The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 17, 2011, 08:14 PM   #1
Winchester_73

I Let this Colt 1911 get away - did I do the right thing?

So I found this colt 1911 pre black army recently on gb. I bid it up to $1325 and let go, and it only went for $1380. I'm wondering if I let a great one go or if I was right to let it go for that kind of money, $1400 approx. The seller didn't mention the mag or the barrel specifically BUT claimed the gun was all original.The gun was not mint, but it that been there done that, that character look to it that I actually really liked.

Was I foolish? Did it sell for too much? I'm not an expert on these. Here is the auction which has closed:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=246202049

It would have been my first GI 1911 so I was excited but alas, it was not meant to be. I can't have them all I guess.
Old August 18, 2011, 12:09 PM   #2
Slowhand

Knowing When to Stop

Been there and done that, when it comes to bidding on sales on Gun Broker. I usually do my research of the item being offered and set a limit on how much I'm willing to pay. Then I grit my teeth and watch it go.

$1,380. was a good price but... had you bid again who knows how far it could have gone?

I've seen several prices just get crazy when 2 or 3 people just got to have it. No thanks.

Better luck next time.
Old August 18, 2011, 03:59 PM   #3
Winchester_73

Quote:
$1,380. was a good price but... had you bid again who knows how far it could have gone?
I don't think it was too great of a price if it had the wrong barrel and or wrong magazine. The one grip panel could also use replacing.

An old gun guy from WV once said "if you don't get it, you FORget it!"

I chased one down recently myself, so I know all too well how when 2 guys want it, how it can be. I also sold a few that came down to 2 different guys, who were too big for the town, if you know what I mean.
Old August 18, 2011, 04:18 PM   #4
Skadoosh

That is a pretty nice old government Colt. IMO a fair price too.
Old August 19, 2011, 02:19 AM   #5
Slowhand

When Gun Broker Bids Are Too Big For Town

Winchester 73

Too bad you didn't get it. But for that kind of money I would rather find one in a local gun shop and do some hands on looking.

Final bids on Gun Broker amuse me sometimes. Especailly when the highest bidder has some low numbers showing for previous wins. I watched a revolver go for $699.00 last week. I bought one like it last year for $365.00.

Last edited by Slowhand; August 19, 2011 at 02:30 AM. Reason: spe3lling
Old August 19, 2011, 04:43 AM   #6
gyvel

The price was acceptable, but not a great bargain. Basically average for this condition 1911. More than likely the value will go up in the future (barring catastrophic legislation or severe financial upheaval), but for now, you would have paid an "average" price at $1400.00.

My last 1911 on GB was gotten for $1025.00 just a couple months ago, and was about the same condition as that one.