The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 27, 2009, 05:33 PM   #1
waltfraz

Slide release more thumb area

I have been looking for a slide release for sti 9mm with more thumb area.They say you can use a 45 slide release in a 9mm if you use mags that have a full metal follower.I was thinking about extended release and reworking it so it is not as long or tig welding more metal on thumb area.Does anyone know of anyone that will build a custom slide release with more thumb area for 9mm 1911 compact
Old December 27, 2009, 07:43 PM   #2
drail

I don't know is you are set up for precision welding but if not I would recommend just getting an extended stop and whittling it down to what you like. I think that would be considerably less expensive than having a custom one made up. Are you having trouble reaching it or getting a good pruchase on it?
Old December 27, 2009, 10:59 PM   #3
waltfraz

No trouble in reaching it but not enough thumb area to push it down after firinig a couple of mags.I thought a little more larger thumb area would make it easier to release.Everyone I tried said they don't make a extended slide release for 9mm.I don't mind paying the money if someone could make a cuctom slide release
Old December 27, 2009, 11:21 PM   #4
dahermit

Are you aware that the slide release should be pressed with the thumb of the left hand after a reload, not the right thumb?
Old December 28, 2009, 09:56 AM   #5
drail

If it's hard to press down then something is wrong. It should be very easy to press down with a stock slide stop unless you have some sort of physical handicap. Also be aware that extended slide stops have more mass and generally cause far more problems than they solve. (like engaging with rounds remaining in the magazine.)
Old December 28, 2009, 10:42 AM   #6
waltfraz

The reason I use my right hand is I am handicapped on my left side.I don't have any real trouble with my other guns slide releases only sti.Other people have tried it and they also say it is very hard to release.I think the problem is they don't give you much thumb area.I like the gun and would like to be able to use it.Some said to do away with the tab on the release and it woul not stay open when empty.
Old December 28, 2009, 06:50 PM   #7
drail

It is a fitting problem. You apparently have excessive friction somewhere or an overly strong plunger spring. A good smith should be able to fix it very easily.