The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 6, 2001, 02:07 PM   #1
Rob Pincus

Help...

I've come across what appears to be Mauser 7.65mm pistol from the first half of the century. This one has no discernable model number.

Markings are as follows:

Ser #: 63### left front of slide, also the last three of the ser# are on what appears to be a "barrel lug" and the bottom of the side plate. The full # is on the back of the frame. All match.

"WAFFENFABRIK MAUSER A:G.OBERNDORFA.N.MAUSER'S PATENT" is on the left side of the slide.

The "MAUSER" logo is on the left side plate.

On the top of the slide there is a a hard to discern proof mark in front of and behind the rear sight. The front is a crown with what might be a double eagle below it. Behind the sight are two crowns with a "U" under them.

No other markings.

The the barrel is about three inches beyond the chamber.
Grips are a lightly checkered wood, one piece. Single grip screw.

The safety is activated by pushing a lever down. the lever is in the same position as a Sig P-series decock lever. The safety is release by pressing button directly under it, which looks like a modern mag release button.

The mag is actually released by a "european" style catch on the bottom.

The weapon has an exposed striker and an operational magazine safety.

After checking the standard resource (BBoGV), my best guess is that it is a military proofed Pocket Model 1914 worth about $150. Anyone familliar with these pistols, their value or their history?
Old June 9, 2001, 06:13 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

I have sent two photos for identification. If one of them is your gun I can provide dissassem w/photos on either.

Hope this helps
HJN
Old June 9, 2001, 06:20 AM   #3
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Is this the one?

HJN
Old June 10, 2001, 11:44 AM   #4
johnwill

What you have is a Mauser 1914. I have that pistol, as well as it's little brother, the 1910 in .25ACP. As far as the value, the best reference I have is my BBoGV 22nd Ed., so you've already got as much info as I do on price.
Old June 13, 2001, 12:51 AM   #5
a mechanic

same firearm and need value

I have the same mauser you discussed in the 25 cal. Serial # in the 216,000 range, all numbers match, condition is about 90%, I need the value of this piece.
Thank You