, I was quite pleased with my initial results.
Very nice... Not having shot a rifle in 38 years, you did really good. Unfortunately, you did not leave much room for improvement !
Old March 20, 2012, 01:53 PM   #28
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
It's just like riding a bike !

Tags
recoil